Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #2821
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
You may be losing money in terms of ROI, where your electricity savings over the next 25 years don't cover the upfront costs. It's definitely the case without net metering or feed-in subsidies.
Good thing I had no up front costs and have a lease payment that is a fraction of my energy bill. I don't think you know SolarCity like you think you do, nor the deal they have with the utilities down here. I'm tied into a yearly 2% increase in utility cost over the duration of the contract, which is a helluva hedge against the the inflation of utility costs. And I have a no-cost service plan and warranty over the whole system. All that and a system that stands on its own when the grid is unavailable. So where is the down side here?

Quote:
Net metering is not sustainable over society scale because everyone can't sell their electricity at solar peak for the same price/kWh that they buy electricity at demand peak. Right now, it's basically a subsidy from non solar panel electricity consumers (usually poorer) to solar panel owners (usually richer).
That may or may not be true. As long as there is still a substantial industrial need during peak demand times the ability to sell electricity back to the utility at a profit exists. And exactly how long does it take to get to that point, especially taking hours of generation for regions into consideration? We must be talking decades away? The whole idea is also to bring solar online so other sources used for power generation, like coal and oil, can be eliminated. As the grid is modernized it will allow for the excess power to be diverted to where it is needed. For certain these "subsidies" won't exist forever, but as the cost of electricity continues to rise, the locked in contract cost and almost self-sufficient power generation of the solar system is a great long term benefit. Where's the downside again?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:10 PM   #2822
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Possible 125 mile high plumes of water vapour erupting on Europa:

Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #2823
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The continuing story of KIC 8462852

http://www.iflscience.com/space/myst...-star-deepens/

Quote:
Our galaxy’s weirdest star, KIC 8462852, is even weirder than previously thought, showing changes never observed before in a star like this.

To quickly recap, last year it was announced that the object experienced dramatic and rapid changes in brightness, which led to the wild speculation that the object was surrounded by an alien megastructure. New observations have shown that there are no aliens around it but the mystery has deepened further still, as historical data suggests that the star has inexplicably dimmed by 14 percent in just over a century.

Researchers Josh Simon and Ben Montet, using observations by NASA’s Kepler space telescope, discovered that KIC 8462852 faded slowly and then suddenly during the four years it was studied.

“Our highly accurate measurements over four years demonstrate that the star really is getting fainter with time,” said Montet, from Caltech, in a statement. "It is unprecedented for this type of star to slowly fade for years, and we don’t see anything else like it in the Kepler data.”

A pre-print of the research was released in August, and is now published in the Astrophysical Journal. In it, the scientists compared KIC 8462852 to 500 similar stars also observed by Kepler. Although they saw a small fraction getting fainter with time, none had dimming episodes as intense.

KIC 8462852, which is also known as Tabby’s star, faded about 1 percent in the first three years of the study, before suddenly dropping another 2 percent more. It then remained stable for the final six months.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #2824
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

For once can they just say it's Aliens???
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #2825
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
For once can they just say it's Aliens???
How would a movie from 1986 explain the dimming light of a far away star 30 years later?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #2826
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
How would a movie from 1986 explain the dimming light of a far away star 30 years later?
The star of Sigourney Weaver has been dimming quite rapidly.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #2827
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The star of Sigourney Weaver has been dimming quite rapidly.

She is still doing okay.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #2828
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

Is "orbiting and progressively being engulfed in a black hole" the obvious answer?
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #2829
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a reminder SpaceX isn't the only space company in business. Check out Blue Origin's flying dildo, launched at around the 51 minute mark:

The top is the crew pod which separates from the rocket booster. This is in case of an emergency and it was thought that the rocket booster might explode because because of this seperation, but it didn't!

This booster has been launched and landed back on earth 5 times. No other booster has done this.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #2830
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
Is "orbiting and progressively being engulfed in a black hole" the obvious answer?
I've read a few articles about this dimming episode and no one suggests this which is strange cause that seems like a good answer. I'm sure someone smarter than me can rule that out.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #2831
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I've read a few articles about this dimming episode and no one suggests this which is strange cause that seems like a good answer. I'm sure someone smarter than me can rule that out.
X-Rays and gravity wobbles. I mean, Black holes are detectable. We know where some are. Just because they don't emit light from their event horizon doesn't mean they are somehow now invisible. There are plenty of high-energy X rays emitted from interactions on this side of a black hole's event horizon that we can see.

Besides, we can now even see the effects of a small planet on a star's wobble. I think if a black hole was eating away at a star - one that we have been looking at pretty seriously ever since we noticed the weirdness - we would be able to detect the wobble that a Black Hole eating a star would cause.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #2832
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, and I just wanted to rule that out to prove I'm smarter than you
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #2833
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
X-Rays and gravity wobbles. I mean, Black holes are detectable. We know where some are. Just because they don't emit light from their event horizon doesn't mean they are somehow now invisible. There are plenty of high-energy X rays emitted from interactions on this side of a black hole's event horizon that we can see.

Besides, we can now even see the effects of a small planet on a star's wobble. I think if a black hole was eating away at a star - one that we have been looking at pretty seriously ever since we noticed the weirdness - we would be able to detect the wobble that a Black Hole eating a star would cause.
Yeah Polak, you idiot.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2016, 12:29 AM   #2834
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/hi...-art-1.3809728

Higgs Bison might be my favourite name for anything, ever.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #2835
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Mars may have eaten another lander:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/...er-spacecraft/
Old 10-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #2836
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But during the critical final moments, when nine hydrazine-powered thrusters were supposed to fire to arrest Schiaparelli's descent, the signal disappeared.
That's the part that sounds not good. Might have gone boom.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #2837
Knut

Exp:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0920131045.htm

Scientists have used Tardigrade proteins to successfully protect human kidney cells from radiation damage (in the lab).

Could have some interesting applications for space travel (as long as it does not hinder other functions of the our cells).
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #2838
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...-into-ethanol/

Scientists in Oak Ridge Tenn figured out how to turn CO2 into Ethanol fairly reliably.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #2839
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post

Scientists in Oak Ridge Tenn figured out how to turn CO2 into Ethanol fairly reliably.
So who is going to come rain on this parade?

My guess is Peter12?
Old 10-19-2016, 02:55 PM   #2840
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post

That's what I'm talking about! Science!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biology , chemistry , physics , research , science