Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #701
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Seriously, how the heck do you figure out if you've put on, say, 5 lbs of muscle vs. just 5 lbs of fat? Every time I step on the scale at the gym and it says I've gained weight, I get all sad about it and pretty much won't eat dinner after as a penalty. But I'm starting to wonder if that's actually "good" weight I'm putting on. How do you know?
Well you can test your body fat percentage (calipers, scales etc. to do that) and then you have a good idea if your weight stays the same and the body fat percentage goes down. You can also do a more accurate process (body pod)through places like Inliv for about $75 (don't quote me) and they will tell you your body fat percentage and everything through that test. Other places have other composition tests that are similar as well. I guess it depends how technical or precise you want to be.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 12:21 AM   #702
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I'd recommend just not using a scale as your measurement for success. Long term lifestyle patterns are what will create truly beneficial changes. Range of motion and how you feel will be a better gauge than a numerical readout.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #703
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^I'd agree to a point. If your goal is to improve overall health, feel better, increase energy, and maybe lose few pounds, then yes, the scale may not be the most important measuring tool. On the other hand, if the goal is to lose a substantial amount of weight such as more than 20lbs (whether out of necessity or simply to look better), then the scale really is a vital tool and an important one for you to understand what caloric levels you should be at to lose weight. How else can one determine if they have indeed put themselves in a caloric deficit and are progressively losing a reasonable amount of weight per week? It would suck to be a month into your routine only to find out that, despite busting your ass in the gym, your drop in calories simply wasn't enough. "Eating healthier" with more natural and whole foods does not always mean a caloric deficit.

As far as Sainters question, gaining or losing 5lbs will quite possibly involve both fat and muscle- and undoubtedly some water. A good way of looking at it is the speed in which the weight gain or loss occurred. Gaining or losing water weight, which can easily change your weight by 5lbs, can happen quickly, while changing your body composition as far as fat and muscle go, is considerably slower and more difficult... maybe with the exception of starvation diets, which are completely ridiculous anyway and should be avoided. Anyway, imo the scale should be responding to your goal if you are doing things right... forgetting the debate over muscle gain vs fat loss.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 09-28-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #704
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seriously, how the heck do you figure out if you've put on, say, 5 lbs of muscle vs. just 5 lbs of fat? Every time I step on the scale at the gym and it says I've gained weight, I get all sad about it and pretty much won't eat dinner after as a penalty. But I'm starting to wonder if that's actually "good" weight I'm putting on. How do you know?
How do your jeans fit? Not joking.

To expand on this I've been down around 180 pounds (give or take 3 pounds) since about July 1 (from 205 in the spring) but I'm significantly more fit than I was on July 1 and I'm down to about a 31 jean. As someone who has battled weight issues my entire life (I was once 260 pounds) it's very difficult to not look at the scale but since I've made a concerted effort to eat better and exercise I can just tell and I try not to get too hung up on numbers.

Having said all this, I literally weight myself multiple times a day.

Last edited by corporatejay; 09-28-2016 at 08:35 AM.
corporatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to corporatejay For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #705
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another thing to consider: gaining lean muscle mass is tough and requires time, a diligent work out program, and being in a caloric surplus on a clean high protein diet. If you are one to penalize yourself for weight gain by not eating dinner, then maybe it isn't muscle gain you are looking at. Just a thought though- I might be wrong.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #706
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
^^^I'd agree to a point. If your goal is to improve overall health, feel better, increase energy, and maybe lose few pounds, then yes, the scale may not be the most important measuring tool. On the other hand, if the goal is to lose a substantial amount of weight such as more than 20lbs (whether out of necessity or simply to look better), then the scale really is a vital tool and an important one for you to understand what caloric levels you should be at to lose weight. How else can one determine if they have indeed put themselves in a caloric deficit and are progressively losing a reasonable amount of weight per week? It would suck to be a month into your routine only to find out that, despite busting your ass in the gym, your drop in calories simply wasn't enough. "Eating healthier" with more natural and whole foods does not always mean a caloric deficit.loss.
I just think for a lot of people in the first few months the scale can be your enemy. Until there is some semblance of equilibrium weight is going to fluctuate rather significantly, you might be up or down 5 pounds each day depending on hydration and how the body retains what you've been eating.

Stepping on the scale during that time can be incredibly discouraging and I found it's better to avoid the scale until a sustainable lifestyle has been achieved. Essentially stay off the scale until what it says has less psychological influence. If it's going to effect your mood for the whole day it's not worth it because you might've eaten the wrong combination of things and the body retained an extra few pounds of water. If that number will stop you or discourage you it's best to not worry about it until the root causes are dealt with.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #707
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

scales are like a lamp post to a drunk...useful for support but not for illumination. when it comes to fitness, the eye test is still the most reliable tool available.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #708
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, stay away from that scale. If you are worried about weight gain, keep eating protein, and hit the weights even harder.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #709
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
How do your jeans fit? Not joking.

To expand on this I've been down around 180 pounds (give or take 3 pounds) since about July 1 (from 205 in the spring) but I'm significantly more fit than I was on July 1 and I'm down to about a 31 jean. As someone who has battled weight issues my entire life (I was once 260 pounds) it's very difficult to not look at the scale but since I've made a concerted effort to eat better and exercise I can just tell and I try not to get too hung up on numbers.

Having said all this, I literally weight myself multiple times a day.
They fit baggy, very baggy. Yeah sorry i should've been more clear where I'm at on my fitness quest: been going really hard over a year now, I've probably lost between 30-35lbs, to the point I don't want to lose any more weight (my natural frame is set to Aziz Ansari).

I think the reason i keep getting sad by the small weight gains is because we had a ridiculously busy summer, so many out of town weddings and reunions. So it left me with only about 3 days during the week to work out, then I'd spend 3 days out of town, not able to work out, and doing what you do at those events: drinking profusely and eating large amounts of food that's awful for you. So when I'd finally get back to the gym & step on a scale, I'd predictably have put on weight. I was basically treading water in terms of staying in shape all summer, it was so frustrating.

But now that busy, out of town boozer spell is done, but I still notice the odd time I'd put on weight - like yesterday. Just from the summer, I'm so used to that being from being a feed bag that I still get frustrated by it and then skip dinner. But I'm actually wondering if maybe it's muscle weight I'm putting on now, and by not eating afterwards I'm stunting muscle growth. I just had no idea how to tell the difference in what the weight gain was from.

And thanks for all the advice everyone, that was a lot more than I was expecting. Reason #82 why CP rules
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #710
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like you might just have the classic fear of gaining back the weight you've lost. Very common for someone that has successfully lost a decent amount. The problem with this can also prevent you from putting on quality muscle mass; as any gain in weight freaks you out and you may refrain from eating what is needed to build muscle or skip meals altogether- fairly unhealthy habit from a physical and mental perspective.

A vacation or summer with booze and junk food is undoubtedly going to lead to a minor bump up in body fat- my thoughts are so what? Life is too short to completely boycott the foods and drinks you enjoy.. The good thing is you know how to successfully lose weight and can have a bit of a goal to work towards after a summer of being relaxed with the diet... the latter part being why I agree with ACGold in many ways with regards to the scale- if the scale leads you to any type of behavior that resembles an eating disorder, then chuck it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #711
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
It sounds like you might just have the classic fear of gaining back the weight you've lost. Very common for someone that has successfully lost a decent amount. The problem with this can also prevent you from putting on quality muscle mass; as any gain in weight freaks you out and you may refrain from eating what is needed to build muscle or skip meals altogether- fairly unhealthy habit from a physical and mental perspective.
I can vouch for this. I was fairly overweight growing up and around high school decided to do something about it. Started to hit the gym. Cardio 5 days a week 45 mins a session. It worked great, I lost 50 lbs. I wasn't completely lean, I could only see maybe my top 2 abs but I was motivated to finally for the first time have a six pack. I kept cutting calories, I think at one point eating 1300 calories a day. I was deathly afraid of seeing the scale creep up.

I stayed around the same weight up until 2 years when I started having really bad anxiety. I was put on some ssri's to deal with it and I started gaining weight like crazy. Nothing I could do about it so I figured I would start lifting heavy. If I was going to gain weight it might as well be some muscle. I got up to 205 and have been off them for 2 months and dropped down to 195.

about 45 lbs heavier than I was and I feel great. I feel healthier, stronger, my self esteem seems a lot better. Not close to lean but people I haven't seen in years will comment saying I look healthier and they're right. When I look back at old pictures, I'd be shocked at how skinny I was. I remember my frame of mind before looking at those pictures thinking I should still be cutting.

Anyways, just to echo others comments here. Don't get to concerned about the scale. Gauge progress by how your clothes fit, how you look in the mirror, If you are making progress in the gym. If you are most likely so is your body.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mivdo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #712
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

But my core looks so good! For the first time ever! Haha yeah Flab I think you're bang on, putting back on weight is freaking me out. If it was going straight to my chest, arms, etc I'd be down with it, but it always seems like it goes straight to my core. I don't wanna lose it, it was very hard to get. And now that I'm well into my 30s, probably very difficult to keep.

But yeah I probably shouldn't worry about it as much as I do, at least if it's happening when I'm in my usual 5 days a week gym mode, and eating not terribly. Just kind of a mental block I think, as you pointed out.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #713
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
I acquired a detached retina this summer. My working out days are currently over.

Had that happen last fall. ####ing brutal.

PM me if you want someone to complain/commiserate.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:37 PM   #714
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But my core looks so good! For the first time ever! Haha yeah Flab I think you're bang on, putting back on weight is freaking me out. If it was going straight to my chest, arms, etc I'd be down with it, but it always seems like it goes straight to my core. I don't wanna lose it, it was very hard to get. And now that I'm well into my 30s, probably very difficult to keep.

But yeah I probably shouldn't worry about it as much as I do, at least if it's happening when I'm in my usual 5 days a week gym mode, and eating not terribly. Just kind of a mental block I think, as you pointed out.

Like I said, I'm right there with you and part of what I was saying to you is what I tell myself, but like I said, I still weight myself multiple times a day.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:05 AM   #715
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I eat a lot of food, but I also work out quite a bit. Checking the scale just makes me feel stressed. If you are strength training as hard as you possibly can, then weighing yourself should be far from your mind.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #716
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I acquired a detached retina this summer. My working out days are currently over.

Ugh, ####ty. That happened to me in 2012. Do you need a vitrectomy to glue it back on? Say, I have a massage table you can buy!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #717
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Had that happen last fall. ####ing brutal.

PM me if you want someone to complain/commiserate.

Ah man. Sorry to hear. Not fun eh? Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Ugh, ####ty. That happened to me in 2012. Do you need a vitrectomy to glue it back on? Say, I have a massage table you can buy!

Yah I had a vitrectomy after the 2 previous procedures with another surgeon didn't work. It worked this time which is good. But he used oil since he had to replace the gas bubble from the former procedure, which means a removal procedure some time down the line. Probably in November.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #718
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ah man. Sorry to hear. Not fun eh? Ugh.

Yah I had a vitrectomy after the 2 previous procedures with another surgeon didn't work. It worked this time which is good. But he used oil since he had to replace the gas bubble from the former procedure, which means a removal procedure some time down the line. Probably in November.

My second time I had oil as well. And a buckle.

Honestly nothing was even close to as bad as laying face down for 2 weeks after the first surgery (gas).
Old 09-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #719
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
My second time I had oil as well. And a buckle.

Honestly nothing was even close to as bad as laying face down for 2 weeks after the first surgery (gas).
2 weeks is brutal. I'm afraid to have the oil removed actually.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #720
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
2 weeks is brutal. I'm afraid to have the oil removed actually.

Oil removal surgery was the quickest. I also had an artificial lens implanted at the same time.

Didn't make the surgery any less ####ty though.

Who is your doc?