Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #321
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
They may want a sweetener, and maybe Tre would do that.

Me? No thanks.

Go ahead GMGM and pick from Brouwer, Stajan, Bouma, Chiasson, Bartkowski or one of the lesser prospects in our org like Kulak, Wotherpsoon, Shinkaruk or Poirier.

I certainly don't protect Brouwer and leave Lazar or Ferland dangling.

I said in another thread somewhere, that after doing a quick mock expansion that I noticed most f the salary I had taken on expired within a year or two, which will have them chasing their tail trying to reach the cap floor for a few seasons. That will certainly increase the likely hood of them doling out some very bad contracts. For that reason I can see them not being scared at all of taking on Brouwer's 3 remaining years. I even fear that they might help the Kings out by taking one of their awful contracts as well, like Brown.
I think Vegas is far more likely to take bad contracts from the East, not help out their divisional rivals.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #322
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think Vegas is far more likely to take bad contracts from the East, not help out their divisional rivals.
Hopefully.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #323
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Hopefully.
I bet Vegas will have no preference, they will want compensation to take a bad contract (i.e. I would guess draft picks).
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #324
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
That may be a tiebreaker in determining which of two bad contracts to take on, but I doubt that will be a significant primary motivation.

Vegas will be trying to set themselves up for the future as best as possible. Trying to hurt Western teams the most they can, or trying to help them out as little as possible, will be a distant second objective, IMO.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #325
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
It is way more difficult to contend with alot of gristle on the roster than without. If the Flames are indeed going to contend they need to shed all of Stajan, Brouwer, Bouma and replace them with cheaper and critically *better* players. Exhibit A is Anaheim who's depth guys ran a lap around the Flames' depth guys.
But you need to have the prospects ready to make the jump to reliable NHLers. It all comes back to drafting and development. If you don't have a steady stream of players making that jump, then you have to patch holes with expensive UFAs.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #326
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't see the Flames offering a sweetner for Brouwer. I get that we might want to get rid of him, but we don't have another guy that we would be afraid to lose.

Go ahead Vegas, take Brouwer, or Stajan, or Bouma, or Culkin or whomever.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #327
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I don't see the Flames offering a sweetner for Brouwer. I get that we might want to get rid of him, but we don't have another guy that we would be afraid to lose.

Go ahead Vegas, take Brouwer, or Stajan, or Bouma, or Culkin or whomever.
Exactly we lose a 23 year old Dman or forward that hasn't beetable to crack our lineup or a vet we would be happy to see go for added cap space. Vegas taking Brouwer really changes what they can do this summer but not at the expense of a really good asset.

Brouwer likely never lives up to his contract but he definitely can be better than he was this year (hopefully for Vegas)
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #328
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would offer Rittich to LV in exchange for them picking Brouwer. We will have trouble finding meaningful minutes for all of our goalie prospects next year if we don't trade one of them.

They could then either keep Brouwer, who is already known to their management, or eat half his salary and flip him to a contender for another pick or prospect.
Macindoc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #329
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm kinda getting pumped to go to Vegas already to watch some flames games.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:41 PM   #330
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I'm kinda getting pumped to go to Vegas already to watch some flames games.
Yeah me too.

Anyone else here considering following Vegas pretty closely? I might try and catch a lot of their games next year to see how they do, depending I guess on who they nab at the expansion draft. They already grabbed a coach that I like so I don't have to root against them in that department. Should be fun to watch a brand new team come together
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #331
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

we'll never know if the flames pay up to protect brouwer

if they trade a 3rd round pick for future considerations and vegas selects brouwer, was teh third round pick to ensure Vegas selected Brouwer or to ensure Vegas didnt select some other unprotected player?

Problem with:
Stajan - UFA after next season; might want to go to a contender given his age
Bouma - UFA after next season; a bit expensive, but not a long term issue; could probably re-sign
Brouwer - expensive contract

Chiasson - no problem really; young and servicable and reasonable contract
Hamilton - no problem really; young and servicable and reasonable contract
Shinkaruk - will he be a top 6? Not a bottom 6 player

If I was the flames, I'd trade a second and whatever unprotected player Vegas wants (probably Chiasson or Shinkaruk) to ensure Vegas takes Brouwer
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #332
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

My hope is that George McPhee's experience with Brouwer in Washington will pay off and he selects him in the expansion draft. A little familiarity might go a long way for a veteran on the Golden Knights. That's my thoughts anyway.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #333
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Ferland was even arguably a better junior player than Lazar, and has absolutely made more of an NHL impact (pun intended).

I think there is about 0% chance Lazar is protected over Ferland. But agree that Brouwer will be... and I believe he'll have a playoff performance that will solidify that.
... Yeah. Brouwer better be exposed. Find a way to shake that dead weight contract.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #334
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think that Vegas management has figured out that they can hit the cap floor with good contracts. There is no need to take "bad contracts". And if they do, there would have to be real compensation to do it.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #335
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
But you need to have the prospects ready to make the jump to reliable NHLers. It all comes back to drafting and development. If you don't have a steady stream of players making that jump, then you have to patch holes with expensive UFAs.
A lot of it is just being willing to let young guys play. Nothing against Bouma, but I'd be willing to bet there are 4-5 guys on the Heat who could come up and the team would be fine. Same with Stajan. The Flames will be paying over $5.3 for two guys who could be replaced with guys making $600-$800k and using that $4m to find a first line RW or a top 4D that they will need.

The Flames need to get away from spending money on bottom of the roster guys. I like Engelland and what he brings to the team, but spending $3m on a 5th/6th d-man is killer in this cap era.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #336
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

After the Lazar trade I was a proponent of sending Vegas a pick to not select Lazar or Brouwer, however now believe it would be a wasted asset. Expose Brouwer and hope Vegas selects him, Bouma, or Stajan. If Vegas wants to go younger with Shinkaruk or Kuluk that wouldn't be great but is not really a big deal. Calgary is one of the lucky teams that will not be hurt by expansion.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:14 PM   #337
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Vegas is to take one of our overpaid veterans, one would think they take Stajan. He's overpaid for less time, and he plays centre. He brings all the leadership intangible stuff Brouwer does.

And if that happens, it kinda gets us halfway out of a bind anyway. Opens a roster spot for Jankowski
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:33 PM   #338
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
If Vegas is to take one of our overpaid veterans, one would think they take Stajan. He's overpaid for less time, and he plays centre. He brings all the leadership intangible stuff Brouwer does.

And if that happens, it kinda gets us halfway out of a bind anyway. Opens a roster spot for Jankowski
Stajan or Brouwer would certainly be ideal for different reasons.

I think Janks has been cooked just the right amount of time in the system and should be on the verge of making the leap. And having played much of that time at centre, it would be ideal that he slots in as such.

I hope by mid season we see Jankowski centering Bennett, who blossoms at wing.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:12 PM   #339
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rather Vegas takes Brouwer than Stajan or Bouma.

Stajan or Bouma are potential 3rd round picks at the trade deadline.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #340
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Troy Brouwer likely to be left unprotected in expansion draft

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hock...xpansion-draft
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote