Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2022, 10:15 PM   #101
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finally got around to watching this on Crave. I'm really disappointed I didn't see it in theaters. I think it was one of my favorite Batman movies and I LOVE that they went really dark with it. I understand that's not everyone's cup of tea especially with the Batman franchise. But for me it worked on so many different levels.

The Riddler being so menacing and unsettling was hands down my favourite part of the movie. I thought the serial killer persona along with his online following was perfect and alarming because I could totally see something like that (the militia attacking the stadium) happening in real life. Sad but true and I was on the edge of my seat watching it. I cannot think of a better serial killer than Paul Dano. That guy is seriously creepy when he wants to be.

Robert Pattinson really proved me wrong - I didn't think he was going to make a great Batman. He really nailed the character, I genuinely
enjoyed his arc of Bruce Wayne being more more angst-y rather than rich playboy. Aside from his "I am Vengeance" line at the beginning I really enjoyed him as Batman.

Also really liked Zoe Kravitz and her character and for the love of God, please give us more Andy Serkis in everything, not just animated roles. He's ####ing fantastic.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2022, 09:14 AM   #102
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
What happened to the great detective story we were promised? Batman couldn't solve anything other than answer stupid riddles. That was disappointing, there was no big mystery to unwrap here.
This annoyed me the most. The biggest payoff would have been Batman deducing Riddler's identity and the effort to them find him.

Instead, the Riddler was either clumsy or gave himself up (so that he could explain the plot to the audience later) by letting a bystander see him going into a diner.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2022, 09:45 AM   #103
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Probably time to reboot a camp Batman?

Pendulum has gone so far to “dark” at this point it feels like you’re just cheering on mental illness?

I get it. But where is the fun?

(I liked the Mad Max style Batmobile)
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:08 PM   #104
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's decades of camp Batman to enjoy.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:09 PM   #105
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
Probably time to reboot a camp Batman?

Pendulum has gone so far to “dark” at this point it feels like you’re just cheering on mental illness?

I get it. But where is the fun?

(I liked the Mad Max style Batmobile)
Naw, the reboot due to how dark the movies have become should be simply to hire a lighting crew.

I found it hard to watch what was going on... literally.

The Dollar Store has light bulbs, as does Walmart. Should be be that hard to light a movie set.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:06 PM   #106
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t necessarily think it’s time for “camp” Batman. But I do think the whole DC universe would benefit from being set in the 50s-60s. Would remove their comparisons from Marvel and allow us to see hero’s a setting we haven’t yet.

I also think the DC characters fit that era better.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:10 PM   #107
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I don’t necessarily think it’s time for “camp” Batman. But I do think the whole DC universe would benefit from being set in the 50s-60s. Would remove their comparisons from Marvel and allow us to see hero’s a setting we haven’t yet.

Except maybe John Stewart GL. He almost certainly does not prefer the 50s/60s.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-01-2022 at 07:12 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 08:25 AM   #108
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched it over 2 nights this weekend, way too long, even broken up it felt like it dragged. The ending went on way too long.

I liked the Bat-mobile, though they showed a few shots of engine pieces, it would have been cool if he had spent a little time working on it. Just a few shots putting it together or something. The Bat-bike at the end felt out of place given how clean it was vs the car.

The dark settings were great for atmosphere, but come on, give us a few daylight scenes to break it up.

I found the score dull and forgettable, given I still remember '89 Batman, and hearing it instantly brings back all sorts of scenes.

I'm not sure we needed yet another movie calling back to the death of his parents as a plot element.

Can no one speak with a clear voice anymore? So hard to hear so much of the movie.

The biggest issue for me is that Batman has got to be the worst detective on earth, and given that was the point of this version of Batman, well...major fail. He got led around by The Riddler at every turn, failed to avoid any death, or stop the main event. He saved a few people from water-shock, that was about it. And that didn't have to do with detective work. I thought we were going to se The Batman foiling stuff all over with his smarts, isntead he seems like he is solving all sorts of riddles, but it turns out he is being played.

Overall it was fine to good, but I can't see myself ever sitting through it again.

Last edited by Fuzz; 05-02-2022 at 08:35 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:48 AM   #109
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Only made it a half hour in, great aesthetic but too slow. The use of Nirvana's "Something in the way" was so good that it improved my opinion of the song. I wonder if Kurt ever got old, would he have approved the use of his music in a big studio movie?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:43 PM   #110
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post

I would watch a camp Justice league, Ryan Reynolds tongue in cheek style set in the 1950s with silly Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman, etc. doing Superman is a dick type things.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote