Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #101
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

not sure why people are that concerned about colborne/backlund in the lineup predictions. Colborne has been progressing over the last half-dozen games, and backlund has looked more and more ineffective. Backlund's not playing poorly, but colborne has started really looking good out there.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #102
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Is Liles decent enough to plug a spot for the next few years if the Flames got a 2nd and a solid prospect as well?

$3.8 isn't that bad a contract if he's better than the current bottom pairing for the next 30 months.
If the Leafs want the Flames to take that contract we better see a 1st rounder coming our way.

I would do Butler for Liles + 2014 1st + 2015 2nd (conditional - if the Flames buy out Liles in the offseason)

Otherwise they can get lost.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #103
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
not sure why people are that concerned about colborne/backlund in the lineup predictions. Colborne has been progressing over the last half-dozen games, and backlund has looked more and more ineffective. Backlund's not playing poorly, but colborne has started really looking good out there.
I agree, Colborne and Backlund are both young improving players. People should be complaining about Stajan taking minutes away from these two players. Please trade him Feaster/Burke.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #104
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

really? thought stajan is looking just fine also.

If anything what was considered a roster glaring weakness, the center position, is actually outperforming expectations.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #105
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate games between my favourite team of all time (Leafs) and the Flames. I try to never miss a game played by either of them. Urghhh who to cheer for.. Gotta go with Flames. F.O.E. Hope it's a good game.

BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #106
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I enjoyed watching the Laffs run the oilers around last night...

Flames.win.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #107
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil1 View Post
The national (TO) media has been pumping the leafs up (as usual). It's time to let the air out (again).

http://flames.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2010020467
I think they're for real this time.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #108
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I agree, Colborne and Backlund are both young improving players. People should be complaining about Stajan taking minutes away from these two players. Please trade him Feaster/Burke.
We really do need a defensively responsible first line player though. We can't go full oiler in year one.

Backlund has been our least impressive center so far and putting ourselves in a position where we throw Monohan and Colborne out against first line talent on a nightly basis would not be ideal for either of their developments.

Last edited by TheDebaser; 10-30-2013 at 03:12 PM.
TheDebaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #109
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flames win 6-1. Hat trick from Baertschi, Monahan with 1, Hudler with 1, Davey Jones with 1.

McG fights Phaneuf and makes him substantially more ugly than he already is. Elisha can't take it and hooks up with Monahan. This improves morale substantially, Flames win the cup.

-Brett Hull
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxter Renegade For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #110
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Matt Stajan is our best 2 way forward. I know the tank crowd want us to kick out all the vets and finish last but I want the playoffs and we need Stajan to do that. That and you don't trade a guy like Stajan for minimal return at this time just to make room for inferior players to get ice time.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #111
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDebaser View Post
We really do need a defensively responsible first line player though. We can't go full oiler in year one.

Backlund has been our least impressive center so far and putting ourselves in a position where we throw Monohan and Colborne out against first line talent on a nightly basis would not be ideal for either of their developments.
I agree with everything in this post except Backlund being the least impressive. He's been great IMO.

Having enough good centers that you have to change which one plays on the 4th line every night is not a bad thing.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #112
evil1
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDebaser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil1 View Post
The national (TO) media has been pumping the leafs up (as usual). It's time to let the air out (again).

http://flames.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2010020467
I think they're for real this time.
They've been riding an unsustainably high shooting percentage. I predict that the bubble will burst by Xmas.
evil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #113
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Elliot Freedman was suggesting the Leafs will need to find one of the 8 teams with copious cap space to take Liles in the next few weeks and that Calgary was likely.

He also suggested that taking Liles and his $3.9M cap hit for this and the next two seasons would be quite a favour resulting in something else of value getting added for Calgary in order to make it work.

This is pretty much how the Flames have positioned themselves, but I guess three years is longer than I envisioned.

Is Liles decent enough to plug a spot for the next few years if the Flames got a 2nd and a solid prospect as well?

$3.8 isn't that bad a contract if he's better than the current bottom pairing for the next 30 months.
The question of what would be fair compensation for taking Liles off their hands is an interesting one.

I do not think a 2nd is enough.

And I don't think there is any chance they give up a 1st (I sure wouldn't).

So that leaves me thinking that maybe a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year might do it. Or, as you say, a 2nd and a prospect.

How about we send them Butler or Smith (to replenish their depth) and they give us 2 2nds with Liles?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #114
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

How about we send them Butler or Smith (to replenish their depth) and they give us 2 2nds with Liles?
As much as Liles is a bad contract he is an upgrade over either SOB or Butler so I would be thrilled with that.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #115
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm going to be pissed if half the dome is blue tonight. I hope the boys make sure their crowd stays hush. Will be cheering loud for the good guys and in the proper colours. Leafs are still a joke getting bailed out by good goaltending. Let's expose and humiliate them!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #116
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Imagine how wired McGrattan and Orr must be right now. There's little doubt that this heavyweight tilt is going down tonight.

Orr was the last guy I can remember that really got the best of Big Ern. I remember Orr caught him with a shot that really hurt him and Orr kind of let McGrattan off the hook when he saw that he had Mcgrattan in big trouble.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #117
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyboi View Post
That's why I hope that Sportsnet are doing a Flames feed coz I don't want to listen to a CBC feed that are unbelievably pro-Leafs!!
A Flames fan in Ballymena, Northern Ireland! Beautiful wee town!

If you weren't so Ballymena, with your Ballymoney, you could buy a Ballycastle, for your Ballyholme.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #118
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggysback05 View Post
Imagine how wired McGrattan and Orr must be right now. There's little doubt that this heavyweight tilt is going down tonight.

Orr was the last guy I can remember that really got the best of Big Ern. I remember Orr caught him with a shot that really hurt him and Orr kind of let McGrattan off the hook when he saw that he had Mcgrattan in big trouble.
Don't forget Frazer Mclaren too. McGrattan could be busy tonight.

I thought Jackman might come in because of all the tough guys on the leafs, but even if he did play, Orr and Mclaren would destroy him anyways.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #119
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one who cannot stand Mark Masters?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #120
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'm going to be pissed if half the dome is blue tonight. I hope the boys make sure their crowd stays hush. Will be cheering loud for the good guys and in the proper colours. Leafs are still a joke getting bailed out by good goaltending. Let's expose and humiliate them!
Funny cus I'm pretty sure that's what people have been saying about the Flames for many years before the rebuild.
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burnthetreesdown , gtd , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin