Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #81
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I'm interested to see how The Rec Room does in Edmonton. It's a huge building in South Common. Food, entertainment, video games, bowling, pool, ping pong etc.

http://www.therecroom.com

It just opened up for business recently.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #82
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Arcades are a dying breed in Japan. Hundreds closed last year and hundreds more are closing this year. Companies like Konami who had large arcade divisions have been consolidating their holdings and focusing more on things like gambling (like Pachinko machines) due to the fall of arcade popularity in Japan.
Hmm, didn't realize it was so grim for arcades in Japan as well. I guess the article I read was from a few years back, so a lot could have changed.

It's really too bad, but like video rentals, the market changes, and what was once a viable business model can go south pretty quick.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #83
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
The biggest obstacle I see is convincing someone why they just shouldn't go to Shanks.

That clincher for me would be convenience. Put it in the 4th & 17th area and I'd go. Put it anywhere else and I probably wouldn't bother. Mind you I live in the area so that criteria probably occurs to any place I'd go for a drink.
Going up against Schank's shouldn't be a problem. That place is a dump. Food is terrible, service is awful and there games/mini golf/activities and not very exciting. I'm honestly surprised they are still in business. I think the only thing that has kept them alive is the growth and success of the UFC. I assume a great deal of their revenue is generated on big UFC nights.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #84
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you could create National with video games instead of bowling it could work. But I'm not sure if arcade games are social enough like bowling is
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #85
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I got snap from a girl who was at a Barcade last night and it looked awesome.

The social aspect is a good point. The games would have to be games where big groups can play or take turns playing (like Bowling). The most popular bar game is probably Buck Hunter, right? That's cause it's social, you take quick turns and bigger groups can play.

They definitely shouldn't be coin operated. No one is going to want to fumble around for coins. Make it free play or at worst, credit card based.

The bar aspect definitely needs to be the focus. Places like National (we'll see about Home and Away) are successful because the bar is solid. Great beer selection, decent enough food and a great atmosphere and vibe. If your bar is "meh" then people who aren't into games or are waiting to play games will be bored.

Last edited by polak; 09-30-2016 at 10:51 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #86
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I wonder what the average age of the people in this thread is, are we skewed to the 30+ side with a wife and kids? Is that the target audience? We might recognize the games more than the younger crowd, but are we more likely to go there and spend money than them? Does that mean you need a bigger mix of games?
Old 09-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #87
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I wonder what the average age of the people in this thread is, are we skewed to the 30+ side with a wife and kids? Is that the target audience? We might recognize the games more than the younger crowd, but are we more likely to go there and spend money than them? Does that mean you need a bigger mix of games?
Seems like almost every bar is catering to the 23-35 year old crowd these days. That whole Beerhall scene. There's barely any Nightclubs in this city and most traditional pubs in the inner city are also dying.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #88
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If you could create National with video games instead of bowling it could work. But I'm not sure if arcade games are social enough like bowling is
Booo! National is awful.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #89
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Booo! National is awful.
It might be awful to you but there's 4 of them in Calgary, two of which are probably the most popular bars in the entire city. If you want a snapshot of what an "in" bar looks like, National is your best bet.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #90
simmonjam1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Food, beer, liquor, video games, pinball - add a VLT section and you should be golden.
simmonjam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:09 AM   #91
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I practically grew up in the arcades, find a good location and I'll be there for sure!
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #92
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
I don't want to drop coins into a machine for just a few minutes of play.
At the 16-bit in Cincy all of the games are open. You just need to have some kind of beverage. It's like Vegas with video games.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #93
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmonjam1 View Post
Food, beer, liquor, video games, pinball - add a VLT section and you should be golden.
VLT's mean that kids aren't allowed.

I suggest no VLTs
Old 09-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #94
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

VLTs will also draw a .. rmm.. unsavory crowd. You don't want that level of pathetic in your venue, keep it to non gambling games.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #95
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
VLT's mean that kids aren't allowed.

I suggest no VLTs
No kids is a good thing. But I agree VLT's aren't needed. Attracts the wrong kinds of people.

This city needs a place like Dave and Busters for young adults to go and spend a night. There are enough places geared towards kids in this city, we don't need more.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I believe Cineplex is planning a similar style project in Deerfoot City. Was supposed to be arcades for adults, along with multiple bars and other types of entertainment. Sounded pretty good and is definitely something that's missing.

Home and Away is another example of what this city needs more of. It's a big bar that has skeeball and basketball. You can also play connect 4 at your table.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #96
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah no to VLT's and no to Kids. There's no way an arcade survives without being a bar. I guess you can have kids during the day? I think National has that? Kids are allowed until 5 or something?

I read about this a few years ago when National took off and Zoning is also a huge issue for arcades. Might want to look into it.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #97
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

a bar video game place could get workplace events but would if have enough foot traffic? 18-25 demographic?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:49 AM   #98
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
a bar video game place could get workplace events but would if have enough foot traffic? 18-25 demographic?
I don't think 18-25 is the key demographic. You can count the places in this city that cater to that demographic on one hand.

1. Cowboys
2. Marquee
3. Commonwealth
4. HiFi
5. Bespoke (debatable as it's expensive)

And only the top 2 really cater to the young 18-23 crowd. Ranchmans caters to pretty much anyone, young or old, I'm assuming Knoxville is the same?

Last edited by polak; 09-30-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #99
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'd be careful on going too hard on pinball. My gut says a very vocal minority of hipster dudes like them, but for whatever reason their voice carries to make it seem like they're more popular than they actually are. A pinball machine looks like it would require a lot of expensive maintenance and the machines would incur more downtime than regular video games. Plus they take up more space.

I'd go for sure, though. If you do this, the alcohol sales would be important, but so would daytime hours that allow families. I'd love to take my kids to an arcade. I'd park myself at a Guantlet machine, so try to get one of those. And a helicopter simulator. I'd love to play one of those again like they had at UC in the 90s.
5-10 quality pinball machines would make more money than anything in the place...trust me. Have weekly tournaments or something. Stern is still making quality pinball machines and there is a following in Calgary beyond "hipsters"

oh, make sure you have a super chexx or two
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #100
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best idea that my buddies and I have come up with usually involves several things.

1. Not individual pay to play.
2. Privacy.
3. Space rental as the main money making portion of the idea.
4. Can't seem to host publicly or more than 5-10 people.
5. Similar to subbing in beer leagues or rec, let people decide how "turns" should work.

I am wondering if some bars or bowling alleys can convert their snooker side room/ party rooms into a private room with access to retro games. Charge a day use fee of $200 or whatever for the room or something which includes free play of the games, or even just an hourly charge to use the room. Make food/booze money on the side. 4 guys is $50 each to play for an entire day seemed reasonable. Market it as a place to host a party or bachelor or something.

Another option is to fill a condo or basement or somewhere with such games and AirBnB the room at $150 or whatever a night (ie: 5 guys at $30 each unlimited play an entire night sounds reasonable). Market it as a place to play games and if you get too drunk, it's an actual place to sleep. But... noise complaints might be an issue, and damage to the games might be an issue.

Unfortunately, I don't know if you'd make enough margins to make a profit. Flat rate seems like the best option for an entire room with "bonus" access to the games vs hourly rate as I am imagining such a business wouldn't have very good margins under the older arcade payment models and I'd imagine the room isn't always used.

Last edited by DoubleF; 09-30-2016 at 12:18 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote