Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2022, 01:10 PM   #81
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
While that may be true, I can't imagine someone holding their wife up as the final answer on anti-semitism as proof to the internet that it is OK.
I mean, his wife literally okay’d the use of a cheap pine box as a casket. So, setting aside the broader implications of anti-Semitism, she’s at least aware that, as one of the most famous comedians of the last 50 years, Gilbert’s death and funeral are going to be as much a source of comedy as his life, and I have to suspect she knows that’s how he would’ve wanted it.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:18 PM   #82
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, Gilbert's wife. I'll take that as an opinion that matters. CPF's wife? Not holding the same weight.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:11 PM   #83
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I mean, his wife literally okay’d the use of a cheap pine box as a casket. So, setting aside the broader implications of anti-Semitism, she’s at least aware that, as one of the most famous comedians of the last 50 years, Gilbert’s death and funeral are going to be as much a source of comedy as his life, and I have to suspect she knows that’s how he would’ve wanted it.
I found out the pine box is pretty common with Jewish people. Even the more ornate coffins aren’t super fancy because they don’t allow metal. I think that’s great because spending thousands on a pretty box to house your corpse is so wasteful.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:12 PM   #84
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Sure, Gilbert's wife. I'll take that as an opinion that matters. CPF's wife? Not holding the same weight.
agreed.
I'm ok with the title as Gilbert seemed to make it his life's work to be offensive when an opening was presented.

I did think it was funny that CPF thought bringing up his wife's opinion would make any controversy over the title end.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2022, 02:17 PM   #85
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I found out the pine box is pretty common with Jewish people. Even the more ornate coffins aren’t super fancy because they don’t allow metal. I think that’s great because spending thousands on a pretty box to house your corpse is so wasteful.
they're really not all that cheap, either.
If I remember correctly, the cheapest box the funeral place would sell me for cremation when my dad died cost like $500. And it was plywood, not pine.
It was $200 more for if you wanted a flip up lid for a service.

I think then the environmental fee was on top of that.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:12 AM   #86
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
they're really not all that cheap, either.
If I remember correctly, the cheapest box the funeral place would sell me for cremation when my dad died cost like $500. And it was plywood, not pine.
It was $200 more for if you wanted a flip up lid for a service.

I think then the environmental fee was on top of that.
And you can buy some _very_ nice boxes for cremation. My buddy (a woodworker) cremated his father last year and he was positively offended that people would spend money on a nice wooden box only to then burn it. I get that we aren't in a wood recession or anything, but it's outrageously wasteful. I get that the funeral business needs to run, but man that feels wrong.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:07 AM   #87
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
And you can buy some _very_ nice boxes for cremation. My buddy (a woodworker) cremated his father last year and he was positively offended that people would spend money on a nice wooden box only to then burn it. I get that we aren't in a wood recession or anything, but it's outrageously wasteful. I get that the funeral business needs to run, but man that feels wrong.
There are a few industries in this wacky world of ours that dont make a whole hell of a lot of sense when analyzed with a critical eye.

It doesnt make a lot of sense to buy an expensive Cadillac Coffin only to look at it a little while and then bury it.

Funerals and Weddings are completely ridiculous.

Thousands of dollars on a dress to be worn once. Hundreds of dollars for a cake that is going to be eaten....on and on it goes.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:23 AM   #88
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I should look up how to go about being laid to rest like Luke Perry.
I remember reading about the mushroom (infinity) burial suit and it was pretty cool.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:18 AM   #89
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
There are a few industries in this wacky world of ours that dont make a whole hell of a lot of sense when analyzed with a critical eye.

It doesnt make a lot of sense to buy an expensive Cadillac Coffin only to look at it a little while and then bury it.

Funerals and Weddings are completely ridiculous.

Thousands of dollars on a dress to be worn once. Hundreds of dollars for a cake that is going to be eaten....on and on it goes.
Displays of social status mean a lot to some people. I know multiple people who spent $40k+ on weddings and were either left with massive debt or depleted their life savings. They got to show all their friends that they could afford fancy doilies and chairs though.

Even half that cash invested into a RESP for their child, could alter the course of their families life for generations......the doilies though.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:14 PM   #90
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

This popped up on YouTube. It’s important for context to point out that this was on live tv and all before 8am.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 01:23 PM   #91
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those hosts are amazing. I love how they basically let him roll with it as long as they possibly could.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:24 AM   #92
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Pretty much all the cancel-culture outrage comes from a very small, but very loud group of outrage-addicts who are always searching for their next hit and they can only remember up to 3-6 months worth of events at a time.
And make no mistake we're at a point now where most major comedians bemoan cancel culture but secretly love it as they feed off it and push it to the forefront on purpose. It helps keep comedians in the news cycles, pushing more eyeballs to their names and specials.

I mean a lot of boring current acts from comedians are them just whining about cancel culture the whole set while next to no one is actually getting cancelled these days.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:34 AM   #93
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

The celebrity world is just a big business where you use anything you can on social media to further your career. Right now being outraged at cancel culture has become pretty big business. Draws lots of eyes, gets people emotional on both sides, etc.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 02:50 PM   #94
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
And make no mistake we're at a point now where most major comedians bemoan cancel culture but secretly love it as they feed off it and push it to the forefront on purpose. It helps keep comedians in the news cycles, pushing more eyeballs to their names and specials.

I mean a lot of boring current acts from comedians are them just whining about cancel culture the whole set while next to no one is actually getting cancelled these days.

It really depends on what camp the comedian is in, there's still a lot of comedic talent that is highly dependent on the studio system, people like Sarah Silverman, Bill Maher or Seth Rogen can all cross a line that will cost them millions. The studio talent has become so domesticated and neutered, it's been 10 years since the studio system has been able to pump out top tier comedies with any consistency.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote