Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #121
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I said this a least week. There's a lot of good defensemen that get left off Team Canada but Brodie in particular is at the age where you would think they would want him as a staple for future tournaments. Eliot Friedman said on 960 last year that one GM told him that you look at the Flames GAA and they just don't feel they play the type of game Team Canada looks for.
I think there's some truth here. And it's why BT was negotiating so hard with Johnny. Until a team starts winning with some consistency, you need to be careful about evaluating too many players as "good" or "great". Even bad teams have players with good results. That's kind of a scary thought.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #122
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why anyone is trying to make a case for either Gio or Brodie being on team Canada right is beyond me. Sure they could have been but so could a handful of other guys. And Gio and Brodie have been brutal so far this year.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2016, 09:20 AM   #123
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brian Burke. He's been trading on a reputation he didn't earn for decades.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #124
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Deryk Engelland - he is our 6th maybe 7th best defenceman at best. But people think he is better than Hamilton because of "grit"
Engelland in my mind is easily the most underrated Flame by this board and Flames fan base.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #125
zyzz
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bennet, I think he needs to see some AHL time
zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #126
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All of them. Especially the prospects. Except for the usual scapegoats (Wideman, Bolig, Grossman etc) the players aren't nearly as good as we think they are.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:13 PM   #127
axgq
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I would have to say Giordano. Ever since his injury he just doesn't play the same game anymore.
axgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #128
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

D. Hamilton.
RoughRiderRowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #129
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
It tells me that Hockey Canada isn't interested in bringing the best players.
Not putting Giordano and Brodie on the team is the exact same as not putting Taylor Hall on the team.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #130
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
The most ludicrous thing about this thread is that this board is unbelievably hard on Flames players. It is a wonder most people around here cheer for them at all given how much loathing there is. The expectations seem to be either you are the best player in the world, at which point we will defend you to the death (see Iginla, J) or you are a scrub. Given this, it is impossible for anyone to be OVERrated, as in generally considered to be of higher quality than has been shown. In fact, there are only two candidates at all, by virtue that there are only two players that everyone seems to actually like: Gaudreau and Brodie. And they aren't even overrated as much as they are just simply appreciated period. Everyone else on the team is either being crapped on, traded for someone else, or is under consideration for being a bust or a miscast player playing over their head.

Maybe it's time to start liking the Flames players for a change. Might be more fun.
Yeah, apparently you're unfamiliar with FlashWalken. He was quite literally the biggest Iginla hater in the entire world. There wasn't a thing Iginla could do right in his eyes.

He even had an avatar of Iginla with a bloody face until he was traded. It was so odd, as he seemed like a pretty level headed poster outside of that obsessive hate.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #131
KipperFaNaTic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good thread OP. It's good to take some humble pie every once and a while.

As for my opinion: Dougie Hamilton. Looks like he's stuck in mud half the time.
KipperFaNaTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #132
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think people like Brodie and Johnny get a pass, rightly or wrongly, because even when they screw up they usually or at the very least are capable of making up for it. A Grossman, Wideman or Engelland donīt have that ability. I get that Engelland would be a decent number 6 at half the cap hit but when he lets Foligno beat him like a rented mule or screens the goalie like he did against St. Louis, the chances of him attoning for it are almost none due to his limited skill set.