Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2022, 09:02 AM   #41
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Lol.

The Snyder cut is not a masterpiece. It's much much better than the theatrical cut though. Totally different movie really. All the characters are developed and it's a cohesive movie. I quite enjoyed it. I planned to watch it in parts like a miniseries, but ended to watching the entire thing in one go.

I would definitely watch a sequel, which it now sounds like may be happening as the movie was a streaming hit.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #42
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Was the Zack Snyder cut of Justice League that much better than the theatrical one (or improve on Batman that much)?

Asking as someone that didn't bother with Justice League, because of the trainwrecks leading up to it, and having no faith in Snyder.

Which version should I watch if I ever do need a time waster?
Neither are worth watching, unless you are completely unmotivated to change the channel or do anything else. After that, it just comes down to how much time you have to waste. The theatrical cut is 2 1/2 hours, the Snyder cut is 4.

But if you have that much time to waste watching either, maybe start a new hobby...it'll be a more productive use of your time.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:18 AM   #43
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Saw it last night, I loved the atmosphere. Dark, brooding, but also breaks of light where needed for clarity on the story (e.g. the 'meeting spot').

It had the feel of somewhere between cartoon/comics Batman and Christopher Nolan's take. And that's not a bad spot to be.

The story dragged at times, didn't like the 3-hour run time. Could have easily been 2.5 tops.

Paul Dano is ####ing creepy in this movie. Incel vibes mixed with domestic terrorism.

The Penguin character was probably the best done (outside of Batman). I liked that he was a mid-level mobster, channeling Al Capone. This character is so campy that this treatment of him in a mob-plagued Gotham was the right call. I honestly can't see how Two-Face isn't involved in this Batman universe at some point.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 04:19 PM   #44
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Nolan borrowed heavily from the Dark Knight/Dark Knight Returns Frank Miller novels, especially for TDKR. Batman had been retired for ten years at the start of the Dark Knight Returns, hence the title.

Another thing that Nolan was aiming for was to create more realistic superheros, that would have inspired more fictional comic book heros. In that sense it doesn't make sense to have a repeated cycle of villains being caught and escaping endlessly. It's also not realistic for a man in his 40s to take a continued physical beating day in and out, without suffering permanent damage.

Personally, I didn't think TDKR was the greatest, but I wouldn't call it inconsistent with Batman. I definitely see what Nolan was trying to pull off, and it's a valid take that's consistent with batman's character. The problems with that film had more to do with execution.

There was nothing from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns in the Nolan Batmans.... Snyder used more with Batfleck

However Nolan did use a ton from Frank Miller's Batman Year One.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:46 PM   #45
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
There was nothing from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns in the Nolan Batmans.... Snyder used more with Batfleck
I really disagree. It's basically the same plot. You have batman coming out of retirement to take down a large muscled villain and his gang, who have a plot to destroy Gotham. A pretty good write up from someone more articulate than me:

http://htmlgiant.com/craft-notes/rea...night-trilogy/
Old 03-18-2022, 10:46 AM   #46
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

However Nolan did use a ton from Frank Miller's Batman Year One.
There's ideas from quite a lot of stories.

The basic premise of a cult-like leader of criminals taking over Gotham is in parts reminiscent of The Cult for example. (An IMO underrated story, but super dark and quite trippy.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:53 AM   #47
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
There's ideas from quite a lot of stories.

The basic premise of a cult-like leader of criminals taking over Gotham is in parts reminiscent of The Cult for example. (An IMO underrated story, but super dark and quite trippy.)
The Bane we got in the Dark Knight Rises isn't actually all that much like the comic book Bane. He had more in common with the Mutant leader from the Dark Knight Returns. They even fought in a sewer.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:26 PM   #48
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw The Batman today. It was fine...better than Dark Knight Rises, not as good as the other Nolan Batman flicks. It's about what should be expected from a Batman movie. I would have preferred one of the storylines in a tighter movie -- either the Batman/Catwoman arc or the Riddler arc. It sure was long.

7.5/10.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:36 PM   #49
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most authentic Batman story every put to film. Whoever did the cinematography and costumes are geniuses.

Batman in the old school comics is a detective who also punches people very now and then. He's mortal and doesn't have magic powers. The theme and character work was amazing, moving from themes of vengeance to valor. Vigilanteism to heroism. The update into modern times with fringe internet groups was a great touch, and Paul Dano was equal parts terrifying and very believable as the Riddler. Zoe Kravitz killed it as Catwoman, riding that fine line between hero and villain, and often pursuing her own motivations that only occasionally aligned with Batman.

The battle against corrupt systems and gangs was great. It felt like a crime drama with a detective wearing a mask instead of a traditional superhero film. It was refreshing and provided a lot more to connect to for the audience.

The aesthetics were mesmerizing. From color palates to action sequences, it was raw and visceral. If you could make the exact opposite of a Joel Schumacher version of Batman, this was it.

I do agree with a few quibbles in that Bruce Wayne was far too emo and moody. I think he would know how to put on a public face at least in most situations. It was a tad too long and a couple of plot items didn't make a ton of sense, but they were very minor for the most part.

I went into this thinking it would be a fun new version, but I never expected to be blown away by how amazing it was. This is probably my favorite Batman ever.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2022, 12:33 AM   #50
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
He's mortal and doesn't have magic powers.
Except for being completely bulletproof. Handguns, rifles, machine guns. It got a little carried away. And ya I know I’m nitpicking. 😆
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 09:00 AM   #51
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Except for being completely bulletproof. Handguns, rifles, machine guns. It got a little carried away. And ya I know I’m nitpicking. 😆
That’s part of why the last act didn’t work
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 01:02 PM   #52
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
The shotgun directly to the chest, with no pellets hitting his exposed face was a bit much. Even with armor that would likely shatter his chest.
Old 03-22-2022, 09:49 AM   #53
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My nephew dragged me out to this one, I've kinda been protesting spending money on DC films. And I'll say it's close to great overall, aside from some major pacing issues at the end the movie worked.

Two things, I think could have made this the best Batman movie ever. I think cutting this movie off at the riddler in getting arrested would have been perfect, and this probably could have been a great movie. Have faith you can write some of the content into a sequel, and in the goodbye to Catwoman when she was saying Batman the power struggle would leave the streets dripping in blood and Batman can't fix it, she should have said something like only money can fix it, giving the Bruce inside the Bat that little jab, he's chosen to be part of the problem rather than trying to fix the problem. I think that could have been big character development ground work for a second film.

I personally think the Nolan films are overrated and absolutely could be toppled by this franchise. Begins was good but nothing special up against the first two Batman movies or this one, dark knight was very good but Ledger really carried that entire film on his back with a singular performance, and Rises was disjointed and confusing.

One thing I did like in the bad part of the film was one of the riddler wannabees saying I am vengeance, giving the bat that awkward moment of self reflection.

I love the Marvel movies, but I really like a DC that isn't trying to be Marvel, a lot more than what we got the last 10 years, where they just tried to copy their competitor with bad CGI and a poor understanding of who the characters they wanted to represent were.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 03-22-2022, 06:26 PM   #54
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally was this today with my daughter. It was pretty enjoyable, but some things were really bad.

What happened to the great detective story we were promised? Batman couldn't solve anything other than answer stupid riddles. That was disappointing, there was no big mystery to unwrap here.

I caught the seawall reference at the beginning and was expecting something to come of that.. But a few explosions causing a city to flood? Give me a break, we are to believe that Gotham was underwater before the sewall was built? That's not how they work.

I liked the characters well enough and I did like Batman's character arc.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2022, 10:30 PM   #55
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Theatre owners were sent memo's to recalibrate the brightness levels on their projectors to enhance the movie goers experience and to be able to see all the action. Especially since the movie was filmed at night.

As for me it rates as the best Batman movie so far. I was worried about the length but feel the plot didn't drag on like it can in some movies or 2 hours.

Loved the joker and his character. Came across as realy creepy and mentaly deranged.

The seawall ending dampened my my view of the movie somewhat. I thought it was kinda hokey and not that believable.

Overall it was nice to see a movie that didn't rely too much on CGI or violence.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:58 PM   #56
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Theatre owners were sent memo's to recalibrate the brightness levels on their projectors to enhance the movie goers experience and to be able to see all the action. Especially since the movie was filmed at night.

As for me it rates as the best Batman movie so far. I was worried about the length but feel the plot didn't drag on like it can in some movies or 2 hours.

Loved the joker and his character. Came across as realy creepy and mentaly deranged.

The seawall ending dampened my my view of the movie somewhat. I thought it was kinda hokey and not that believable.

Overall it was nice to see a movie that didn't rely too much on CGI or violence.
Um...Dion? Can I have a word with you? I'm worried that we may need to find someone to come and take care of you in your home in the near future.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2022, 01:05 PM   #57
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He sure got a lot from that Joker character in his 1 minute of screen time. Impressive.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 06:46 PM   #58
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Um...Dion? Can I have a word with you? I'm worried that we may need to find someone to come and take care of you in your home in the near future.
Ok ok ok.... I meant the Riddler
Old 03-24-2022, 02:59 PM   #59
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Not sure how to embed, but ahhh wow.

Deleted scene Batman interviews the Joker.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:08 AM   #60
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could they not find a big enough dump truck of money to get Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker in this universe? His take would’ve fit in. As it is it’s just… another Joker.

I found it weird how like… Catwoman calls him vengeance 3 or 4 times and one of the bad guys at the end mocks him saying “I’m vengeance” — so that wasn’t just a cool thing he came up with in the moment to freak those guys out? He goes around saying it all the time and everyone knows it’s his catch phrase? Makes it kinda lame.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote