Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #61
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

I doubt Kolvy would want to play in Calgary anyways. Same goes for Radulov once he is a UFA this year again. Would love to have either though to ride shotgun on one of the top two lines.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #62
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
But do you? It's been a long time since he played the in the NHL.
I agree, but Kovalchuk isnt a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Hes not physical and hes not a 2-way player, you're going to pass him the puck and hes going to shoot it.

Hes also not going to leave the KHL to sign for less money in a taxed jurisdiction to prove himself at his age.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #63
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hes not physical and hes not a 2-way player
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #64
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

He may have the scoring touch, but I don't know how he will fare under GG's system. I feel that the system emphasizes a 5 man unit, and higher end players struggle until they finally accept the system.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #65
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't the devils still own his rights?
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #66
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
Don't the devils still own his rights?
Yes...and no....sort of. He can freely Re-sign with New Jersey without a 30 team vote to approve the contract. If any other team signs him, there would be a vote of approval by the rest of the teams in the league.

There's a possibility New Jersey could trade this loop hole to another team. Or just do a simple sign and trade.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 06:26 PM   #67
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

What would the devils want for him? Let's just say he doesn't want to play for them, they wouldn't be asking for too much back, but they would want something.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #68
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
What would the devils want for him? Let's just say he doesn't want to play for them, they wouldn't be asking for too much back, but they would want something.
There would probably be a lot of demand, they will get at least a 1st rounder for him.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #69
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I think demand is irrelevant in this case.

Even if all the other teams want Kovalchuk, Kovalchuk is the one holding the cards. He chooses which team he will sign with.

What the trade value will be is how badly does Kovalchuk's new team want him. Shero is the gate keeper, you have to pay his price if you want Kovalchuk to play for your team.

What Shero needs to balance is that if he asks for too much the other team will walk away and the Devils are left with nothing and Kovalchuk returns to the KHL.

But there will be some midpoint where Shero get something and the acquiring team gives up what they deem expendable assets for a player of Kovalchuk's ilk.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 10:50 PM   #70
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume the team that wants to sign him will be allowed to discuss a contract with him before contacting the Devils? Why give up assets if he's going to tell you to pound sand anyways.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:28 AM   #71
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd123 View Post
You have never seen Kovy play in your life, lmao. Don't talk out of your ass.
I have seen a guy who quit the NHL and took his ball and went home like a baby. lmao at you're dumb post above.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #72
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
I have seen a guy who quit the NHL and took his ball and went home like a baby. lmao at you're dumb post above.
I think you have it wrong. This may not be entirely correct either, but way more correct that taking his ball and going home.

Quote:
The NHL lockout ended in January and most players returned to North America from the leagues they were playing in during the lockout. Kovalchuk initially stayed behind to participate in the KHL All Star game. At the time SKA St. Petersburg, the club Kovalchuk was playing for, had an idea that he wanted to stay. They tried hard to keep him, thinking he would just quit the NHL, like some others did.

But Kovalchuk was different. Talk about honor, Mr. Cherry: It is even feasible to say that SKA and the KHL were surprised and found a new level of respect for Kovalchuk, when he told them he would not just quit, but would honor his contract with the New Jersey Devils and would try to find a solution that would take everyone’s opinion into consideration. If that solution would indeed become available.
https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports...173145938.html

What I found most interesting is that a year from now he could come as an unrestricted free agent

Quote:
Ilya Kovalchuk will be removed from the “voluntary retired list” upon reaching his 35th birthday on April 15, 2018, and thereby would become an unrestricted free agent if the winger were to pursue a return to the NHL for the 2018-19 season.
This is according to Bylaw 8.5 (c) and confirmed by deputy commissioner Bill Daly in a series of emails with The Post yesterday in which the NHL clarified Kovalchuk’s status after the Devils voided the remaining 12 years of his contract on Wednesday so he could continue his hockey career in the KHL.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...212054669.html
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #73
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Kovy has been one of my favs since he came in. Cocky, talented, and hilarious.

Probably his career highlight was this for me:

http://www.espn.com.au/nhl/recap?gameId=220205028

Tried to find the video of it but couldn't get it. Basically skates past the oil bench after scoring a goal screaming "is this stick ok"? at Mctavish.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #74
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bob McKenzie‏ @TSNBobMcKenzie
1. Kovalchuk remains property of NJD as he is on the Voluntary Retirement List (VRL) so he is free to sign with them for coming season.
2. If Kovalchuk doesn't want to return to NJ, he could sign with ANY team as long as EVERY other team in NHL signs off on it. Not a chance.
3a. Because Kovalchuk is on VRL, NJ can't trade his rights to any team unless Kovalchuk signs with NJ first. So sign and trade possible.
3b. Note: Only way Kovalchuk can come off VRL is by signing with NJ. Player on VRL can't have rights traded. Thus, sign and trade is req'd.
4. As I understand it, these rules/scenarios are applicable if Kovalchuk wants to return to the NHL for the coming 2017-18 season.
^^
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #75
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkov View Post
who would flames rather have, Kovy or Iggy?
Not Iggy.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #76
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

sounds like NJ won't be an option

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
Devils GM Ray Shero says he has confirmed with agent Jay Grossman that Ilya Kovalchuk definitely wants to return to the NHL next season

Shero says Grossman free to speak to other teams about a potential deal. Devils would do a sign and trade. But deal has to make sense for NJ

Kovalchuk can't officially sign an NHL contract until July 1. So lots of time for all this to play out. But the Kovalchuk sweepstakes are on
Old 05-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #77
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be interesting to see what the level of interest would be for a 34 year old player that has been out of the league for four years. I imagine he could still help a team offensively but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would be willing to play for a salary cap friendly salary.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #78
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yea if bottom-of-the-league Devils don't want him, I doubt that it makes sense to give up assets and then cap space to fit him in.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #79
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufenstein View Post
Yea if bottom-of-the-league Devils don't want him, I doubt that it makes sense to give up assets and then cap space to fit him in.
it seems unclear whether the devils don't want him or he doesn't want to play for the devils.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #80
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would Vegas be able to use their expansion pick on him? If he doesn't want to sign then use him to get more assets.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote