Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default French Paris Elections

Crazy results this weekend as the main stream candidates were swept aside and LePen and Macron move onto the May 7th runoff.

The runoff is expected to be a clash of conservatism vs Liberalism and Isolationism/France First vs Globalization.

Polls show that Macron should win the runoff in a handy fashion.

However with the pretty much destruction of Paris' mainstream parties and two what you would call outsiders moving to the run off it shows to me at least a shifting of balance in terms of national politics where people are looking for alternatives to what they see as societal elite politicians or a political class of people.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a great time to be an extremist nutcase in politics, in first world countries these days.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #3
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's great that Marine's going to lose (although to be fair we've said THAT before), but she shouldn't even be there. I'm a bit concerned that people will pop the champagne if Macron wins and say "see? No problems to solve, nothing to see here", without recognizing what a black mark it is that she's even in the conversation at all.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think she really needed to finish first in this vote to get any kind of momentum to get by Macron.

Granted I don't follow French politics that hard, but simply saying that its a blackmark that she's even in the conversation is white washing the problem there.

Clearly people are angry and sick and tired of business as usual, the reason why she's in the conversation is because the current parties have pretty much failed in terms of messaging and servicing the people.

that's why she's in the conversation, its a backlash vote. I wouldn't be surprised if Macon won because of the moderates abandoning their usual party lines to strategically vote against LePen to block her.

But there's little doubt that the formerly extreme whacko parties are moving from the shadows into the light and gaining a seat at the table.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Clearly people are angry and sick and tired of business as usual, the reason why she's in the conversation is because the current parties have pretty much failed in terms of messaging and servicing the people.

that's why she's in the conversation, its a backlash vote. I wouldn't be surprised if Macon won because of the moderates abandoning their usual party lines to strategically vote against LePen to block her.
This is kind of my point, although I think there's a lot more going on than people being sick and tired of business as usual. What I'm saying is that if (when) Macron wins in more or less exactly the way you're predicting, that may be enough for people to justify ignoring this backlash and pretending it doesn't exist or isn't a real problem.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #6
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
It's a great time to be an extremist nutcase in politics, in first world countries these days.
Macron is hardly an extremist nutcase. He may be anti-establishment, but his policies are decidedly centrist.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Macron is hardly an extremist nutcase. He may be anti-establishment, but his policies are decidedly centrist.
I believe he was talking about LePen, and other extremist nutcases.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wasn't talking about him.

Mostly thinking of Trump, Brexit, Lepen
Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #9
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I read his post as referring to LaPen, not Macron. How odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assumed he was referring to both, as the OP cites two political outsiders moving on to the run-off.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #11
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Brexit was an extremist nutcase scenario?

interesting.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #12
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Russia has their fingers in this one too.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #13
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's great that Marine's going to lose (although to be fair we've said THAT before), but she shouldn't even be there. I'm a bit concerned that people will pop the champagne if Macron wins and say "see? No problems to solve, nothing to see here", without recognizing what a black mark it is that she's even in the conversation at all.
I am glad that she is going to lose, but also very happy that she has made it this far. The problems affecting France - demographics, new economy, etc... - are signs of the times for every Western democracy. They are just the furthest along.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #14
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I wonder if Russia has their fingers in this one too.

Seems like it

Quote:
French voters have been deluged with fake news stories on their social media feeds ahead of the country's presidential election, many from sources "exposed to Russian influence", new research has found.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7696506.html
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #15
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
People have to stop blaming nefarious exogenous influences for these elections.

There are incredibly deep-running rifts within Western societies as the end result of post-capitalist policies running from the late 1970s.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/fr...art-15125.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #16
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

no Peter12, that isn't it.

It's much easier to blame all center, right of center, and right wing success on the premise that everyone else is too dumb to recognize their own problems. Only the regressive left can save us all.

Sometimes I wonder if there were any people listening in the post-Clinton loss discussions. For a great deal many people, the status quo doesn't work and the risks associated with the status quo are not as high (for many voters) as the certainty that comes with remaining stuck in their current plight.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #17
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
People have to stop blaming nefarious exogenous influences for these elections.

There are incredibly deep-running rifts within Western societies as the end result of post-capitalist policies running from the late 1970s.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/fr...art-15125.html
I agree that it would be a shame if the plight of the working class were ignored to focus on the Russian story.

I don't think anyone has done that, however. That Russia is attempting to influence democratic institutions in the US and elsewhere is a massively important story.

That they are taking advantage of some class divisions and conflict in western societies is also notable and important.

I believe that inequality is the defining issue of today more than any other issue, so I definitely don't disagree.

As for blaming the "regressive left" as above? Just hogwash.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #18
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

They aren't trying to influence democratic institutions, but have an effect on the margin of discrediting them. Never mind that our citizenry is doing a fair enough job of that on its own.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #19
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
They aren't trying to influence democratic institutions, but have an effect on the margin of discrediting them. Never mind that our citizenry is doing a fair enough job of that on its own.
Point taken - yes, undermining, destroying - however you want to put it.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #20
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

But as I said, it is incredibly marginal, and our response is probably the only variable that matters.