Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #781
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Yeah, the interface on the consoles is so much more simplified and restricting that it's quite difficult to actually browse for things instead of blindly scrolling from left to right ad infinitum until you find something you might want to watch.

The PC version has catagories, layouts, etc. that is much more friendlier to browsing the content.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #782
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Thanks, I assume it's all in HD content?

How is the selection of new movies?
Instawatcher lists a total of 1072 titles available in Canada, and 429 of them in HD.

Really new stuff isnt prevalent, but if you factor in 5 bucks a month for unblockus you can watch the entire US Netflix library as well
Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #783
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Instawatcher lists a total of 1072 titles available in Canada, and 429 of them in HD.

Really new stuff isnt prevalent, but if you factor in 5 bucks a month for unblockus you can watch the entire US Netflix library as well
I'm on my one week trial right now actually, and it is much easier than any of the "true" VPN services. Just change the DNS settings on your router and Netflix, BBC iPlayer, etc. work nicely, but the rest of your traffic is unaffected. Plus you don't have the bandwidth issues that some VPN services have.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #784
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was all ready to cancel it a couple of months ago, but the content just seems to get better and better. So worth the measly $8 per month.

Nice to see I can finally finish watching Lost. Working through Breaking Bad, still have Rescue Me, Justified, Mad Men, and the newer seasons of Futurama.

Great value.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #785
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For those of you using unblock-us, and changing the DNS settings at the router instead of each device; is there an easy way to switch back and forth between Canadian and US netflix? Rather than change DNS settings each time? Both have pretty decent content.

99.9 % of my netflix viewing is via PS3
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #786
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
For those of you using unblock-us, and changing the DNS settings at the router instead of each device; is there an easy way to switch back and forth between Canadian and US netflix? Rather than change DNS settings each time? Both have pretty decent content.

99.9 % of my netflix viewing is via PS3
Unfortunately, the only way that I am aware of is to switch your DNS settings, either on the router or on the device itself. In theory, you could have use unblock-us on your router and then set the PS3 to use the default ISP settings. Then your PS3 would get the Canadian version, and the rest of your devices would get the US one. Or vice versa, if you so desire.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #787
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Apparently this was already mentioned in this thread somewhere, but if you use the Chrome browser and get the netflix instantqueue fix extension, it opens up the instant queue for Canadian users. Once you put things into it, the queue then shows up on the Apple TV. Sadly it does not seem to show up on the iPhone or iPad (didn't check anything else). Also, you can only add from the Chrome browser which is a drawback, but certainly better than nothing.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #788
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
And one more suggestion: Once you've signed up, browse the netflix web site (not from your PS3, Apple TV, etc.) to find stuff that you'll like. Browsing on the device itself doesn't let you go as deep into the selection by browsing (but you still can by searching). I search for stuff on my PC and then bookmark things that I want to watch.
How do you bookmark on the website?
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #789
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I went searching for Children of Men on Netflix two days ago and it wasn't there. Checked out the whats new website and noticed it was added thsi morning, that was a nice bonus.

Then I looked down the right side of the page at the massive list of expired movies and was let down. I've seen most of the movies on the expiring list but it's annoying to see more movies expiring then were added. Frustrating to be honest.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #790
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I was naive initially, but I have had a few things on my list of things to watch end up expiring on me. Pretty frustrating, especially when a large number of them are expiring at once (like all of the ones that expire today).

I can only assume that this is because a certain content provider signed a 1 year deal with Netflix for the Canadian rights or something, and we are now seeing the downside of what was probably a massive addition a year ago. The part that I still don't understand is why a content provider would not want their content available to paying customers, particularly when reasonable alternatives are either dying (Blockbuster) or aren't really established yet (other streaming services).
Old 06-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #791
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
How do you bookmark on the website?
Sorry - I just noticed this and realized that I didn't reply. What I do is go to the actual page for the movie, and then I drag the little icon/favicon thing near the address bar into my bookmarks toolbar. I have a few folders set up in there to keep things organized. I'm using Firefox, and I think that the easier but slower way is to click on the star on the right of the address bar and then you can choose a location to save it.

I don't use IE, but I think that the process is similar. Basically, I bookmark the main page for that movie on the Netflix web site as I would any other page that I want to bookmark.

Sorry if I'm either oversimplifying or making it too complicated - there isn't a good way to save a list of things to watch (the US users get their queue, which would be nice here), so I just use Firefox's basic bookmarks.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #792
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

It's unfortunate movies have to expire, but I don't really see how it doesn't happen. I wonder how similar the streaming model for movies is to music? I've read somewhere that streaming album plays generate fractions of a cent for the artists. Totally different products though...

I find while it blows to see stuff go, more quality comes in than goes out.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #793
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I juust signed up and have been watching mad men, but it is not in HD on my tv using my PS3, but it says it is available in HD. What am I doing wrong?
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #794
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty View Post
I juust signed up and have been watching mad men, but it is not in HD on my tv using my PS3, but it says it is available in HD. What am I doing wrong?
If you log into the Netflix web site, there is a setting in there (under "Account" or something like that) where you can manage your quality settings. See if that's set to HD. This changes the quality for your PS3 as well and is account-wide, so if you have an xBox or something else as well, it will change the quality on that too.

This was introduced as a bandwidth-saving measure when our internet companies tried to impose bandwidth caps because they say that services like Netflix were becoming a threat to their monopolies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #795
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do any of you ever notice that some new arrivals like Transformers 3, Thor, etc when they first come out are in French audio? That drives me nuts especially when I have English selected as the preferred language.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #796
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Do any of you ever notice that some new arrivals like Transformers 3, Thor, etc when they first come out are in French audio? That drives me nuts especially when I have English selected as the preferred language.
Doesn't everyone in Canada speak French? It IS Netflix Canada...
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #797
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Doesn't everyone in Canada speak French? It IS Netflix Canada...
Holy smokes that was a bad post.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #798
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Holy smokes that was a bad post.
Oh c'mon now...many Americans judge Canada as being French speaking morons who live in igloos. I encountered it every day with my software business.

And it was a joke...relax.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #799
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's Netflix's giving you once last chance not to watch Transformers 3
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #800
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
It's Netflix's giving you once last chance not to watch Transformers 3
Ha ha. Transformers to me represents everything wrong with Hollywood and I have no interest in seeing that steaming pile of dung again but my kids wanted to watch it.