Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
flamesfan55
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Question What Do I Need To Connect My Laptop To My Tv

I have a Samsung rv510 laptop has the monitor in port, my tv is a plasma lg tv has a monitor in port as well as a hdmi port.

If I went with a vga to hdmi cord would I need anything else?

Thanks
flamesfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

If your TV has a d-sub (VGA) connection, then just use a simple VGA cable from your laptop. You wont get any better picture buying an expensive VGA to HDMI converter ( > $150).

Pick any of these cables on this page and they should work.

if you want sound as well (and have a stereo jack on your TV) then get soemthing from this page
Old 08-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless your laptop has a HDMI port, you'll have to use your VGA port. The LG TV should have a VGA port.
The VGA cable only carries video so you may need an audio cable from your laptop to your TV if you don't want to listen to audio on your laptop. This may require an adapter.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
flamesfan55
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
If your TV has a d-sub (VGA) connection, then just use a simple VGA cable from your laptop. You wont get any better picture buying an expensive VGA to HDMI converter ( > $150).

Pick any of these cables on this page and they should work.

if you want sound as well (and have a stereo jack on your TV) then get soemthing from this page
Perfect thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
flamesfan55
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Unless your laptop has a HDMI port, you'll have to use your VGA port. The LG TV should have a VGA port.
The VGA cable only carries video so you may need an audio cable from your laptop to your TV if you don't want to listen to audio on your laptop. This may require an adapter.
Thank you very much!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan55 View Post
I have a Samsung rv510 laptop has the monitor in port, my tv is a plasma lg tv has a monitor in port as well as a hdmi port.

If I went with a vga to hdmi cord would I need anything else?

Thanks
By "monitor in port" do you mean the blue one? That's the D-Sub (VGA) port. It's "out" on your laptop and "in" on your TV. You just need an old VGA cable stolen from an old monitor or something.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
flamesfan55
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
By "monitor in port" do you mean the blue one? That's the D-Sub (VGA) port. It's "out" on your laptop and "in" on your TV. You just need an old VGA cable stolen from an old monitor or something.
Yes that is correct, thats what I ended up doing, how ever there was no sounds. I have the audio cables for it i just dont know how its suppose to be wired. the audio jack goes into the audio jack on my lapto but from there I dont know where to plug the red and white cables. I tried any red and white port on the back but nothing seemed to be working. So I ended up using a pair of old computer speakers along with a sub and have that plugged into the laptop.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan55 View Post
Yes that is correct, thats what I ended up doing, how ever there was no sounds. I have the audio cables for it i just dont know how its suppose to be wired. the audio jack goes into the audio jack on my lapto but from there I dont know where to plug the red and white cables. I tried any red and white port on the back but nothing seemed to be working. So I ended up using a pair of old computer speakers along with a sub and have that plugged into the laptop.
Most TVs have a computer audio input. It's a single port (maybe green) and is probably near the VGA port but maybe the computer speakers are better than the TV speakers anyways.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Most TVs have a computer audio input. It's a single port (maybe green) and is probably near the VGA port but maybe the computer speakers are better than the TV speakers anyways.
Really? I have actually rarely seen on that most plasmas and LCDs I've looked at.

Usually I have to use SPDIF coax or optical or the audio from HDMI or use a 3.5mm minijack to RCA L/R adapter.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Really? I have actually rarely seen on that most plasmas and LCDs I've looked at.

Usually I have to use SPDIF coax or optical or the audio from HDMI or use a 3.5mm minijack to RCA L/R adapter.
Well I'm not checking all of my TVs but the one I just checked (LG) has PC audio in right below the VGA port and I'm sure my other TVs have one also but they are too awkward to get behind without a better incentive. I admit the odd model doesn't and some of the new TVs have even stopped providing a VGA port as it is getting to be old tech.

The best bet if the TV doesn't have PC audio is to look at the manual as one of the RCA cable inputs may be designated to use with the VGA port.

I know on one LCD TV I was setting up a certain HDMI port could be used with the computer audio port when the old Bell 6100 STB only had a DVI out.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The best bet if the TV doesn't have PC audio is to look at the manual as one of the RCA cable inputs may be designated to use with the VGA port.
This. Just plug into the different RCA inputs with the Red/White cables until you find one that works.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote