Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2024, 05:17 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Houston Rockets owner says he wants a NHL and WNBA team in Houston

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex...edium=referral

Quote:
For the second time in more than a month, Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta has stated his interest in bringing an NHL team to Houston.

Fertitta, in an interview Wednesday on CNBC’s “Power Lunch,” was asked about his pursuit of a hockey team as well as a WNBA franchise for Toyota Center.

“We would like to work to get an NHL team in Houston — I’m working on it,” Fertitta said.

Fertitta was asked about the WNBA, which has not had a team in Houston since the Comets' run from 1997 to 2008, in relation to the surge of interest in the NCAA women’s basketball tournament, whose championship game on ABC for the first time drew a bigger TV audience than the men’s final that aired on TBS.

“I would consider, definitely, I think it’s a great topic with women’s sports to talk about a WNBA team in Houston also,” Fertitta said.

In late February, Fertitta told Bloomberg that he viewed an NHL team and the 41 home games it would bring as a way to boost the downtown economy, saying “We are talking to the NHL, but it’s got to be good for both of us.” When he bought the Rockets in October 2017, Fertitta said he “would put an NHL team here tomorrow” but had said little publicly about hockey in the interim since before this year. He said he was open to bringing in an expansion franchise or relocating an existing one.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:21 PM   #2
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Start a bidding war for the Coyotes, lol.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:35 PM   #3
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They'll expand to 34 teams in no time. Even 36 is doable.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:39 PM   #4
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

He had taken the ice plant out of Toyota Center to put in a club area. But I know there have been funds set aside to put in a new one. I’m sure that could be done by next season.

If Fertitta is ready to write a cheque, the arena would be NHL ready day 1 of next season.

That said, the way women’s basketball is exploding right now, that may be a better business proposition in Houston. That’s not a $1.2 billion franchise fee.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 05:48 PM   #5
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friedman also reporting that more than one group in Houston is expressing interest. Which I find odd because there is only arena and Fertitta controls it.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:48 PM   #6
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Elliote Friedman is saying that there may be more than one Houston group interested. Maybe Fertitta is thinking competition may build their own arena?
Old 04-10-2024, 06:01 PM   #7
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I want to see pro hockey in Portland again -- just to resurrect the Buckaroos name. Best team name ever.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:30 PM   #8
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAreOne View Post
They'll expand to 34 teams in no time. Even 36 is doable.
Soon it'll be time to get excited about getting knocked out of the playoffs in a single game play-in to a 10th seed over a missed call or an "indistinct" kicking motion.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 06:38 PM   #9
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

In my opinion anyway, I think the talent in the NHL is watered down enough. Expansion will bump up salaries and further water down the product on the ice. It’ll be a league of checkers because that’s what the minors seem good at producing
442scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 07:36 PM   #10
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Friedman also reporting that more than one group in Houston is expressing interest. Which I find odd because there is only arena and Fertitta controls it.
Houston is a big enough city that it could likely get enough bookings for two major league arenas. With the new push for arena/stadium entertainment districts, I think we'll likely see a few groups come forward hoping to attach an NHL arena to a new big development (we've already seen it in Atlanta, and of course that's what they want to do in Arizona).

I suspect we'll have 36 teams in the league by the end of the decade. Assuming the Coyotes move to Utah: Houston, Atlanta, Arizona, San Diego... and a few dark horses could emerge. I believe Tulsa and Omaha are two names I've heard thrown around as wanting to get a major league team in whichever sport they can get and both already have arenas that can hold 17,000+ for hockey.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:54 PM   #11
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

And in a world worried about water the NHL will have plenty of watered down play.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:58 PM   #12
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Houston is a perfect expansion location.

It's a huge city with a lot of corporate presence and money, but it is also demographically diverse. The NHL has been trying to, and needs to keep expanding the demographic representation of their fanbase, and Houston seems like the perfect place to do that.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:40 PM   #13
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Houston is a big enough city that it could likely get enough bookings for two major league arenas. With the new push for arena/stadium entertainment districts, I think we'll likely see a few groups come forward hoping to attach an NHL arena to a new big development (we've already seen it in Atlanta, and of course that's what they want to do in Arizona).

I suspect we'll have 36 teams in the league by the end of the decade. Assuming the Coyotes move to Utah: Houston, Atlanta, Arizona, San Diego... and a few dark horses could emerge. I believe Tulsa and Omaha are two names I've heard thrown around as wanting to get a major league team in whichever sport they can get and both already have arenas that can hold 17,000+ for hockey.
Houston has a lot of event centers and concert venues. I don't agree that it needs another large arena. Toyota Center is still empty many nights. Good luck getting public money for a second arena in Harris County and IMO it would be foolish to privately fund a major arena project.

There are many event centers and outdoor concert venues in the suburbs but a hockey team in Houston suburbs would be instant death. The Woodlands is a huge affluent community but you're 40+ miles from half of the Houston metro population.

As for Fertitta, I doubt he would want a team here next year. NHL hockey will take some selling in Houston which is very diverse. I think you want to build some support over a couple of years at least.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:31 AM   #14
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Indianapolis will ever get a team
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:34 AM   #15
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Every round of expansion makes it that much harder for you to ever see your team win a Stanley Cup
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:43 AM   #16
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Every round of expansion makes it that much harder for you to ever see your team win a Stanley Cup
This probably needs to be said more.

Flames won the Cup in a 21 team league. NHL looks like it will soon be 34 teams.

At what point does the reduced odds of winning a championship result in apathy?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 08:46 AM   #17
Baaarrden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Some people continue to maintain the belief that the NHL could expand to 36 teams by around 2030. I feel like it's definitely a stretch but can you imagine having to battle though 4 expansion drafts in basically 5 years. Even just two back to back or over three years would be brutal.
Baaarrden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:06 AM   #18
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they add a team in the west, they should add Quebec city in the east.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:10 AM   #19
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
If they add a team in the west, they should add Quebec city in the east.
Quebec City offers little to the NHL and would be a UFA pariah. This desire to bring a team to that city really needs to end. It will not happen.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:18 AM   #20
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Maybe we'll get to relive the 70's with expansion and relocations every year.