Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Good antivirus and spyware remover

I just purchased a new computer this afternoon, and when I load windows on it either tomorrow or the next day, I need to put a spyware and antivirus program on it.

I don't care if I have to buy the program or not, I just want a good one that will protect my new system.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You'll get a ton of opinions on this one. Here's my opinion, based on a lot of experience with Windows 98, XP, Vista.

I don't feel like you need to pay money in order to find something that works. There are those who disagree, but that's what I've found.

ANTIVIRUS: I use avast! on all my computers, and have done so for over half a year now. I like it very much in terms of it's real-time capabilities, security, customizability, low resource usage, constant automatic up-to-dateness, compatibility, and design.

If I had to choose a runner-up, it would be AVG or Avira.

SPYWARE: For real-time detection and removal, I prefer Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition. I've used it for a few months with only good things to say. It isn't perfect, but most of the most obvious and annoying stuff it filters out well with few false positives.

As far as non-real-time antispyware programs, I'd recommend running Spybot - Search & Destory and/or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware every once in awhile, or when needed.
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OBCT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Antivirus: Nod32 or Kaspersky both have been in the top 3 detection rates over the last few years.

Spyware: Spybot search & destroy and or Malwarebytes.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tom's did a roundup on most of the antiviral software out there

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/2009-ant...view-1315.html

Nod32 isn't listed/reviewed there, not sure why as it is pretty good.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Antivirus: Nod32
Another vote for Nod32 here, been using it for the last four years and heas been very reliable. It also has a low CPU usage unlike a lot of the bloatware that claims to be great AV (yes i'm looking at you Norton)

Spyware - I use SpybotS&D as well.

Are you using a router as well because that is the best firewall you can have to keep anything out (I know you didn't ask for a firewall but every layer of protection helps)
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nod32 is fantastic but costs a little (~25 a year?).
Avast is a close second, but it is annoying on my wifes computer with audio self congratulations. It is free though.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Kipru
One of the Nine

Exp:

AVG Free gets my vote. Somehow it seems faster than avast, at least in my computer.
Kipru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipru For This Useful Post:
HOZ
Old 06-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Avast is a close second, but it is annoying on my wifes computer with audio self congratulations. It is free though.
You can disable the audio in Avast. I always found the "Virus database has been updated" a bit cheezy and annoying. Yes - you're a friggin' anti-virus program - just shut up, do your job, and speak only when you have something important to say.

I use Avast at home and at work and I like it. We switched from AVG here at work because version 8 of AVG was just too sluggish for us.

As for spyware, I don't do any real-time spyware protection. I find that it isn't necessary for me. Occasionally I'll run an on-demand scanner like Spybot or Ad Aware, but generally it doesn't pick anything up.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here's another report

http://www.av-comparatives.org/image...c_report22.pdf

Just released in May.

It penalized heavily for false positives. A surprising vendor near the top (Microsoft)
Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
Here's another report

http://www.av-comparatives.org/image...c_report22.pdf

Just released in May.

It penalized heavily for false positives. A surprising vendor near the top (Microsoft)
Yeah, lists like that are interesting. I'm sure they're telling, and can be quite helpful to an end user, but I'd probably say that the level of accuracy in the Advanced+ certified category is extreme overkill for the average home PC websurfer. It would be very interesting to me if this test included the free editions from all the software vendors as well.

If I ran a business with computers containing critical/confidential data, then I'd be very interested in ponying up some dough to secure my assets. For interest's sake, some notable performers according to that report, and their associated costs (in USD, before tax, for home subscription, for one user **unless otherwise indicated)...
Note: bolded text in [brackets] is rounded, averaged dollar amounts for easy comparison
1. Microsoft OneCare --- $49.95 for 1 year [$50 / year] **pricing is based on 3 users; it is based on a comprehensive security software suite which bundles software firewall, antispyware, wireless networking and online identity theft protection to the antivirus software tested in the report
2. ESET NOD32 --- $58.99 for 2 years [$30 / year]
3. Kaspersky AV --- $89.95 for 2 years [$45 / year]
4. AVIRA AntiVir Premium --- ~$50.00 for 2 years [$25 / year]
5. G DATA AntiVirus 2010 --- $24.95 for 1 year [$25 / year]
6. BitDefender Antivirus 2009 --- $39.95 for 2 years [$20 / year]
7. AVG Anti-Virus --- $51.99 for 2 years [$26 / year] **pricing is based on purchase of a security software suite which bundles software antispyware protection to the antivirus software tested in the report
8. avast! 4 Professional Edition --- $57.94 for 2 years [$29 / year] **pricing is based on purchase of a security software suite which bundles software antispyware protection to the antivirus software tested in the report
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
Edward Soye
Draft Pick

Kaspersky

I have been using it for a couple of years and it is way better then previous ones I've used

One note though I did temporarily lose all my e-mails when I installed it to my older PC

Also it does not slow things down as much as some of the other ones
Edward Soye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #12
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCT View Post
4. AVIRA AntiVir Premium --- ~$50.00 for 2 years [$25 / year]
7. AVG Anti-Virus --- $51.99 for 2 years [$26 / year] **pricing is based on purchase of a security software suite which bundles software antispyware protection to the antivirus software tested in the report
8. avast! 4 Professional Edition --- $57.94 for 2 years [$29 / year] **pricing is based on purchase of a security software suite which bundles software antispyware protection to the antivirus software tested in the report
I wonder how different the paid versions of these programs are compared to the free ones in terms of Antivirus capabilities. I know the paid ones often include "extras" like firewall/real-time web protection/etc.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use Shaw Secure. It's free from Shaw and despite it (F-Secure) being badly rated and a pig on resources, it's worked fine for me and kept my computer clean as far as I know. It gives Virus & Spy protection, a firewall and spam control, so it's all I need. I've also used adaware and Spybot but they never find anything, especially with the cookie safe and Adblock+ add-ons, in firefox.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #14
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like spybot and run it once a week. The new version has a feature that is more of an active program which lets you know and authorise every change to the registry.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:44 AM   #15
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been running Norton Internet Security 2010 for about a year now and haven't had any issues. I have 6 days left on it and am not sure if I should renew it or download one of the free ones out there. I'm bumping this thread from 2009 in the hopes someone can tell me some of the good/free antivirus programs out there.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Microsoft Security Essentials. better than any paid software i've seen
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
Tyler12
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I use Avast Free, I used to use AVG but didn't like all the add ons that came out with 5 I think it was. Both Good Av's for their purpose.

For Malware and Adware

Maleware Bytes
Spybot
and Superantispyware.
Really happy with these 3. Work great when used as a kit to clean up people PC's. Malewarebytes has been very proven over the years and I feel that Superantispyware is just as good.

I don't like having real time detection running other then my AV, I just do updates and scans at least once a week.
Tyler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #18
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Best full package out there and FREE, CIS (Comodo Internet Security). That with their free DNS servers, you are covered nicely IMO.

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-...t-security.php
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #19
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Avast failed me a couple year back. Kaspersky trial saved my computer when I had some really nasty rootkit stuff, but I don't want to pay annually for AV.

I'm back on Microsoft Security Essentials. It has never failed me.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #20
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

MSE is a nice, free AV for sure, but in my tests, MSE has failed miserably with zero day malware. CIS does a very nice job and includes a built-in sandbox which saves your system by allowing unknown apps to run in a sandboxed environment, out of your regular system. Especially good if you like to try new apps and install a lot of apps.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote