Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #21
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually know a family (primarily the mother who didn't work) who picked for bottles to pay for their kid's tuition.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #22
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is kind of embarrassing, but when I was a kid, my dad used to take me picking at the dump (yes, we were that poor). It was really hit and miss, but sometimes you would find some really valuable and totally salvageable stuff. I remember one time we found a near perfect antique pedestal sink. We took it home, cleaned it up and put it on the front lawn. Within about 15 minutes it was sold for $200. It was mostly old building materials (boards, wiring, fixtures and appliances), but I would usually find good toys and stuff too.

It's harder to do that these days as the landfills especially in bigger towns are more organized and do their own salvaging/recycling. It's big business now.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #23
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

My neighbour started up this organization:

http://www.calgarycan.ca/
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #24
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Forget that. Too much work for too little. Came across a thread, and it seems old Asian couples in the suburbs are doing it to supplement their pension money:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=348764
If its the same people in the Shawnessey area they live in a garage. Hardly a supplemental income.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #25
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
3 large leaf bags nets me about $25 (max). So you're looking at a small pick up load a day to get into the $100 range.
Usually when I take cans in I get about $10 a bag for regular size black bags. You might want to try a different depot.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #26
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Usually when I take cans in I get about $10 a bag for regular size black bags. You might want to try a different depot.
The pros crush the cans to fit more in a bag.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #27
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pic related
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #28
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I talked to a fella that picks bottles for an income, and he grinds 8 hours a day 6 days a week and its not easy because as he says, he pretty much fishes out his routes every week so by the start of the next week he has to work twice as hard to find bottles and cans.

On top of it he goes rain or shine or snow in the summer he puts a bike in the back of his crappy pickup but in the winter, its just miserable work. There are weeks when he makes a hundred or two a day and its tax free. But there are also weeks where he makes a pittance.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #29
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When I lived in Edmonton, there was an elderly Asian couple who did the rounds through the alley. Pretty much the entire neighborhood was university students, so I imagine they did pretty brisk business.

They certainly made some coin from our house, and I imagine many of the other houses and apartment buildings were similar. If I was smart I would have done the same to recoup some beer money.
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #30
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

In Nova Scotia it's $0.05 per bottle on return. For the most part it's not worth my time. Sure once every few month's I'd fill my trunk only to get $5 back.

That said I have a neighbour that collects bottles and returns them (mostly because he supports the environment and doesn't like to see them go into the trash, but it also is a few extra dollars in his pocket). He has a plow on his truck and always clears the snowbank at the end of our driveway for us, in return when my bin fills with bottles I drop them off to him.

That said, I wouldn't imagine you'd really supplement your income other than a couple cups of coffee.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #31
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bottle fairies can really help out if you have to clean out the can bins at work and your co-workers load them up with garbage -banana peels, coffee cups, used kleenix, and anything else that would fit into the can shaped hole-. At one location I would leave the bags leaning against the dumpster and always in less half a hour they would be gone.

I have also heard stories where post-secondary aged adults would pass out at a outdoor party and all the empties that were strewn about earlier would be gone.

In addition I know several people who save up pop cans in Manitoba -0 deposit- and use them to pay for some of the gas money in Alberta.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #32
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to say, out of all domestic chores its the bottle depot that I hate the absolute most. Hate it. Just...all of it. The collecting all the bottles, storing them somewhere in my house forever (since I only go like twice a year because I hate it).

If someone came to my house and wanted my bottles they can have them!

Hell, last week the Boy Scouts were doing a 'bottle drive' but you had to bring the bottles to them at a central location.

Thats not a 'Bottle Drive' you just set up an ad hoc bottle depot. Whatever happened to coming to my house and picking them up?

If my wife would let me I'd probably just throw them all in my Blue Bin and let the City have the deposit. Could you imagine if we all did that? We probably wouldnt need to keep jacking up Property Taxes to make ends meet.

I mean, I go to the bottle depot twice a year and probably net like $200. Not worth it for me.

I've run the math and it just isnt lucrative enough for me.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #33
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

You see the pickers on the LRT platforms all the time, and I truly do think they are performing a public service by keeping the bottles/cans from getting to the landfills.

There are always a few cans/bottles rolling around on the trains too. The service lane attendants were able to make a $5,000 donation from all the cans/bottles they picked off the trains in 2015. I can't remember what charity it was donated to.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #34
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I have to say, out of all domestic chores its the bottle depot that I hate the absolute most. Hate it. Just...all of it. The collecting all the bottles, storing them somewhere in my house forever (since I only go like twice a year because I hate it).

Hell, last week the Boy Scouts were doing a 'bottle drive' but you had to bring the bottles to them at a central location.

Thats not a 'Bottle Drive' you just set up an ad hoc bottle depot. Whatever happened to coming to my house and picking them up?

If my wife would let me I'd probably just throw them all in my Blue Bin and let the City have the deposit. Could you imagine if we all did that? We probably wouldnt need to keep jacking up Property Taxes to make ends meet.

I mean, I go to the bottle depot twice a year and probably net like $200. Not worth it for me.

I've run the math and it just isnt lucrative enough for me.

More or less the same way. I begrudgingly will try to go every four months so it doesn't pile up. I absolutely love it when the scouts or sports teams come to the door looking for bottles. Usually give them a large garbage bag full. Helps delay that trip to the depot and kids eyes light up when handed a bag of bottles half their size.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #35
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

You guys that would rather have someone come to your door to pick them up... why don't you schedule the OP to come to your door to do that? The OP could even advertise this service for other like-minded people.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
You guys that would rather have someone come to your door to pick them up... why don't you schedule the OP to come to your door to do that? The OP could even advertise this service for other like-minded people.
Because hes a Jets fan and Jets fans are inherently fickle and untrustworthy. I dont want Jets fans to know where I live.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #37
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

During a sociology class in university, the professor showed us this documentary.

While it's dated, it gives a glimpse of a part of Calgary's bottle picking community.

Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #38
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
They could also just set them outside or out back...and the very people who this thread are about will take care of them with no fuss.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #39
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

[/IMG]
Call Vecova, they will pick up your empties about once a quarter and leave you a charitable donation slip.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Call Vecova, they will pick up your empties about once a quarter and leave you a charitable donation slip.
Really? What is Vecova?

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: