Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #21
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I have a Kindle and my fiancé has a Kobo while we also share an iPad. The kindle is awesome. The kobo is great too, but we've had a fair amount of technical problems with it. I also use the kindle app on my phone, but rarely on the iPad. It's just too heavy.

My opinion is that you can't really go wrong with any purchase, but for a reader, don't look to the iPad.

The bookstores seem pretty comparable. I find that it's fine not being able to borrow books from the library to load on the kindle. My fiancé has had a huge problem trying to get it on her kobo.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #22
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Which app market? I'm looking at the Nook Color as well.
Barnes & Noble has their own market which is a subset of the full Android Market, but it's not too hard to get the full Android market on there.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #23
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I have a Kindle and my fiancé has a Kobo while we also share an iPad. The kindle is awesome. The kobo is great too, but we've had a fair amount of technical problems with it. I also use the kindle app on my phone, but rarely on the iPad. It's just too heavy.

My opinion is that you can't really go wrong with any purchase, but for a reader, don't look to the iPad.

The bookstores seem pretty comparable. I find that it's fine not being able to borrow books from the library to load on the kindle. My fiancé has had a huge problem trying to get it on her kobo.
It's really simple
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #24
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkidding View Post
It's really simple
I haven't bothered to try it. But there's usually a string of expletives surrounding the attempts to load books when she gives it a go.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #25
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Which app market? I'm looking at the Nook Color as well.
it's Android, and the Nook Color has a pretty devoted developer base that has turned a decent e-reader into a pretty damn powerful full featured tablet for less than half the price of an ipad
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #26
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I noticed futureshop doesn't have the Nook Color. Where do I buy it from that isn't online?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #27
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Also, from what I've read on the internet a lot of people are saying the Nook Color is hard on your eyes because of the screen.

How much truth is there to that? I want the apps and everything else that comes with it, but there won't be a point if I can't actually read books on it for a long period of time.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #28
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
How much truth is there to that? I want the apps and everything else that comes with it, but there won't be a point if I can't actually read books on it for a long period of time.
LCD screens are not meant for long periods of reading. you need e-ink for that. Your eyes will get tired like looking at a computer screen for too long.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #29
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Also, from what I've read on the internet a lot of people are saying the Nook Color is hard on your eyes because of the screen.

Any backlit screen is naturally going to be tougher on your eyes than an e-Ink screen, but I've read on it for 2-3 hours straight without any really noticeable eye fatigue.

I use Aldiko as an e-reader app which has some excellent brightness and theme options to help with that. The stock Nook app has a lot of the same settings. You can swap the "paper color" from white to beige or black with white text depending on the lighting or whatever.

I, for one, read at night mostly, and putting the reader app on "night mode" and the brightness down doesn't wear out my eyes even in the dark.

ETA: I should probably mention that I stare at a computer screen for about 10 hours a day as is, so my eyes may be more accustomed to an LCD screen than most...

Last edited by MickMcGeough; 08-08-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #30
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife got a Kobo Touch for her birthday a couple weeks ago and spends way too much time with that thing. She says reading on it has been perfectly fine. There have been no problems side-loading books and Calibre has worked well converting things to the appropriate ePub format.

She just wanted an ereader. She has no use for the fancy apps, web-browsing, etc. For just reading books, the Kobo works well for her.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #31
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Any backlit screen is naturally going to be tougher on your eyes than an e-Ink screen, but I've read on it for 2-3 hours straight without any really noticeable eye fatigue.

I use Aldiko as an e-reader app which has some excellent brightness and theme options to help with that. The stock Nook app has a lot of the same settings. You can swap the "paper color" from white to beige or black with white text depending on the lighting or whatever.

I, for one, read at night mostly, and putting the reader app on "night mode" and the brightness down doesn't wear out my eyes even in the dark.

ETA: I should probably mention that I stare at a computer screen for about 10 hours a day as is, so my eyes may be more accustomed to an LCD screen than most...
I've never had a problem looking at a screen for long periods of time either so I doubt it will be a problem for me.

Everyone I've talked to has said that the Nook Color was the best 'gadget' they never spent money on, so I'll probably take the plunge.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #32
kremb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

this link is worth checking out, i'm setting up a little reading station like this at the moment.

http://www.filterjoe.com/2011/02/26/...d-distraction/

here is another cool link comparing e-ink and lcd

http://www.bit-101.com/blog/?p=2722
Old 08-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #33
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a Kindle and I take it everywhere I go. The Kindle uses a specific format, *.prc or *.mobi, and most books available are usually in *.epub or *.lit as they work on all readers except for the Kindle. However, if you download one of the greatest e-reader tools ever created (http://calibre-ebook.com/) you can overcome this. This tool will allow you to organize, tag, add/delete, books to/from your e-reader so regardless of which device you decide on you can use this tool to convert the books to the format you need.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #34
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
No. Just your library membership. They do not have all their books online, and they do actually have queues. In other words, only a certain amount of people can download one title at a time.
One person can download a title at a time, unless the library purchased more than one license for that title. The library can purchase special licensing that allows unlimited downloads, but the cost is ridiculously unaffordable for libraries.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #35
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenayguy9 View Post
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...018ca135deen02

This is an awesome product for reading in bed with an e reader. The wife loves it very much.
I have something similar. Awesome product is right. Much better than turning on a bedside lamp. You can direct the light right at your book, and it won't disturb the person you're in bed with.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #36
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
However, if you download one of the greatest e-reader tools ever created (http://calibre-ebook.com/) you can overcome this. This tool will allow you to organize, tag, add/delete, books to/from your e-reader so regardless of which device you decide on you can use this tool to convert the books to the format you need.
Unless they've added it since I last checked though you can't convert from a Kindle format to an epub format.

I've had one book that was only available in electronic format from Amazon, and it took me a day of hacking to get it into my Sony reader, and even then it wasn't the best.

So that (in my mind anyway) is the big downside to buying books and readers from Amazon; they're in a format that locks you into their 'ecosystem', you can only ever read your books on a device they decide they want to support. Which means that you don't really own your book, and I don't like that.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #37
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have a kobo touch. I use it only for reading. It's great.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #38
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Unless they've added it since I last checked though you can't convert from a Kindle format to an epub format.

I've had one book that was only available in electronic format from Amazon, and it took me a day of hacking to get it into my Sony reader, and even then it wasn't the best.

So that (in my mind anyway) is the big downside to buying books and readers from Amazon; they're in a format that locks you into their 'ecosystem', you can only ever read your books on a device they decide they want to support. Which means that you don't really own your book, and I don't like that.
What formats does calibre support conversion to/from?

calibre supports the conversion of many input formats to many output formats. It can convert every input format in the following list, to every output format.

Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

Output Formats: EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, HTMLZ, PDB, PML, RB, PDF, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #39
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I noticed futureshop doesn't have the Nook Color. Where do I buy it from that isn't online?
They don't sell directly in Canada. But as it turns out, mine is now for sale

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=107939

Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #40
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
What formats does calibre support conversion to/from?

calibre supports the conversion of many input formats to many output formats. It can convert every input format in the following list, to every output format.

Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

Output Formats: EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, HTMLZ, PDB, PML, RB, PDF, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html
It can convert a mobi (or an AZW which is Amazon's modified mobi format) if it's not DRMed, but it won't break the encryption on DRMed books (or else Amazon would be suing whoever writes Calibre).

EDIT: There is a way to remove the DRM from an AZW so you can convert it, but it involves a python script which is beyond what most people could do for themselves, and of course is illegal.