Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2022, 05:52 PM   #81
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
I was there two weeks ago on a Friday. It was packed. Chicken wings can't be beat there. I had friends down from Edmonton that weekend and they were blown away.

I talked with the owner. She is putting in four taps for local craft beers..
They only had AGD on tap.

Wings were only ok, nothing to write home about. Did appreciate the effort into homemade sauces, but there are better ways to add heat than chili flakes.

The search continues...
Old 03-23-2022, 08:18 AM   #82
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
They only had AGD on tap.

Wings were only ok, nothing to write home about. Did appreciate the effort into homemade sauces, but there are better ways to add heat than chili flakes.

The search continues...
I too found Mugshots completely over hyped, I think they spend too much trying to market their gimmicky sauces that don't really taste like what they claim they are lol.

Sadly its hard to find a good "_insert anything_" these days when going out.
Everything is so over priced, between costs and inflation in general I cant be bothered spending that kind of money to eat out when with the right materials you can make things at home so much better.

teaks, Wings, BBQ meats etc
Hell.. even burgers etc are so over priced at most places, you're better off just making them at home, even with the increase costs @ the grocery store.

20+ dollars to eat a frozen patty... what a time to be alive.

Find a good butcher (these days I find half the time I go its cheaper than grocery store meat and way better quality)

Buying a smoker was a godsend, I can make better meat than any restaurant BBQ I've come across (The one in Okotoks is actually legit but pricey)

The quality of service/food is just not there anymore then they expect a 15+% tip on top of it....
It's sad but I don't know how it turns around at this point. I'd much rather cook than pay the abysmal prices to eat out these days.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #83
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only restaurant wings I like surprisingly is the el forno hot wings at Earls... Everything else doesn't compare to what I can smoke at home.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:17 PM   #84
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I bake mine now. I use Kenji's method that makes them crispy in a convection oven (air fryer).

I make my own buffalo sauce so I can cut down on the butter a bit.
oh sweet mother!!!! i tried this method for wings tonight - AMAZING!!!! this will be my go to method from now on when doing wings - they were absolutely fantastic!!!

thanks for posting that video DIF!
Old 03-30-2022, 07:35 PM   #85
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a countertop air fryer/oven for Xmas (Kalorik brand). Did some wings a couple weeks ago, and after doing some research, this is almost exactly the method I used (in the video). Really good. A lot of work though, had to do in batches. I'd replace my actual oven with a convection oven if I had a chance.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote