Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 04-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #41
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I dislike AO, he is a selfish player and the worst Captain I can remember. The Caps struggled a lot against a young Leafs squad, the Pens steamrolled a very good BJ team. This one will be a slaughter, Pens in 5...maybe 4.
Haha. How the balls do you know what kind of Captain he is? He's the most elite goal scorer since the greats of the 80s.

Maybe lay aside the Russian bias there Don.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #42
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Really can't compare the 2 series, Pens/Jackets and Leafs/Caps. It is really easy to say based on how those 2 series went the Pens should steamroll the Caps. The major difference in why the 2 series were so different were the Jackets got sub par goaltending from Bobrovsky and the Leafs got elite goaltending from Anderson.

Does anybody really think had the Caps faced the Jackets and that level of goaltending they wouldn't have won in 4 or 5 like the Pens did? Same thing goes if the Pens played the Leafs?

Goaltending is that massive in the playoffs. You really got to hope your goalie doesn't give up any softies and plays at a level where he is stealing you games. The Jackets didn't get that and the Leafs did.

Holtby is lucky that after 4 games the series was tied 2-2 cause his play was very average through the first 4 games. I think that adversity will actually be a good thing going into round 2.

This will be a long gruelling series. Caps in 7.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #43
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fleury is bad on the road and bad against Washington. Caps in 6.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #44
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is certainly the Capitals best chance to slay the dragon that is the Pittsburgh Penguins with all the injuries on the backend for the Pens.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #45
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Haha. How the balls do you know what kind of Captain he is? He's the most elite goal scorer since the greats of the 80s.

Maybe lay aside the Russian bias there Don.
I know he said he would abandon his teammates to go play in the Olympics. That makes him a crap Captain in my book.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #46
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nope. If the Capitals have to scrape by to beat the Leafs they are in for a world of hurt against the rested Penguins. Capitals were my pick to win the cup but there's no way they get by the Penguins gripping the sticks like this. Penguins in 6.
The 2011 Bruins needed a 3-goal comeback in the 3rd period of Game 7 to scrape past the Leafs.

I think this is the year Washington finally does it. I say this every year though.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #47
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I dislike AO, he is a selfish player and the worst Captain I can remember. The Caps struggled a lot against a young Leafs squad, the Pens steamrolled a very good BJ team. This one will be a slaughter, Pens in 5...maybe 4.
Your memory must be really bad if he's the worst captain you can remember.

Ovechkin is not a selfish player, and hasn't been since his first few seasons in the league.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:53 PM   #48
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know he said he would abandon his teammates to go play in the Olympics. That makes him a crap Captain in my book.
Some club team in a for profit league vs playing for your country.

Shocking.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:21 PM   #49
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Some club team in a for profit league vs playing for your country.

Shocking.
He signed a contract to play for Washington. That for profit league pays him $10M a year. Again, if he bails on his teammates to play for his country that is selfish.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:27 PM   #50
MikeN
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This will be a good one, but never underestimate the pens, everyone did last year and they won the Cup. They are fast and with Geno,Phil,Sid and the kids killing it..man oh man.

Pens in 6.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:41 AM   #51
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pens are to the Caps what the Ducks are to the Flames. Some teams just match up poorly against each other, regardless of how good they are as a team.

I'd like to the Caps go all the way. I really want OV to win a cup. But it's going to be hard to beat the Pens.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #52
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
The 2011 Bruins needed a 3-goal comeback in the 3rd period of Game 7 to scrape past the Leafs.

I think this is the year Washington finally does it. I say this every year though.
Flames in 1989 needed a game 7 OT goal to scrape past the Canucks in the first round on route to winning the cup. Maybe this is the turning point for the franchise but we have seen this before from the Capitals. The Leafs are not a very good defensive team and the Capitals had trouble scoring goals in that series at times. It seems like the Penguins have the advantage of confidence over the Capitals largely like the Ducks over the Flames as said above. I hope I'm wrong here as I'd like Capitals fans to get some payoff for all the great regular seasons.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The guy has put it on the line in the playoffs scoring goals in the playoffs at an amazing clip as he's been a point a game and has scored 44 goals in only 90 playoff games (Crosby has 51 in 129 games as a reference). I don't know what else he could do as a captain as he's got the job done on the ice. If anything he could blame his teammates for the lack of support in the playoffs over the years.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #54
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He signed a contract to play for Washington. That for profit league pays him $10M a year. Again, if he bails on his teammates to play for his country that is selfish.
I get your point, but selfish is something you do for yourself, not for your country. I do get hls reasons for putting his country ahead of his club though. Your club may trade you tomorrow.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #55
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

With the caps luck they'll beat the Pens in 6 or 7 but then fall to Ottawa or New York in 5 games.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #56
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
I get your point, but selfish is something you do for yourself, not for your country. I do get hls reasons for putting his country ahead of his club though. Your club may trade you tomorrow.
Don't be naive. He's mostly doing it for himself. Ovechkin wants to win the gold medal more than he wants his country to win it.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #57
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Don't be naive. He's mostly doing it for himself. Ovechkin wants to win the gold medal more than he wants his country to win it.
That's awesome how you get this inside information straight from Ovi himself.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #58
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Flames in 1989 needed a game 7 OT goal to scrape past the Canucks in the first round on route to winning the cup. Maybe this is the turning point for the franchise but we have seen this before from the Capitals. The Leafs are not a very good defensive team and the Capitals had trouble scoring goals in that series at times. It seems like the Penguins have the advantage of confidence over the Capitals largely like the Ducks over the Flames as said above. I hope I'm wrong here as I'd like Capitals fans to get some payoff for all the great regular seasons.
These things are all bound to come to an end some time. I think and pray that this is the year the Capitals break through and beat the Penguins. If they win this series in 6 or 7 games like I predict, they are the odds on favourite to win the Stanley Cup.

Go Caps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:20 PM   #59
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Last year I thought Washinton's depth on defence would be the difference. I was really wrong on that, Letang got suspended and Pittsburgh still won the series. This year this would appear to be more lopsided in Washington's favor. Maybe Fleury instead of Murray gives Washington a bigger edge this year.

I've predicted Washington to win the cup so I'll stick with them in 7. But really Pittsburgh is really superior to the Caps at the center ice position, and maybe that lets them win again in 6. It's the one area where I think Pittsburgh still holds a pretty sizable edge.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #60
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mind = Blown:

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post: