Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Standard or Automatic?
Standard 86 58.50%
Automatic 61 41.50%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Manual or Auto. What's your choice?

I've been looking for a used car lately, and I'm really surprised how many few manual transmissions are out there these days. I think things in the US swing more towards the Automatic side compared to Canada, but even up north its strange to see pimped out drivers-cars like BMW's and Audi's, and then you peek in and more than not, its an automatic transmission.

Do people really love the convenience of an automatic, or do new drivers not even get that chance to find out about the thrills of a standard anymore?

For me, it not even about it being cheaper, going faster and saving fuel (all of which apply). It's just so much more damn fun! I have yet to meet anyone who has learned how to drive a stick, and not love it...and yet it seems like only a good 10-20% of cars out there are manual transmissions.

So a little informal survey here....manual or auto, what's your choice?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you love to drive: Manual.

If you merely tolerate driving: Automatic.

I'm leaning towards Automatic while my wife is adamant we keep our manual shifter.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love my 5-speed, it's way more fun to drive a manual.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

I drive a manual. There are only a few instances that I wish I didn't. Stop & Go traffic (so annoying) and when I'm trying to drink while driving (coffee, pop).
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
I'm leaning towards Automatic while my wife is adamant we keep our manual shifter.
There are few things sexier than a woman who can drive a stick.

Nice boobs would be one of those things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

I drive a manual transmission and I do prefer it. Although if I was using the car to commute to work through stop-and-go traffic the whole time, I'd probably get an auto. Nothing more frustrating that riding the clutch for an hour....
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

with all the traffic here, I'll stick to an automatic. Manual is definitely more fun to drive.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Manual is better for everything. It's more fun to drive, it gives you better control in less than ideal conditions, it blows auto out of the water when it comes to 4x4ing...

Manual FTW.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My A4 is automatic, but it has Tiptronic - which is sort of manual, and has a sport mode where the computer shifts at as high an RPM as possible to maintain torque.

I used to be a big fan of manual, but the way the automatic works on my A4, I am pretty happy with it.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #10
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Manual for sure, way more fun to drive. Although the manual in stop and go traffic on the deerfoot sucks.
Scoopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
I drive a manual transmission and I do prefer it. Although if I was using the car to commute to work through stop-and-go traffic the whole time, I'd probably get an auto. Nothing more frustrating that riding the clutch for an hour....
Yeah that does suck, I got caught in a construction nightmare this summer when I drove to Toronto, and I was riding my clutch the whole time.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I drive auto but should drive manual. I love driving and drive a fairly fast automatic car that would be more fun in manual.
I've never learned to drive manual, and it's on my list of must do things in the near future. My next car will most likely be manual, but the problem for me is I drink coffee often while driving and talk on my phone a lot(with a headset), so I need my hands free too much.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
The Special One
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Manual, because you get much better response going up hills or in the snow. If you are reading this and have never driven manual, it is so easy to learn! I was worried about it until I actually did it. It takes about an hour to learn how to go from neutral to first gear properly, after that it's a breeze.
The Special One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #14
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

I prefer manual as well. But we got an SUV and I think it only came in automatic, there wasn't even an option to get a manual version. So that was a little sad.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #15
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
My next car will most likely be manual, but the problem for me is I drink coffee often while driving and talk on my phone a lot(with a headset), so I need my hands free too much.
that's what knees are for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #16
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
Manual, because you get much better response going up hills or in the snow. If you are reading this and have never driven manual, it is so easy to learn! I was worried about it until I actually did it. It takes about an hour to learn how to go from neutral to first gear properly, after that it's a breeze.
Just don't teach your significant other to drive manual. Have someone else do it. All the build up frustration over the first hour or so can be a near relationship ender right there. I speak from experience.

I've never owned a car that wasn't manual. First thing I do when I'm driving someone else's auto car is push the invisible clutch with my left foot before I go to turn the key...
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #17
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it fun to drive stick on trucks that are 3 or more tonnes. You can do alot of neat things like shifting without the clutch, double clutching on the down shift, using split range to go through 10+ gears, jake brakes.

A 4 or 5 speed manual I find pretty meh. Rather just drive an auto.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #18
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
My A4 is automatic, but it has Tiptronic - which is sort of manual, and has a sport mode where the computer shifts at as high an RPM as possible to maintain torque.
I've tried the tiptronics before, which were fun for the first half hour or so, but then sort of became boring. I think if I had one with tiptronic, I wouldn't really bother using it after a while.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

My first two cars were manual transmission. Then the two after that were both automatic. I'm thinking my next one I will go back to a manual. They're just too much fun and I enjoy driving most of the time. Probably won't be for a couple years though.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #20
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
Just don't teach your significant other to drive manual. Have someone else do it. All the build up frustration over the first hour or so can be a near relationship ender right there. I speak from experience.
Oh boy, I'm just about to enter this hell. I'm buying a car with the intention of teaching my girlfriend. I'm not very patient, and she doesn't like being told what to do. Should be interesting.