Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not be confused with the civic elections being held in Paris, Ontario.

I know that gets me every time. Whenever someone mentions 'Paris' I immediately think they're talking about a small Southern Ontario town, Population of ~12,000, nestled between London and Hamilton, just North of Brantford off of the 403 if you're on your way to Buffalo.

Very different places.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #22
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

but still a quaint and pretty little place!
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
but still a quaint and pretty little place!
It is quite picturesque.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #24
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So not Saskatoon then?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So not Saskatoon then?
Ah! The 'Paris of the Prairies!' I can see how one could get confused.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #26
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or Paris Texas.

Le Pen has the "no immigrants" and other Fascist votes locked up but beyond that, few other would move her direction. She's had an increase in percentage however not to a massive degree though she's trending up and will use that as proof they should remain in the conversation. She was at 29% at one point in polling done weeks ago. That party is very very right with extreme views and the bulk of the country has and will say non merci.

As you saw yesterday Fillon and the other leaders who fell short immediately endorsed Marcon. He's the middle ground that all the other parties can rally around. Le Pen maybe gets 25-30% on May 7th I can't see more and I think those in her party know it. When her own father, who created the party, comes on national radio saying he thinks she has gone away from the true goals of the party that's hardly a ringing endorsement.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #27
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Or Paris Texas.

Le Pen has the "no immigrants" and other Fascist votes locked up but beyond that, few other would move her direction. She's had an increase in percentage however not to a massive degree though she's trending up and will use that as proof they should remain in the conversation. She was at 29% at one point in polling done weeks ago. That party is very very right with extreme views and the bulk of the country has and will say non merci.

As you saw yesterday Fillon and the other leaders who fell short immediately endorsed Marcon. He's the middle ground that all the other parties can rally around. Le Pen maybe gets 25-30% on May 7th I can't see more and I think those in her party know it. When her own father, who created the party, comes on national radio saying he thinks she has gone away from the true goals of the party that's hardly a ringing endorsement.
Having her father say that is a great thing. He was far worse. He must be bitter. She kicked him out of the party.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToewsFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #28
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Sounds like Le Pen has stepped aside as Party Leader.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #29
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

How long before Wikileaks comes up with some evidence Macron was having sexual relations with his wife when she was his school teacher and he was 15?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #30
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
But as I said, it is incredibly marginal, and our response is probably the only variable that matters.
It is so hard to quantify...but I've heard that Russian influence was responsible for 1-2% shift in the outcomes of certain elections.

That's the margin of victory in the Brexit campaign, US election. Not to mention shennigans in Ukraine.

There will be attempts to mess with the Canadian election in all liklihood.

It's extremely smart on Russia's part...

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #31
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

"French Paris Elections" is a thread title that would only come from one province in Canada, lol.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 03:51 PM   #32
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
I agree that it would be a shame if the plight of the working class were ignored to focus on the Russian story.

I don't think anyone has done that, however. That Russia is attempting to influence democratic institutions in the US and elsewhere is a massively important story.

That they are taking advantage of some class divisions and conflict in western societies is also notable and important.

I believe that inequality is the defining issue of today more than any other issue, so I definitely don't disagree.

As for blaming the "regressive left" as above? Just hogwash.
Its not really anything new though, the Russians have been influencing elections from the emergence of Stalin onwards. Its just that before Trump they backed the left and democrats, I remember Ted Kennedy openly trying to work with Russians to prevent Reagan from getting elected.

Perhaps some of the technological advances since that time have made propaganda and subterfuge more effective, that being said its also easier to detect and quantify.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 04-24-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Its not really anything new though, the Russians have been trying to influence elections from the emergence of Stalin onwards. Its just that before Trump they backed the democrats, I remember Ted Kennedy openly trying to work with Russians to prevent Reagan from getting elected.

Perhaps some of the technological advances since that time have made propaganda and subterfuge more effective, that being said its also easier to detect and quantify.
Influencing elections and screwing with the French is practically a Russian tradition.

Like Vodka and drinking on Wednesdays.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #34
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Jeez, I wonder who could have done this?

Quote:
In news that will seem rather familiar to anyone who endured the 2016 US presidential election, the leading contender to be the next president of France on Friday night confirmed his campaign had been the subject of a "massive hacking attack."

The "En Marche" (or Onwards!) campaign of Emmanuel Macron, the independent centrist candidate favored by pollsters to defeat far right candidate Marine Le Pen, announced various internal documents, including emails and contracts, were being circulated on social media.

"The files circulating were obtained several weeks ago thanks to a hacking of the personal and professional email accounts of several leaders of the movement," the campaign said in a statement.

The campaign said fake documents had also been added to the online dump to "sow doubt and misinformation."

"Coming in the last hour of the official campaign, this operation is obviously a democratic destabilization, like that which took place in the United States during the last presidential campaign," the En Marche statement read.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/m...yl5#.stDn1PV0a
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:40 PM   #35
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

Trump?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #36
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:49 PM   #37
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

4chan also released screenshots of Macron's CIBC Cayman Bank accounts claiming that he's offshoring or avoiding taxes.

There's a concerted effort from 4Chan, Trump, Wikileaks, Russia going on against these candidates.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:51 PM   #38
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

Old 05-05-2017, 10:54 PM   #39
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

These shenanigans have been pulled on other countries by Russia as well...no reason to think that Canada's election will be any different.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:04 AM   #40
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
These shenanigans have been pulled on other countries by Russia as well...no reason to think that Canada's election will be any different.
I wouldn't be surprised if a certain right wing party in Canada has already solicited help.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 05-06-2017 at 12:32 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote