Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:34 AM   #1
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The 2016 US American Election Thread

Someone had to start it. I'll just repost what I posted in the other thread to start...

Quote:
#TrumpWon is predictably great to read, mostly mocking him but his cultists of course think people are serious. Shockingly the cult is clinging to all the online polls he won, and dismissing any poll that he lost as rigged or libtard crap. But it seems #TrumpSniffles is getting even more play so Donny Montana appears to be the big takeaway.

Overall after thinking about last night some more, I think what makes it such a bad night for Trump is he's probably lost all of the suburban white woman vote that he had gained recently with his pandering to minorities that allowed for the polls to tighten. He avoided the absolute disaster, but with his misogyny being so difficult to control it's going to be hard for him to not slip and say something really catastrophic in the last two debates. I mean he's already going to this the morning after. Just like the Khan thing, he cannot let anything go.

Quote:
Alex BurnsVerified account
‏@alexburnsNYT
Trump digs in on former Miss Universe, Alicia Machado:
"She gained a massive amount of weight and it was a real problem."
https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/sta...26367860195328

How does such a fat #### consistently make fun of others weight?

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 09-27-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:36 AM   #2
kerriffic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I figured this should be here for posterity from the debates last night because it's just so non sequiter. Trump on Umm I guess hackers.

The Following User Says Thank You to kerriffic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fricken Cyber man. So tough.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

as outrageous as the debate seems to be, today we are remembering Trump soundbytes and not Hillary's points.

Trade deals killing us
Jobs going away
30 years done nothing
prepared politicians all talk no action

He should have destroyed her on cyber attacks though.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #5
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
as outrageous as the debate seems to be, today we are remembering Trump soundbytes and not Hillary's points.

Trade deals killing us
Jobs going away
30 years done nothing

I have seen little to no talk about any of these items. I have seen a lot more talk about possible cocaine use though.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #6
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos
And I don't get this. By that measure, a man who claimed he will make $694,000,000 this year would be overpaying if he paid $1 in federal income tax.

Everyone wants to pay less taxes. I know I do. But this is clearly cheating the (apparently broken) system.
He isn't cheating any tax system, if he was, the audit would send him to jail.

Quote:
For the record, I despise him, I feel the need to say that!
I'm not sure Rouge was implying that he is cheating on his taxes. But it's hard to interpret Donald's comments on this topic and make sense of it all. His claim is that he made 694 million in income last year. Is that what he made or what his businesses made? The way he said sure suggested that was his personal income, but almost no one would bat an eye if he really meant his businesses, because that is the kind of thing Trump does all the time.

So, if it is his businesses that made that much income, and he is complaining that business tax is too high and should be cut in half or more, then why didn't his business pay income tax? And if he can claim his company can net 700 million a year and not pay a dollar of fed income tax, how can he convince the public that what this country needs is a cut in business taxes? Of course, it is probably most likely, that his companies really didn't make 700 million in net income and he is taking liberties on his definitions of income and revenue.

If he is really claiming he personally took home 700 million in income, without any federal income tax, then someone with some knowledge of rich people taxes needs to explain how that is possible if he didn't have more than 700 million in losses to write off against his 700 million in income. That wouldn't surprise me at all either and would suggest the reason he doesn't want to release his tax returns is because he actually is making less money than the guys working on the automobile assembly lines.

All that wouldn't surprise me, because the way he talks about his finances is much like my FB friends claiming to make 3-4 thousand of dollars a month on their MLM nutrition products while ignoring the fact that they are spending 4-5 thousand dollars on inventory.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #7
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still worried the country that re-elected George W after Iraq was an obvious disaster, isn't smart enough to see through Trumps bluster.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 08:06 AM   #8
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The funny thing is, the more vacuous Trump sounds, the more his supporters are going to tote the "anti-establishment" brand. If the establishment is intelligent and eloquent and we want to go against the establishment, we better elect someone stupid and tactless.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:07 AM   #9
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

So. Photon shut down the thread. It was a great thread. The best. That Photon, big Main Stream Media guy from what I've heard. Is that right? I dunno, but it's what I've heard. People are saying it. More than 10 years he's been running this forum, and, you know, here we are. Sad.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:09 AM   #10
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The funny thing is, the more vacuous Trump sounds, the more his supporters are going to tote the "anti-establishment" brand. If the establishment is intelligent and eloquent and we want to go against the establishment, we better elect someone stupid and tactless.
Dont we bash the Liberals here for being elitists?

Old 09-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #11
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dont we bash the Liberals here for being elitists?
That's the 'Berta way though.

Lieberals, always talking down to us common folk, never got their hands dirty in their cushy, Park Avenue lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #12
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
If he is really claiming he personally took home 700 million in income, without any federal income tax, then someone with some knowledge of rich people taxes needs to explain how that is possible if he didn't have more than 700 million in losses to write off against his 700 million in income.
Obviously it's not that simple but it's probably some version of this; he's talking about gross income and net is much lower.

I'm now actually watching it back. Skipping a lot of it. I don't understand why he keeps going on about stop and frisk, it's unconstitutional, he's been told it is, and he keeps going. Does he not understand what it means when something is unconstitutional?

The "we should have taken Iraq's oil" thing is one of the craziest ideas he's put forward, I don't know how he isn't being pilloried for it. Well, I do; there's too much to choose from as usual. But that's really right up there with "deport 11 million illegal immigrants" and "ban all muslims" for its ridiculousness.

Hillary is pretty bad at this. She's had a couple of decent moments but she seems to struggle to say what she wants to say. I keep finding myself frustrated, going "yes, I understand what you're driving at, you're absolutely right, just you should have worded it differently because almost no one got that."
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #13
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Still worried the country that re-elected George W after Iraq was an obvious disaster, isn't smart enough to see through Trumps bluster.
That was the incumbency effect that narrowly saved him. I imagine it will work against Trump. The biggest mystery in all of this to me, is how everyone is convinced things are so horrible in this country right now. All the visible signs seem really good to me. I haven't heard of anyone I know losing their job in a layoff for a few years. Anyone looking for a job, usually has no trouble finding one. Commercial and residential construction is booming. Restaurants are thriving. My 401k is up 10% on the year.

It's weird how everyone is convinced that the economy is terrible. Hopefully, when it comes time to go to the polls, most people realize that things really are ok, and don't want to risk the big unknown of what a crazy person will do to upset the apple cart.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #14
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
That's the 'Berta way though.

Liberals, always talking down to us common folk, never got their hands dirty in their cushy, Park Avenue lives.
It's certainly a different perspective in Eastern Canada for sure. Conservatives are are more associated with old money, wealth and prestige. Both sides are guilty of elitism though.

i don't think it's elitist though to expect a politician to be able to form rational thoughts and cohesive sentences.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:19 AM   #15
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Hes arguing that its not unconstitutional.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #16
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Trade deals killing us
Jobs going away
30 years done nothing

Personally those aren't the moments I'm remembering most. For me they are:
Trump interjecting to brag about the business acumen involved in profiting from the housing collapse, his lack of taxes and his insistence on not paying people if he doesn't think they did a good job, his bizarre birther and 9/11 rants, his panicky confusion when Clinton was bringing up the Miss Universe insults, as well as Clinton's preparedness retort.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #17
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember a lot of interrupting, sniffing and water drinking by Trump.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #18
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
That was the incumbency effect that narrowly saved him. I imagine it will work against Trump. The biggest mystery in all of this to me, is how everyone is convinced things are so horrible in this country right now. All the visible signs seem really good to me. I haven't heard of anyone I know losing their job in a layoff for a few years. Anyone looking for a job, usually has no trouble finding one. Commercial and residential construction is booming. Restaurants are thriving. My 401k is up 10% on the year.

It's weird how everyone is convinced that the economy is terrible. Hopefully, when it comes time to go to the polls, most people realize that things really are ok, and don't want to risk the big unknown of what a crazy person will do to upset the apple cart.
He's appealing to the people who have been left behind in the last 15-20 years. Unfortunately for them upper class tax cuts that didn't help the first time around won't help again.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #19
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

More stand outs.

- Trump advocates plundering other countries for resources.
- Wants other countries to pay protection money to the USA, like a crime boss.
- Brags about not paying taxes. Says it's smart.
- Brags about preying on families that lost their homes. Says it's good business.
- Wants the USA to be a police state when asked about healing race relations.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #20
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Favorite twitter conspiracy theories from the debate:
- Trump wore a flag pin and Clinton didn't, Clinton wants to destroy America
- Trump's mic was defective because they laced it with cocaine to get him to sniff
- Clinton had an earpiece because of a picture of some square bulge on her back
Closed Thread

Tags
don't vote=don't complain , emails!!! (people cared) , murica , orange vs. blue , please no scott adams