Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Crazy Flamer
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Cellphone Question

Ok, So I had an older Blackberry 8330 that started to crap out on me. I went to Bell, my provider, and because I'm only 15 months into my contract they wouldnt give me any sort of credit towards a new phone. But the guy at the store suggested I could go online and search for a used one, so long as it was a Bell phone or was unlocked.

So I found an ad for a Blackberry Bold 9700. Reasonable price so I meet the guy selling it and buy the phone from him. Now I'm not well versed in cell phones, it looked exactly like the phone my friend has who is also on Bell so I thought I was golden.

I take it to the Bell store and he tells me its not a 9700 but a 9650. And even though its unlocked they can't put it on their network. Apparently the serial number starts with MEID but needs to start with IMEI.

Is he right? Will Rogers or Telus support this phone?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMEI is GSM/WCDMA/iDEM International Mobile Equipment Identity ("NEW" Network Tech in Canada)
MEID Mobile Equipment Identifier is CDMA (OLD network used buy Telus and Bell)

Your data pack uses IMEI to work where some countries still use MEID, however, if you call it in to Bell and add the MEID it MIGHT work on the old network and old pre-3G 12kb/s internet speed.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Flamer View Post
Ok, So I had an older Blackberry 8330 that started to crap out on me. I went to Bell, my provider, and because I'm only 15 months into my contract they wouldnt give me any sort of credit towards a new phone. But the guy at the store suggested I could go online and search for a used one, so long as it was a Bell phone or was unlocked.

So I found an ad for a Blackberry Bold 9700. Reasonable price so I meet the guy selling it and buy the phone from him. Now I'm not well versed in cell phones, it looked exactly like the phone my friend has who is also on Bell so I thought I was golden.

I take it to the Bell store and he tells me its not a 9700 but a 9650. And even though its unlocked they can't put it on their network. Apparently the serial number starts with MEID but needs to start with IMEI.

From what I googled, the 9650 is the CDMA version of the 9700. In this circumstance I'm not sure if you need a sim card. I'm with bell but I have the 9700 and had to buy a sim card. But all you need to do is sign online, and switch your phone there. It should work.

I read your post wrong. But if Bell supports it, Telus should too. I think they run off the same towers here. I'm fairly certain it wouldn't work on Rogers, Fido... or any GSM network.

Last edited by wooohooo; 04-16-2011 at 01:28 AM.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Flamer View Post

you might consider trading in your old one for a new one with a discount

https://tradeup.blackberry.com/en/ca/web/home.html
secol is offline   Reply With Quote