Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #261
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a Darling or Grubauer are the best options, and may be this year's Talbot and Jones. But I'm worried that Treliving is under so much pressure to definitely 'solve' the goaltending issue that he'll throw big money and term at Bishop. And it'll look like a bad deal in 2 or 3 years.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #262
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really amazes me how much a bad season really effects the way fans view a player. I'm sure I'm guilty of it too. I remember thinking Ovechkin was done after a couple of down years from what he usually does.

Still though, I can't believe how many folks think Bishop is finished as a top tier goalie after the 3 seasons he just had before this one. He was top 3 in Vezina voting 2/3 years, won 112 regular season games and carried his team deep in the playoffs twice.

IMO we should be looking at this down season as a well timed gift so that maybe we can get him at a much more palatable deal than the rumored 7 x 7 he wanted last off season. Plus the fact that he's free to sign now and we don't have to give up assets to acquire him.

Pekka Rinne - 34 years old
Craig Anderson - 35 years old
Jonathan Quick - 31 years old
Corey Crawford - 32 years old
Roberto Luongo - 38 years old
Ryan Miller - 38 years old

Look at the stats of that collection of elite goalies, Vezina winners, Jennings winners and Stanley Cup winners. All of them have years where their numbers dipped and then they bounced back, some of them would dip again, and bounce back. The older ones even had a so-so year around 30 or so and still went on to have elite years up until their mid 30's.

And when I say bad year, or down year, or so-so year, we are still talking about just average NHL numbers, not catastrophic Jonas Hiller circa 2015/16 numbers.

Man, I guess I've beat this drum to death. I've said my piece and we will see what happens, but if they sign Bishop I have every confidence he will give us mostly years of above average to elite goaltending even on a 5 or 6 year deal.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #263
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Watching the Leafs and Caps game and watching Andersen and Holtby makes those is just freaking awesome, had the Flames gotten that kind of goaltending, we are talking about games 5, 6 and 7.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #264
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tre will have to cover all his bases when it comes to goltending.

He needs one established veteran and one up and coming goalie and hope he hits on at least one.

One of:

Bishop
Schneider
Elliott
Halak
Miller
Fleury

One of:

Pickard
Darling
Korpisalo
Raanta

This is a great year to do this with expansion.

Love Johnson but they need two legitimate number 1 options.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:37 AM   #265
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

He needs to get the goalie situation figured out first and foremost. After that just see what's available. A good solid #4D, a scoring #1RW, and then if at all possible add more speed/skill/size. For any of this to happen, he needs to trim some players from the roster...Offer LV a great deal, give them Bouma, a prospect and a mid pick for a late pick it they take Brouwer in the expansion draft. They'd lose a prospect and move back on a late pick but would get out from Brouwer and Bouma's contracts. I really do the mind Stajan but if they could get away from that contract too it would be UUUUGE.

IMO Bishop on a max 4 year deal and Grauber on a 2-3 year deal fixes the goalie situation.

A good RW that is young and could grow with the team is a pipe dream but I would love to try a different get Evander Kane. Oshie might be too expensive but he'd be a good option on a shorter, affordable deal. I don't​know who else would be available to add up front​.

Alzner if affordable, if not then Stone as a #4. If they could get some depth on d it would be great...I would LOVE to get a guy like Gudas as a #5-6 and hope a prospect steps into the bottom pairing. Even a guy like Kulikov would be a decent bottom pair guy.

It seems like there's still a lot of work to do with this team but they're getting closer and not farther so that's promising!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:40 AM   #266
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I think a Darling or Grubauer are the best options, and may be this year's Talbot and Jones. But I'm worried that Treliving is under so much pressure to definitely 'solve' the goaltending issue that he'll throw big money and term at Bishop. And it'll look like a bad deal in 2 or 3 years.
I would love to roll with Darling and Grubauer. Sign Darling to a 2 year deal and throw a second and gillies to Washington. We can give Grubauer the chance to become #1 and have the best backup in the league to step in, in case he falters
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #267
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because having 2 not legit #1 goalies is the way to win! Look at all the teams left in the playoffs, not one of them has a clear cut #1 guy because they all have 2 unproven guys. Darling could even. Turn out to be the next Elliot!
Old 04-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #268
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get the stats based appeal of Darling. But: (a) Elliott had great stats but not a lot of starting goalie confidence from his former team and (b) has Calgary ever benefited from grabbing a former role-playing Hawk who's shown well in the POs?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #269
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I get the stats based appeal of Darling. But: (a) Elliott had great stats but not a lot of starting goalie confidence from his former team and (b) has Calgary ever benefited from grabbing a former role-playing Hawk who's shown well in the POs?
Frolik and Versteeg have been good Flames.

I agree wth your take on Darling. Calgary needs to get an established goalie this offseason imo.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #270
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd rather not waste any more time on experiments. Let's go out and get a deal done for a good goalie like Bishop. It will transform this team.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #271
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Frolik and Versteeg have been good Flames.

I agree wth your take on Darling. Calgary needs to get an established goalie this offseason imo.
Frolik had his Winnipeg time to take the effect away. And Versteeg I don't really identify with Chicago any more than the other 5 teams he played for, even though he spent more time there. Versteeg got pretty much identical stats to his previous season in Carolina/LA so he was as advertised I guess.

But Bollig...
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #272
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Folks, we need a goaltender, not a couple more swings at "perhaps" a goaltender.

I don't care who it is, but if he's not an actual #1 goalie, in every sense of the word, I will absolutely lose my s**t.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #273
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Watching the Leafs and Caps game and watching Andersen and Holtby makes those is just freaking awesome, had the Flames gotten that kind of goaltending, we are talking about games 5, 6 and 7.
If we'd gotten that kind of goaltending we'd be talking about game 1 in Edmonton on Wednesday.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote