Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2022, 08:42 PM   #1
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Secrets of Playboy

I guess it will be interesting to see if this generates much discussion- but here goes.

Is anyone watching this at all? I watch bits and pieces when it is on, but I am not riveted to the tv weekly when it comes on.

Can’t really say I ever gave the general topic much thought, but the suggestion seems to be that Hef was a pig - which is likely not overly surprising given his industry.

The show seems to not have much in the way of balance in terms of people standing up for Hef and disputing some of the stories, but maybe I have missed that.

One episode they were talking about Don Cornelius and it seemed he treated women awfully.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:15 AM   #2
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People that have that much power over others are definitely going to abuse it no matter what their intentions were in the beginning. You feed an ego that much and it never turns out well.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:39 AM   #3
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I guess it will be interesting to see if this generates much discussion- but here goes.

Is anyone watching this at all? I watch bits and pieces when it is on, but I am not riveted to the tv weekly when it comes on.

Can’t really say I ever gave the general topic much thought, but the suggestion seems to be that Hef was a pig - which is likely not overly surprising given his industry.

The show seems to not have much in the way of balance in terms of people standing up for Hef and disputing some of the stories, but maybe I have missed that.

One episode they were talking about Don Cornelius and it seemed he treated women awfully.
I've watched 3 episodes, and I'm not sure I need the other 7.

For what, 50, 60 years the guy had an unending rotation and harem of "girlfriends" 40 years his junior? In any other circumstance that would have been seen as creepy, at best. Hef seemed to get by on an antiquated but nostalgic idea of masculinity and class that phased out in the late 70s, but he rode that legacy out to literal death.

It's little surprise the entire organization emulated his personal approach towards women.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:57 AM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What is this on?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:06 AM   #5
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

this show is on A&E.

I always found it odd that some of the women he dated were susters. You would have to be off a bit as a person to be hooking up with the same guy as your sister - nevermind, sharing him with a bunch of other ladies.....
Old 03-01-2022, 12:39 PM   #6
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that he had kids living when him as young children and then tried to put the moves on them when they turned 18 is pretty gross. To say the least
Old 03-01-2022, 12:50 PM   #7
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ did he really do that? that is grim......
Old 03-01-2022, 01:00 PM   #8
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They call it a Cold Woody Allen.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 04:28 PM   #9
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of young vulnerable women signing contracts that completely took away their rights to anything. If you made Playmate of the year you made $15,000 but they paid it out piecemeal over years and if you didn’t fulfill all your appearance and other obligations you didn’t get the money. The work was constant. Women had to be available at the whim of Playboy, many drugged and raped by “clients”. It’s overall really awful.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2022, 04:36 PM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The fact that he had kids living when him as young children and then tried to put the moves on them when they turned 18 is pretty gross. To say the least
*Shudder*

Damn thats greasy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 12:25 AM   #11
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, one of them is on the first or second episode. Hefner's doctor and his daughter Jennifer Saginor lived at the mansion from the time she was like six. Things got weird when she was of age, maybe before.

"It was a very incestuous environment," she stated. "There were no rules, there were no boundaries ... it was encouraged for everyone to kind of sleep together," she added.

Jennifer claimed in her recount that she was invited to Hef's bedroom one night alongside his then-girlfriend Kendall.

Last edited by dino7c; 03-02-2022 at 12:35 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:28 PM   #12
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tonight’s episode of Secrets of Playboy is about Bill Cosby. Really awful. These poor women! He is the worst disgusting scumbag.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:46 AM   #13
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ a prior episode also mentioned how Don Cornelius was also a violent man who assaulted some of the women with objects (as i recall it may have been a baseball bat)
Old 03-23-2022, 05:19 PM   #14
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geez every episode is more disturbing than the last.