Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2022, 06:53 PM   #41
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I find all this kinda funny. So much pearl clutching about cancel culture but if Spotify cancels their deal with Rogan it’ll actually make his content more accessible to the world, not less.

Both Rogan fans and Rogan haters seem to be aligned here because they can both get what they want!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 07:02 PM   #42
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Rogan is a host. Are media hosts responsible for everything their guests say? If CNN interviews a general who says a country is harbouring terrorists, and public opinion is moved marginally towards a war against that country, is CNN responsible for those consequences?

And even if there may be a case for removing that episode of Rogan’s podcast, it’s clear that ideological enemies of Rogan smell blood and want the whole show removed from Spotify. Which is getting into the realm of pressuring Spotify (and by extension iTunes, etc) into hosting only Blue Tribe content. The ideal of broadly popular, non-partisan platforms is not shared by everybody. Some would very much like a world where all media, news, and entertainment platforms took a clear stand and declared allegiance to their side of the culture wars. Which I think would be a very bad thing.
Host isn’t a protected class. A Host is responsible for all content if that content is left unchallenged. If before airing the Malone podcast every time Malone misled or lied or Mischaracterized a voice over jumped in to correct the record maybe you could say that the host was doing their job. Giving a person an 11 million person audience Comes with significant responsibility.

If CNN knows that this general is going to lie on the air and they do absolutely nothing to challenge or indicate that the general is lying then CNN should absolutely be blamed.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:04 PM   #43
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I find all this kinda funny. So much pearl clutching about cancel culture but if Spotify cancels their deal with Rogan it’ll actually make his content more accessible to the world, not less.

Both Rogan fans and Rogan haters seem to be aligned here because they can both get what they want!
It depends if the main podcast apps don’t include him or not. I can’t see apple adding his podcast to their feed if Spotify boots him.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:26 PM   #44
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It depends if the main podcast apps don’t include him or not. I can’t see apple adding his podcast to their feed if Spotify boots him.
True. But it’s just a podcast. I can’t imagine there are many barriers to listening.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:25 PM   #45
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hate Joe Rogens offering, to the point I probably think a little bit less of you if you start talking about how great he is. I've only listened to a few and cherry picked ones where I knew he had great interview guests who I respect, so I don't exactly know what is going on when he interviews these quacks, but it's really not hard to image what having an intellectually uncurious person like Rogen interviewing a snake oils salesman would sound like.

With all of that context, honestly if they are taking down the episodes with the bad actors, and putting some guardrails on the damage he can do in the future, I don't see why you would need to cancel the guy. In war tribunals you hang the generals not the lieutenants, this guy is just the fool buying into what the quacks are saying he just happens to have millions of other fools following him.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 10:44 PM   #46
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Spotify CEO Daniel Ek said in a message to employees released Sunday that the company would not part ways with Rogan.

“While I strongly condemn what Joe has said and I agree with his decision to remove past episodes from our platform, I realize some will want more,” Ek said in the note. “And I want to make one point very clear – I do not believe that silencing Joe is the answer.”

“We should have clear lines around content and take action when they are crossed, but canceling voices is a slippery slope. Looking at the issue more broadly, it’s critical thinking and open debate that powers real and necessary progress,” Ek wrote. He said he was “deeply sorry” for the impact the controversy was having on Spotify’s workforce.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainm...?ocid=msedgntp
Old 02-07-2022, 12:02 AM   #47
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The worst part of this situation is that Spotify can afford to pay Rogan $100,000,000 while giving musicians a tiny fraction of a penny per play.
The saddest part of this was before his major deal Rogan had The Black Keys on to speak out against Spotify. Rogan was right into what they were selling on how these major streaming platforms cut the artist right out.

Yet, what does he do? Goes and signs a $100mil contract above any and all music artists on that very platform. He also "altruistically" claimed that he wouldn't take any deal on any platform because he wanted his content free to anyone on the internet.

I actually liked Rogan's podcast back in the day, but he's full of #### as far as morals go and more importantly misinformed and willing to spread that misinformation to millions of his followers.

Last edited by jayswin; 02-07-2022 at 12:14 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 12:03 AM   #48
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

His apology about needing to balance out the different views last week was horse**** as well, btw. He changed from the guy that sells himself as someone who knows nothing and has people on so he can learn to the guy that's got it figured out and has specific guests on to reaffirm his beliefs.

It's clear as day.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 12:07 AM   #49
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deplatforming should be reserved for people who try to overthrow the US government or harass the parents of school shooting victims.

Call me old fashioned.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 12:11 AM   #50
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always liked Joe Rogan, but my distaste for antivax morons has grown exponentially over the last year, especially ones that spread their misinformed garbage to others.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 04:13 AM   #51
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
His apology about needing to balance out the different views last week was horse**** as well, btw. He changed from the guy that sells himself as someone who knows nothing and has people on so he can learn to the guy that's got it figured out and has specific guests on to reaffirm his beliefs.

It's clear as day.
Yeah I listened to every Rogan podcast for years, and somewhere around 2018 I started noticing a lot more of this and I just got annoyed with it all. I couldn't stand to listen to him question someone on the all meat diet or whether or not saunas could cure every illness until he would find someone that would agree.

I don't think Rogan is evil, or even racist to be honest. He's a macho meathead who gets sucked in by every snake oil salesman that shows up on his show. Whether it's bulletproof coffee and butter, or it's the all meat diet, etc. I think the backlash about his misinformation stuff is that a lot of us are probably encountering it in our daily lives. I'm from Northern Alberta, so I was flooded with clips of McCullough and Malone. I certainly wasn't flooded with posts of Michael Osterholm early in the pandemic (who was pretty bang on about everything).

Rogan putting Malone and McCullough on back to back, right before a big protest in Washington wasn't by accident either.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 07:25 AM   #52
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The saddest part of this was before his major deal Rogan had The Black Keys on to speak out against Spotify. Rogan was right into what they were selling on how these major streaming platforms cut the artist right out.

Yet, what does he do? Goes and signs a $100mil contract above any and all music artists on that very platform. He also "altruistically" claimed that he wouldn't take any deal on any platform because he wanted his content free to anyone on the internet.
Yes, Rogan abandoned his principles for money. But so did Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, and all the other artists who sold the rights to their catalogues for enormous sums in the last year or two in order to take advantage of a tax loophole before it closes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...iner-1.6310333

It’s funny, but ole “I ain’t singing for Pepsi, I ain’t singing for Coke” Neil didn’t legally have the right to pull his music from Spotify. His label and the publisher who now controls the rights complied as a gesture of goodwill.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 02-07-2022 at 07:46 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 07:40 AM   #53
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who's talking about those guys? We know artists sell their music all the time, especially later in their lives. This thread is about Joe Rogan, it clearly says in the title.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:51 AM   #54
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this is cancelling, I think we should all dream of being cancelling.

He basically deplatformed himself when he took $100 million from Spotify and removed himself from other platforms. If Spotify decides to get rid of him - then he'll go back to the other platforms and make millions another way.

He'll be fine regardless. Spotify is the one taking the hit because they paid big bucks for this and now they are reaping the consequences.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:57 AM   #55
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

In a nutshell cancel culture is an absolute #### show, its insane what people are digging up and using for ammo.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:57 AM   #56
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn’t about feeling sorry for Joe Rogan. It’s about media platforms succumbing to pressure to ensure their content conforms to ideological and political alignments. It was bad and stupid when networks suppressed content to avoid offending religious conservatives, and it’s bad and stupid now that they’re doing the same to avoid offending activists on the left.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 02-07-2022 at 08:04 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:59 AM   #57
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He said the N-Word a bunch of times along with abhorrent takes on race.

Spotify also knew all this they signed him, and he released an episode yesterday.

Last edited by FormerPresJamesTaylor; 02-07-2022 at 08:09 AM.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:00 AM   #58
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This isn’t about feeling sorry for Joe Rogan. It’s about media platforms succumbing to pressure to align their content along ideological and political lines, and how that will inflame the polarization that afflicts society.
I'm sure you'd agree at this point none of this has occurred in this case. The removed episodes were done at his request and Spotify has said they aren't going to 'silence' him.

Quote:
Spotify’s chief executive said it was Rogan’s decision to remove episodes of “The Joe Rogan Experience” from the platform following discussions with the company about “some of the content in his show, including his history of using some racially insensitive language.”
Old 02-07-2022, 08:07 AM   #59
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This isn’t about feeling sorry for Joe Rogan. It’s about media platforms succumbing to pressure to ensure their content conforms to ideological and political alignments. It was bad and stupid when networks suppressed content to avoid offending religious conservatives, and it’s bad and stupid now that they’re doing the same to avoid offending activists on the left.
I'd also question why 'the vaccine is good' and 'don't say the n-word' are political at all.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 08:28 AM   #60
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I'd also question why 'the vaccine is good' and 'don't say the n-word' are political at all.
Seriously?

EVERYTHING is political now.

Its what happens when identity politics becomes the number 1 driving force of idealogues.

If you like it and your opponent doesnt....you are a bad person. And vice-versa.

Christ....we have people assuming everyone who doesnt believe in getting a vaccine for themselves....is now a white supremacist. Regardless of their skin color or even actual beliefs.

Common sense, critical thinking and healthy debate have been replaced by making sure you are on the opposite side of any and every issue your opposition has taken a stand on.

This is "woke" culture.