Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2022, 04:46 PM   #641
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Anyone mention Summer of Soul? It's pretty darn good.

I don't pay much attention to the Oscars except for the documentary category because they don't get much mainstream press.

I also watched Attica which is all kinds of disturbing. I knew the cops killed a bunch of prisoners but I didn't know the extent of how they sickly tortured and murdered them. The scene outside of the prison showing police wanting to go back for another round while shouting "White Power" made me furious.

I hope to watch the rest of the nominees soon.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 04:48 PM   #642
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Seeing a good, non-comedy drama starring Ferrell was a min#### the first time.

You were just waiting for him to yell something dumb the entire film. But he just carried on being a normal human being.
I was way to busy being utterly entranced by Maggie Gyllenhaal to even notice to be fair
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2022, 04:52 PM   #643
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Robocop should be at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
you're the first person I've heard be so overwhelmingly negative about the movie.
Have to say I largely disagree with you.
He’s kind of right though, I thought Encanto was probably the weakest of the five nominees.

Mitchell’s Vs. The Machines was incredible.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:06 AM   #644
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1509736142127644673
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:42 AM   #645
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I feel like all this bluster from the Academy is after the fact trying to make sure that nobody does anything like this again.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:01 AM   #646
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
If you can have Eternal Sunshine (great movie) I'm taking Stranger Than Fiction with Will Ferrell
Being John Malkovich
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2022, 08:02 AM   #647
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Being John Malkovich
Ah, every time I see this movie mentioned I remember that I need to see it!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:26 AM   #648
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lol! Style? Is there such a thing anymore? People never leave their homes anymore, whats the point?
I've been going out constantly. Office twice a week, restaurants, games, etc. I finally got to use my Harry Rosen gift cards from the MIL I've been stocking up on for two years' worth of Christmas and birthday gifts.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:25 PM   #649
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Disney shouldn't be allowed to release another feature SW film without Lucas' expressed approval. They butchered his universe.
Lucas ruined it long before Disney had a chance to do so. The truth is that the movies were good movies that could never live up to the hype and the mystique built up over generations of kids. The story is pretty cookie cutter stuff and while it is fun, it isn't really thoughtful or make you think about it afterwards. The prequels were trash as well and relied on CGI which looked very quickly dated.

Disney is going to ####ing milk it for everything that it is worth though, between every minor character getting a show and movies that make billions of dollars from franchise name alone, it would be hard not to.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 12:15 AM   #650
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Lucas ruined it long before Disney had a chance to do so. The truth is that the movies were good movies that could never live up to the hype and the mystique built up over generations of kids. The story is pretty cookie cutter stuff and while it is fun, it isn't really thoughtful or make you think about it afterwards. The prequels were trash as well and relied on CGI which looked very quickly dated.

Disney is going to ####ing milk it for everything that it is worth though, between every minor character getting a show and movies that make billions of dollars from franchise name alone, it would be hard not to.
The mythos, the force, the jedi, the sith, lightsabers, their attire, the distinctive styles and architecture of each planet, the iconic villains, the iconic aliens, the ships, the bounty hunters in full armour..

It's all unique to Star Wars. And it's all still extremely cool and easy to invest in because it's all interwoven with our childhoods. The stories might not be special when you dissect them but the leverage they have is that they are taking place in an incredible universe that was extraordinarily fleshed out by George.

I think it's a universe that every one that grew up with the movies wants to escape in. If Star Wars' popularity was based strictly on its storytelling the franchise would've fizzled out a long time ago.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2022, 11:32 AM   #651
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Every one of these movie argument threads makes me realize I am a troglodyte who is easily entertained.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Dune and can't wait for part 2 but I have also seen and enjoyed both pacific rim movies...
Gigantic beasts are attacking Earth's cities. Gigantic robots are designed to combat them. The design is rejected in favor of air strikes.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:03 PM   #652
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
The mythos, the force, the jedi, the sith, lightsabers, their attire, the distinctive styles and architecture of each planet, the iconic villains, the iconic aliens, the ships, the bounty hunters in full armour..

It's all unique to Star Wars. And it's all still extremely cool and easy to invest in because it's all interwoven with our childhoods. The stories might not be special when you dissect them but the leverage they have is that they are taking place in an incredible universe that was extraordinarily fleshed out by George.

I think it's a universe that every one that grew up with the movies wants to escape in. If Star Wars' popularity was based strictly on its storytelling the franchise would've fizzled out a long time ago.
In recent years, it's come out that George is actually not the best filmmaker and most of his films, when he is given full reign are Howard the Duck/SW Prequels quality.

A New Hope was saved in the cutting room by Marcia Lucas and the Empire Strikes Back by a Kershner, Kasdan, and other creatives that held back Lucas's worst creative instincts that lead to Jar Jars and sand. Actors would change lines of dialogue with Harrison Ford saying that Lucas can write the stuff but there is no way to act it. Too bad nobody followed that advice on the prequels.

By the time of Return of the Jedi, some of that poor creative instincts of George came back with the Ewoks, etc.

The concepts in Star Wars are also just George's recycling of Flash Gordon, Kurosawa movies, and Dune.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2022, 04:28 PM   #653
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
In recent years, it's come out that George is actually not the best filmmaker and most of his films, when he is given full reign are Howard the Duck/SW Prequels quality.

A New Hope was saved in the cutting room by Marcia Lucas and the Empire Strikes Back by a Kershner, Kasdan, and other creatives that held back Lucas's worst creative instincts that lead to Jar Jars and sand. Actors would change lines of dialogue with Harrison Ford saying that Lucas can write the stuff but there is no way to act it. Too bad nobody followed that advice on the prequels.

By the time of Return of the Jedi, some of that poor creative instincts of George came back with the Ewoks, etc.

The concepts in Star Wars are also just George's recycling of Flash Gordon, Kurosawa movies, and Dune.
I doubt many people have ever gave much attention to these claims.
His accomplishments speak for themselves.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:31 PM   #654
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Yeah but so what? Just because George kinda sucks doesn’t make the original trilogy any less spectacular, amazing or worthwhile.

And by the way, Flash Gordon, Kurosawa and Dune aren’t original either. They’re recycled too.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2022, 10:36 PM   #655
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Kurosawa's work was pretty effing original frankly
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2022, 05:24 AM   #656
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Star Wars stole more from Chinese wuxia, Legend of the Condor Heroes. There's even a character named QuiGon Jin (Guo Jin is the protagonist in Condor Heroes)

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:03 AM   #657
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally off-topic, but not only did Smith resign from the Academy in the last week or so, but also now the Oscars have banned him from attending the annual event for 10 years.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:57 PM   #658
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems reasonable. I've always thought of Smith as a fake guy to sell a brand. This showed me that with not only the slap but the swearing that came after, followed by the fake speech and the partying soon after. Anyway, nobody deserves to have their life ruined over such a move, so I do hope all can recover to work in their craft. 10 years seems like quite some time, and I think when all is said and done it's pretty harsh. I think it'll be reduced eventually.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 02:31 AM   #659
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Seems reasonable. I've always thought of Smith as a fake guy to sell a brand. This showed me that with not only the slap but the swearing that came after, followed by the fake speech and the partying soon after. Anyway, nobody deserves to have their life ruined over such a move, so I do hope all can recover to work in their craft. 10 years seems like quite some time, and I think when all is said and done it's pretty harsh. I think it'll be reduced eventually.
He just can't win fancy baubles for a while. His life is pretty much unaffected imo

If I slapped a guy like that in front of even 3 or 4 witnesses, pretty decent chance I get charged with assault, get a record... maybe even get sued. Smith lives by different rules because he's better than us
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post: