Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you WANT to be the Flames starting goalie in 2017–18?
Ryan Miller (UFA) 0 0%
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 0 0%
Steve Mason (UFA) 0 0%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 0 0%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 0 0%
Mike Condon (UFA) 0 0%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 0 0%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 0 0%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 0 0%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 0 0%
Cam Ward (Trade) 0 0%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 0 0%
Mike Smith (Trade) 0 0%
Jon Gillies 0 0%
David Rittich 0 0%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 0 0%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #121
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Most do that because teams already have a goalie under contract. I'm not opposed to it either way, just a strong believer in giving him a legit shot. If he comes into camp and outplays the competition, don't be afraid to roll with him. Same goes for any of the other guys, but I'm just a big fan of Parsons' style.
No, they most certainly do not. Most teams play their young goalies in the NHL in an effort to get them adjusted to a higher level of hockey—higher speeds, bigger, better players, and more challenging shots.

I think that Parsons is a fantastic prospect, and if he comes in and outplays the competition, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him in the NHL. But the chances of that are exceptionally slim, because even the very best goalies are almost never ready to make the leap straight from Juniour to the NHL.

Quote:
I'd hate to see them go "big game hunting" without looking at what they already have. I'm hoping the Murray example is one that entices teams to start looking at younger guys for the position. The league has really trended younger and younger, but goalie's continue to be the outlier that regard.
Murray is an excellent example: After four years of Juniour he played TWO FULL SEASONS in the AHL before ever starting a game in Pittsburgh as a 21-year-old. Tyler Parsons is 19, and he just finished his fourth OHL season.

We all need to be patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #122
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Just know that what I'm about to say next doesn't reflect the amount of respect I have for you as a poster.

This is a terrible ####ing idea.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
All good, Cali! I'm fully aware I'm likely delusional in these thoughts, lol.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #123
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I know everyone is still really down on Elliot after the playoffs, but you have to remember he also stood on his head for two months.

What about bringing him back and trading for one of Darling/Korpisalo/another young guy and rolling with a 50/50 split? Play whoever is the hot hand at the time?
I'm tired of the "hot hand" method.

I want someone who is good enough to rebound after one or two off games and just generally play more good than bad hockey over the course of the season. I don't want a tandem that'll each chip in a good month here or there, that you have to guess which version will come out. Or guys that you'll almost write off, to come storming back long enough to keep the pitchforks away, but then crap the bed again when it matters. And apologists in the media and coaching staff will keep excusing because they "saved" the season with one competent calendar month. Elliott, Hiller etc etc.

I don't want to have the urge to reach for the pitchfork in the first place cause their play isn't horribly bi-polar for stretches at a time.

I'm over that crap. But I also would have the patience to let a younger guy who is on the upswing try to develop into the full time role.

I have no patience for 30~ year olds trying to regain some glimmer of their former form though.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-25-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:42 PM   #124
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mike Smith for me. Good stop gap goalie before the next wave comes in. Signed to 2 years at just over 5, is big, athletic, has playoff experience, isn't known for a guy who gives up a lot of softies and has done pretty well in Arizona considering.

Just a gut feeling he is exactly the guy we need. No to any UFA that wants 5+ years please.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #125
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No, they most certainly do not. Most teams play their young goalies in the NHL in an effort to get them adjusted to a higher level of hockey—higher speeds, bigger, better players, and more challenging shots.

I think that Parsons is a fantastic prospect, and if he comes in and outplays the competition, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him in the NHL. But the chances of that are exceptionally slim, because even the very best goalies are almost never ready to make the leap straight from Juniour to the NHL.

Murray is an excellent example: After four years of Juniour he played TWO FULL SEASONS in the AHL before ever starting a game in Pittsburgh as a 21-year-old. Tyler Parsons is 19, and he just finished his fourth OHL season.

We all need to be patient.
Calgary has given up on a few good ones: J-S Giguere, Dwayne Roloson, Craig Anderson come to mind.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #126
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I wonder how the Flames see Elliott. Obviously a lot of the fan base wouldn't like it but he may come cheaper if he's moved here and doesn't want to move again right away. I wouldn't mind a 1 year show me contract on the cheap. Depends on what other offers he gets.
its a tough question... in terms of optics, i think the majority of fans wouldn't be happy with re-signing of Elliott due to his inconsistency... When he was good, he was great... when he was bad, he was awful...

Ultimately, i think Calgary will do its due diligence and at least see what someone like Bishop wants in both money and term... MAF has a similar streakiness that Elliott has, i don't know if how much better he would be...

I think you could sign Elliot, if you also have Gillies as the backup, as it places Elliott just as a transition stop gap to someone like Gillies. Sucks for Johnson though...

i don't think calgary would sign bishop for over 5 million/year...

I was hoping that Elliott was our answer to goaltending, but after that playoff performance... you can forgive one or two bad outings... but 3-4 are way too much at that time of year.

there are some interesting plan B types: Rantaa, Neuvirth, Grubauer, Darling... but they are most likely high end backups rather than true NHL starters...so you might be faced with the same questions this time next year

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 04-25-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #127
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping they trade for Grubauer. Would settle for Bishop on a short term deal.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #128
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I wonder how the Flames see Elliott. Obviously a lot of the fan base wouldn't like it but he may come cheaper if he's moved here and doesn't want to move again right away. I wouldn't mind a 1 year show me contract on the cheap. Depends on what other offers he gets.
We also give up a 2018 3rd rounder if we re-sign Elliott, if there was the any interest from the Flames that would probably be the deal breaker at this point.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #129
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I voted Bishop, but I agree term is the big concern.

Is paying him a higher AAV for a shorter term palatable? Say $7.5M for 4 years, versus $6M for 6?

I think the true options are Bishop as a FA or trading for Fleury. Really don't see the Flames going with another hopeful #1 goalie that doesn't have a history of playing 60+ games.

That being said, if the Flames get desperate and have to try and find a goalie that is about to enter #1 status, Korpisalo, Raanta, or Mrazek would be my choices.

Last edited by AC; 04-25-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:37 PM   #130
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give me Korpisalo. He's a Finn, Flames fans love finn goalies, and he's 22, right dead center of the age group of the core.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:53 PM   #131
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I'm guessing the Flames pick up either Bishop or MAF with Gillies as a backup.

But my choice was Korpisalo. He's got potential. Whenever I see him play he looks solid, and he's super young. Could be a steal.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #132
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saros from nashville. Everytime i see him play he takes over the game.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #133
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Korpisalo os intriguing do you give up Gillies for him?

I assume in this situation Johnson could be retained as he is a proven 30+ game backup
Old 04-25-2017, 10:00 PM   #134
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Cam Ward
Old 04-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #135
KipperRules
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Would love for Gillies to beat out a true bonafide starter at the beginning of the season to make for a competitive tandem through the next few years. As for my pick, I picked MAF as I think he has proven he can still carry the team if need be in that starting position. I think we could get him reasonably cheap and on a shorter term. I also think he would be a good mentor for another young goalie coming into the league.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #136
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Korpisalo os intriguing do you give up Gillies for him?

I assume in this situation Johnson could be retained as he is a proven 30+ game backup
Columbus has Oscar Dansk and Anton Forsberg and Merzlikins. If they were to move Korpisalo which I th8nk is more likely, I'd think it'd be to address depth needs in other positions.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #137
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
Mike Smith for me. Good stop gap goalie before the next wave comes in. Signed to 2 years at just over 5, is big, athletic, has playoff experience, isn't known for a guy who gives up a lot of softies and has done pretty well in Arizona considering.

Just a gut feeling he is exactly the guy we need. No to any UFA that wants 5+ years please.
I wouldn't mind this actually.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:07 PM   #138
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Saros from nashville. Everytime i see him play he takes over the game.
The reason he was left off the poll is because he is exempt from expansion draft protection, and Nashville has virtually no motivation to trade him at this point when he looks poised to take over for a 34-year-old Pekka Rinne.

Saros is a pipe dream in the same sense as Holtby and Price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 04-25-2017, 10:11 PM   #139
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Of all the available UFAs I still feel Elliott is the best so I voted for him.

I still think we have our future number 1 in Parsons so I wouldn't sign any of the current UFA's for a long period of time
Old 04-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #140
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I wouldn't mind this actually.
I'm with you guys. There's three things I love about him.

1) he's a gamer. You can tell he hates to lose and let in goals.
2) he's got size. Big goalies don't often give up those 6 hole softies that we see from Elliott far too often. Mike Smith makes the save on that 4-2 killer at the end of the 2nd period in game 3 every single time just cause of his size and positioning.
3) he plays the puck well. I'd love to have a guy back there that could help out our defensemen.