Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #241
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I'm not sure I would go after Hayes. Having watched a lot of Boston College over the last three years I was never really impressed with him. He showed flashes of having top six potential, but most of the time he looked more like a 3rd or 4th liner. He actually reminds me a lot of Bryce Van Brabant. I think he's one of those guys that showed a ton of potential at 17 but has never been able to pull his game together until put in the right position with the right linemates. At BC this year he was the guy whose job it was to dig the puck out and get his ass to the front of the net and bang home the garbage. He wasn't relied on for getting the puck into the zone and wasn't responsible to be the defensive guy. He filled that role very well, but I'm not sure I get into a bidding war for this kid because of his success this year. He was not the guy who made things happen at either end of the ice on his line. Of the three components on the line and the Eagles, we got the best two players on both sides of the puck.
I dunno. Former first round pick available for free and we have the cap space and contract room. Nothing to lose here except the cost of his contract. Low risk high reward potential here.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #242
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
I dunno. Former first round pick available for free and we have the cap space and contract room. Nothing to lose here except the cost of his contract. Low risk high reward potential here.
Yeah, if you wait until Aug. 15 and get him for nothing, okay but I wouldn't give up anything for him as Chicago would want at least a 2nd round draft pick, as they will get a 2nd for him in compensation anyways.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #243
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Question for the gurus. If we traded for Hayes and were unable to sign him before the 15 th of August, would Chicago's compensation pick be passed to us?
Old 04-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #244
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
Question for the gurus. If we traded for Hayes and were unable to sign him before the 15 th of August, would Chicago's compensation pick be passed to us?
i believe so yes

edit:
just checked, Patrick White was a former 1st round pick of the Canucks and was traded to the Sharks in the Ehrhoff trade. The Sharks didn't sign him so they got the #55 pick in the 2012 draft.

Last edited by sureLoss; 04-13-2014 at 08:08 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #245
Defiant187
Draft Pick

Flames Proceed with caution....

I would definitely wait this one out until August 15. There are too many unknowns.
Hockey's Future website- " His junior season ended abruptly with a thigh injury that necessitated several surgeries, but Hayes is expected to be healthy and ready for his senior season at Boston College."
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/kevin_hayes/

That statement alone tells me that he still has allot to prove at the next level. Sure, he performed well this past year after the surgery, but that's playing 40 games at the Collage Hockey level. Can he do it at the AHL or an 82 game NHL season and if he can for how long? Suffering a season-ending quadricep injury that required surgery needs to be taken into account when we could draft a similar type player that is healthy, with a high second round pick.
Defiant187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #246
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, this is a no brainer situation. Wait until he's a free agent on Aug 15, and then see if you can sign him. I don't want the Flames giving up any assets just to get his rights a couple months early, especially when those assets will have to be 2nd +, or something of equivalent value for Chicago to bite.

I think Calgary has a very realistic chance of signing him if he goes UFA. Not only because of the Gaudreau/Arnold factor, but I think Calgary offers him one of the best chances of landing a roster spot.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #247
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

It's deleted now, but apparently Dylan Olsen put out a tweet telling Kevin Hayes to come to the Panthers this summer
Old 04-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #248
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It would probably be a 3rd for his rights. Theres no way a teams giving up a 2nd..which is what the Hawks would get if they let him go to FA, but a 2015 2nd. A good equivalent for that is a 3rd for 2014 = 2nd 2015. My logic is that the hawks are not rebuilding and dont value a 2nd that much higher than a 3rd + they prefer to get someone in this draft who will have a year under their belt by the time they would have that 2015 2nd.

Basically Stempniak for Hayes.

I'd do that if Chicago is willing
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:28 PM   #249
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy-Gunt View Post
It would probably be a 3rd for his rights. Theres no way a teams giving up a 2nd..which is what the Hawks would get if they let him go to FA, but a 2015 2nd. A good equivalent for that is a 3rd for 2014 = 2nd 2015. My logic is that the hawks are not rebuilding and dont value a 2nd that much higher than a 3rd + they prefer to get someone in this draft who will have a year under their belt by the time they would have that 2015 2nd.

Basically Stempniak for Hayes.

I'd do that if Chicago is willing
Maybe if the 2014 was more of an average draft, but seeing as the consensus it is a very weak draft past the 1st round and the 2015 is supposedly deeper, I don't think a 3rd in this year's draft is enough.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:11 AM   #250
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
It's deleted now, but apparently Dylan Olsen put out a tweet telling Kevin Hayes to come to the Panthers this summer
Nice tampering.
saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:41 AM   #251
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I'm not sure I would go after Hayes. Having watched a lot of Boston College over the last three years I was never really impressed with him. He showed flashes of having top six potential, but most of the time he looked more like a 3rd or 4th liner. He actually reminds me a lot of Bryce Van Brabant. I think he's one of those guys that showed a ton of potential at 17 but has never been able to pull his game together until put in the right position with the right linemates. At BC this year he was the guy whose job it was to dig the puck out and get his ass to the front of the net and bang home the garbage. He wasn't relied on for getting the puck into the zone and wasn't responsible to be the defensive guy. He filled that role very well, but I'm not sure I get into a bidding war for this kid because of his success this year. He was not the guy who made things happen at either end of the ice on his line. Of the three components on the line and the Eagles, we got the best two players on both sides of the puck.
While I'm not a big fan of Hayes, I have to wonder how much Eagles hockey you really watched this season from this statement. I watched only about a half-dozen games myself, but when I did watch, and from the many highlight packages of Gaudreau I watched over the season, I do think you underrate him quite a bit. If anything, Gaudreau was just as much of a net-front presence for that line as Hayes, and I distinctly remember more than just a handful of occasions where Gaudreau was the happy recipient of very nice feeds from Hayes that resulted in goals or great scoring chances. Yes, Gaudreau unquestionably was the catalyst on that line, but Hayes is much better than just the garbage man you portray him as.

He's a good player with size and soft hands. Certainly much better than your memory of him, and I think it would be a good idea for the Flames to pitch an offer in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #252
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

brandon pirri ‏@pirri91 12h
Hey @KevinPHayes12 cubs game this summer? #cats

The former hawks on the panthers are going to put the pressure on him to join them in Florida
Old 04-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #253
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if that can get Florida in trouble?

Of course it happens privately but if they keep tweeting him publicly could that be seen as tampering from the Panthers organization?
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #254
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Of course it happens privately but if they keep tweeting him publicly could that be seen as tampering from the Panthers organization?
I think for sure the players can get in trouble, their contracts forbid them to talk to another player about joining another team while a team holds their rights. Remember the big stink brought up on whether Crosby called up Iggy to come to Pittsburgh instead of Boston?

However, for the Panthers to get in trouble, you would have to prove that management had knowledge or instructed their players to tamper.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #255
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

I didn't see the Olsen tweet but they can't get in trouble for stuff like the Pirri tweet.

I think they may get a call from the NHL telling them to knock it off especially if they have plans to go after him at any point this summer but player tampering would be pretty tough to prove and if the hawls really aren't going to press the issue not sure the NHL would have a ton of desire to go after the Panthers that hard for it.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #256
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

so what, I'm pretty sure Johnny and Billy have already fired a few texts with friendly suggestions his way
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #257
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Kevin Hayes ‏@KevinPHayes12 Apr 12 Congrats to @PattyBC23 on signing with the @NHLCanes #losingroomatesbythehour

Kevin Hayes ‏@KevinPHayes12 Apr 12 @macdinga @PattyBC23 @BillDaHurricane @pitter_pratter what about meeeeeeeeeee

Kevin Hayes ‏@KevinPHayes12 14h
Getting excited to watch @johngaudreau03 and @BillDaHurricane first nhl game tonight. #lineys

Kevin Hayes ‏@KevinPHayes12 13h Johnny hockey doing Johnny hockey things. First game first goal. Would like to see a better celly tho.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #258
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something interesting to consider with prospects like Hayes, and other prospects, is that with this youth movement happening in Calgary, and the excitement around a player like Gaudreau joining the team, Calgary starts to look like an attractive place for these prospects deciding on what to do with their careers.

Being around a team full of young guys around your own age can be a big selling point, especially after seeing the way the Flames treated Arnold and Gaudreau in getting them signed and delivered for the last game of the season.

While I do think we need to retain veterans on this team, I do think Calgary sits in a good position going forward attracting other young talent that may be thinking about signing, or even others thinking about going the Kevin Hayes route. Hell, Justin Schultz signed with the Oilers as he wanted to be a part of that core. I'm not suggesting being like the Oilers, but they did have that 'young core' factor that looked attractive to Schultz.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #259
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Calgary gets Hayes, #62
Chicago gets #58 and #85

Still equates to a third round pick which is the value of a pick one year earlier (one round later). Helps to balance out the low pick from the Avs by dropping down from the end of the second to the top of the third.

Depending upon what happens with the Avalanche and Penguins in the playoffs this deal might have to change to make it even.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #260
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Something interesting to consider with prospects like Hayes, and other prospects, is that with this youth movement happening in Calgary, and the excitement around a player like Gaudreau joining the team, Calgary starts to look like an attractive place for these prospects deciding on what to do with their careers.

Being around a team full of young guys around your own age can be a big selling point, especially after seeing the way the Flames treated Arnold and Gaudreau in getting them signed and delivered for the last game of the season.

While I do think we need to retain veterans on this team, I do think Calgary sits in a good position going forward attracting other young talent that may be thinking about signing, or even others thinking about going the Kevin Hayes route. Hell, Justin Schultz signed with the Oilers as he wanted to be a part of that core. I'm not suggesting being like the Oilers, but they did have that 'young core' factor that looked attractive to Schultz.
Absolutely, especially since they were all such close friends at BC and I imagine will remain in contact through out the summer.

However, with his brother at Florida along with a handful of former Hawks prospects, the same allure exists there, if not stronger.