Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #441
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Do the Flames still have a Russian area scout? I remembered they hired one during Feaster's tenure, but haven't heard much. When they drafted Rafikov, they became more aware of him while doing their due diligence on Nichushkin more than anything while having conversations with Igor Kravchuk.

I am actually a little bit surprised that at least a few later round picks haven't been used on some Russians given that the Flames have (had?) someone over there scouting. Maybe they just had other prospects consistently ranked higher.

^Probably thinking of Todd Woodcroft

Feaster hired Todd Woodcroft as a Director of Scouting in August 2013. He was hired out of the Kings organization where he specialized in Russia and Europe. From what I heard his role in the Flames was much reduced when Burke fired Feaster & Weisbrod a few months later. Was hired by the Jets as an assistant coach last summer when the Flames didn't renew his contract.

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the Isles took Kostin. Snow isn't afraid to take Russians and/or prospects with some character concerns (e.g. Ho-Sang, Kabanov) .
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #442
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I had gotten a year of Hockey News subscription, here is their rankings and analysis.

http://ca.zinio.com/mag-reader/h5r-r...g/416415763/30

You can click on the arrows and see all the picks ranked or you can click the arrows and see the whole magazine.

Last edited by Par; 05-17-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #443
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
I had gotten a year of Hockey News subscription, here is their rankings and analysis.

http://ca.zinio.com/mag-reader/h5r-r...g/416415763/30

I want Nico Hischier, Cale Makar or Nick Suzuki, there is a good chance we trade our 1st round pick but if we do, hopefully we get another back.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #444
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It now requires a email and password, I have no problem giving that but is it ok to do it? Will it go against CP rules, they also had a a nice article on Mark Jankowski.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #445
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

you don't want to do that
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #446
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It now requires a email and password, I have no problem giving that but is it ok to do it? Will it go against CP rules, they also had a a nice article on Mark Jankowski.
The Calgary Public Library actually gives free access to the Hockey News and many other magazines through Zinio for Libraries as long as you have a library card. Bit of a pain to get it set up because the library website is a bit confusing but it's there.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #447
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
No don't do that.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #448
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Good day Par,

I am a wealthy widow contacting you today from my home in Nigeria. I recently inherit $23,000,000 from my late husband. Due to the corruption in my home country I wish to transfer this money to you. All I ask in return is access to the hockey news as a show of good faith as well as a small bank transfer.

Please contact me directly when ready to proceed.

God Bless,
Bear
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #449
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The third overall pick? You think taking on a goalie will move us to the third overall? Even in a weaker draft that's not reasonable, and the old Calgarypuck special "well, toss in a prospect as a sweetener" won't do it.
Taking both of their goalies might get the conversation going.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #450
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the Flames spot at 16. There's some solid options. I favor Tolvanen or Kostin but Petterson, Vesalainen, Anderson or Kostin will be a great snag for the Flames. I'm wondering if Rasmussen should be added but I think he will get the Brown treatment and go higher than media projections.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #451
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
The Calgary Public Library actually gives free access to the Hockey News and many other magazines through Zinio for Libraries as long as you have a library card. Bit of a pain to get it set up because the library website is a bit confusing but it's there.

I got this from a promotion and got some other free things.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #452
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Good day Par,

I am a wealthy widow contacting you today from my home in Nigeria. I recently inherit $23,000,000 from my late husband. Due to the corruption in my home country I wish to transfer this money to you. All I ask in return is access to the hockey news as a show of good faith as well as a small bank transfer.

Please contact me directly when ready to proceed.

God Bless,
Bear

Use half of that money to help your country from Boko Haram and use the other half to get access to the NBA, the NHL may be too complicated for you.

Last edited by Par; 05-17-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #453
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I like the Flames spot at 16. There's some solid options. I favor Tolvanen or Kostin but Petterson, Vesalainen, Anderson or Kostin will be a great snag for the Flames. I'm wondering if Rasmussen should be added but I think he will get the Brown treatment and go higher than media projections.

Would you be favor of trading the first round pick? I think that is what might happen.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #454
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would you be favor of trading the first round pick? I think that is what might happen.
Depends on the value of the pick to other teams. I can see the Flames trade down for sure, recouping traded picks. But then again, I don't think the Flames can afford to no have a pick in the first three rounds in any draft. Believe it or not, the team is still rebuilding.

So if that pick is traded, they're going to have get some other pick in the 2ND and 3rd rounds.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #455
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Depends on the value of the pick to other teams. I can see the Flames trade down for sure, recouping traded picks. But then again, I don't think the Flames can afford to no have a pick in the first three rounds in any draft. Believe it or not, the team is still rebuilding.

So if that pick is traded, they're going to have get some other pick in the 2ND and 3rd rounds.
You are right, we kind of do need a pick in the first round, not helping one this year will hurt the rebuild.

I was listening to the Fan 960 yesterday and they had Eric Duhatschek on and they were talking about the goalie situations for Calgary and Eric Duhatschek said that the Pens may keep Fleury and trade Murray because they have Tristan Jarry and the Pens can develop him, while Fleury play's most of the games and they can get a king's ransom for Murray. Eric Duhatschek said they could likely get 1st round pick + Sam Bennett for Murray(I don't like that trade, they are going to put Sam Bennett on Crosby's wing and Sam is going to score a #### load of points.) Eric Duhatschek also said that the Flames should go after Cory Schneider becuase "Cory Schneider maybe the best goaltender that is available"(because the Devils maybe couple of years from contending) but he would also cost 1st round pick and Sam Benett(don't know why.) So I think that 1st round pick is being moved.

Last edited by Par; 05-17-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #456
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
You are right, we kind of do need a pick in the first round, not helping one this year will hurt the rebuild.

I was listening to the Fan 960 yesterday and they had Eric Duhatschek on and they were talking about the goalie situations for Calgary and Eric Duhatschek said that the Pens may keep Fleury and trade Murray because they have Tristan Jarry and the Pens can develop him, while Fleury play's most of the games and they can get a king's ransom for Murray. Eric Duhatschek said they could likely get 1st round pick + Sam Bennett for Murray(I don't like that trade, they are going to put Sam Bennett on Crosby's wing and Sam is going to score a #### load of points.) Eric Duhatschek also said that the Flames should go after Cory Schneider becuase "Cory Schneider maybe the best goaltender that is available"(because the Devils maybe couple of years from contending) but he would also cost 1st round pick and Sam Benett(don't know why.) So I think that 1st round pick is being moved.

Pittsburgh can ask whatever they want, but following the expansion draft one of Fleury or Murray will be gone. The Flames know this and similar to the Hamilton trade, Pittsburgh may have take the best offer available, that will not include Bennett.
This post is terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to This post is terrible For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 02:59 PM   #457
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's too expensive. I can't say that I am super bullish on Bennett becoming a number 1 centre, but he's a top 6 guy (maybe a little more talented Mike Fisher) and the Flames aren't exactly blessed with many of those.

I'd trade 16OA and McDonald or Rittich for Schneider. I'm intrigued by Schneider but also aware that he isn't exactly playoff proven.

I'd trade 16OA and Gillies and maybe some B tier prospect (Shinkaruk, Poirier, Klimchuk) for Murray. Murray seems legit, but he could also be Jim Carey or Steve Mason.

Like everyone is saying, goalies are risky and volatile. You can't overpay for them.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #458
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Eric Duhatschek said they could likely get 1st round pick + Sam Bennett for Murray
... yeah... that's not gonna happen.

Seriously, They will lose Murray to VGK for zilch if they don't trade him. They don't have the leverage to get anywhere near that kind of return.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #459
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
... yeah... that's not gonna happen.

Seriously, They will lose Murray to VGK for zilch if they don't trade him. They don't have the leverage to get anywhere near that kind of return.
Unless they have easy options to move Fleury. In which case they can demand a huge return for Murray and will only move him for such. If they don't get an incredible offer for Murray then they just move Fleury instead.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #460
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zero chance that the Flames would give up (or have to give up) 1st + Bennett for Murray or Schneider.

I could see paying as high as 1st + Gillies

but what Duhatschek and you are suggesting is not going to happen.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:

Tags
2017 nhl draft , 2017 nhl draft rankings , nhl entry draft