Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Any Python Devs?

I have a very short amount of time to learn Python (or at least enough to develop non-crappy web apps in it). I'd greatly appreciate some advice on what resources to focus on (books/sites/forums/etc) to get myself functional in Python as quickly as possible.

I've got 9 years development/web design experience in C#, Java, PHP. I'm not a beginner but I don't have much experience in anything as hardcore as I hear Python is.

I've got "Dive Into Python" from Phaneuf3's recommendation last year from another thread but I'd love to hear any other suggestions any Python devs might have regarding how to get up to speed as quickly as possible.

Thanks CP devs!

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought Learning Python and read it over a weekend. I found it useful to read through, without even doing any exercises, just so I would know about all the language features. Then, when working on code, I can go "aha! This is the situation where I would use feature X!"

I wouldn't call Python "hardcore" at all. It is designed to be a very developer friendly language. The syntax is very easy to read.

As far as the basics go, there aren't really any "gotchas" that come to mind. If you've written C#, Java and PHP in the past, Python will be a breeze.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

You've got 9 years experience. I very much doubt Python's gonna be "hardcore" to you especially if you've been doing .NET and have experience with with MVC patterns.

Checkout Google App Engine: http://code.google.com/appengine/
You can setup any Python powered app there, from a simple Python app to a full fledge Django powered app. Loads of resources too.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Sounds like my new PM is a bit of an elitist python dev and had me more concerned than I needed to be

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote