Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 11:24 PM   #5621
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
So I took my dinner and ate outside because . . . disgusting.
I don't know how you managed to eat under those circumstances.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-30-2017, 11:41 PM   #5622
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I went over to my folks house for dinner, and my sister who has never followed hockey and my brother in law who says he doesn't follow hockey turned on the Oilers game tonight, and when the Oilers scored to tie it 3-3 my sister does this fist pump.

I guess my brother in law noticed my look of disgust and they're cheering for the Oilers because they want a Canadian team to win the cup.

I guess I had an even more visceral reaction because asked me why I'm not cheering for the Oilers with the Flames out and I responded that I would rather insert needles in my eyes then cheer for the team to the North.

They then asked if I was cheering for Ottawa and I told them that I basically want all of the Canadian teams out.

They then asked about the Leafs because they're a young team and so much fun to watch.

So I took my dinner and ate outside because . . . disgusting.
I have a cousin who claims to be a Ducks fan but yesterday told me she's cheering for the Oilers to win because in the playoffs she cheers for Canada. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Cheering for a team to win because they're Canadian is the stupidest and most annoying thing on the planet. Who gives a rats arse where the team is from? Do American fans cheer for the other American teams when their team is out? Probably not.

Fake patriotism at its finest.

Screw the other Canadian teams. I wish them nothing but suffering. Especially the Oilers.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:30 AM   #5623
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate to use the No True Scotsman fallacy, however there is an exception with the Oilers. No true Flames fan would ever cheer for Edmonton under any circumstance.

One of my greatest hockey fan memories was in Halifax in 2006 eating fried pepperoni and cheering hard for the Canes while surrounded by Oilers bandwagon locals who were cheering for the cup to come back to Canada. The Game 1 and Game 7 Oilers losses were especially awesome. I've never cheered that hard for a non Flames or Team Canada game in my life.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:46 AM   #5624
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I get a chuckle out of is Oil fans on my Facebook feed saying stuff like, 'Hey Talbot, make a ####ing save man'.
It's 3-0 Ducks without his superman impression so far.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 05:20 AM   #5625
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
What I get a chuckle out of is Oil fans on my Facebook feed saying stuff like, 'Hey Talbot, make a ####ing save man'.
It's 3-0 Ducks without his superman impression so far.
It's funny Talbot doesn't get any Hart consideration over Mcjesus. From the playoffs, it's pretty easy to see who their mvp is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #5626
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
It's funny Talbot doesn't get any Hart consideration over Mcjesus. From the playoffs, it's pretty easy to see who their mvp is.
Talbot has been their best player. Without him they aren't close to a playoff team. In the playoffs the ballot would probably be Talbot, Talbot, Talbot with an honorable mention to Talbot. They are playing the second round because of his play.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #5627
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think fans in other parts of the country the don't get to see them a lot realize how many times the Oilers have been outplayed and won games on the back of Talbot. If they had Elliott starting 70 games they would have been a part of the lottery draw Saturday night as average goaltending wouldn't cut it.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:59 AM   #5628
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forgive me if this has been discussed at length as I dont frequent this thread often. Anyway, is Gretzky doing some preliminary PR work for a front office position with the Oilers? His enthusiasm is a little unusual imo.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #5629
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Forgive me if this has been discussed at length as I dont frequent this thread often. Anyway, is Gretzky doing some preliminary PR work for a front office position with the Oilers? His enthusiasm is a little unusual imo.
He's vice chairman for Oilers Entertainment Group so he's already got the cushy office job with the team.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #5630
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Makes you wonder how much money he lost gambling to have to show his face in that stink hole again and pretend to be super stoked.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #5631
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
He's vice chairman for Oilers Entertainment Group so he's already got the cushy office job with the team.
Oh... oops. Im sure I knew that at one point. Thanks

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 05-01-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:09 AM   #5632
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ducks 6, Oilers 3, McDavid still no. 1

Despite that Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers failed to grab a 3-0 stranglehold in their playoff series against the Anaheim Ducks last night, falling 6-3, McDavid devotees were as flush as ever with adoration for the NHL's Millenial Dream. Having won an Edmonton-wide essay contest on "Why Connor McDavid is the best Oiler", on hand with guest press credentials was 18 year old McKayla Mackey, President of the Official Oilers Fan Club at Harry Ainlay School in Edmonton, Alberta."He wears 97 on his back, but we carry him as number one in our hearts," said Mackey.

Also coming to the aide of the Oilers' Top Gun following the game was McDavid's head coach, Todd McLellan. When asked if he thought he could get more out of McDavid (1g, 0a, 1pts, -2), McLellan was quick to provide the hoi polloi with the correct perspective:

"Hey you're talking about a guy who, at the age of 20, sold out Rogers Place 41 times during the regular season and four more and counting in his first playoffs. Garth Brooks toured for 28 years before selling it out nine times and getting his banner raised to the roof!" chided McLellan. But he did not stop there:

"I mean, how many times did Einstein write e=mc3 before getting it right? How many times did the Challenger explode before Lance Armstrong got to the moon? How many times did Oswald fire before finally clipping Kennedy?! Connor McDavid can't win the cup in a single game, damn it!" said the 49 year old McLellan.

The awkward silence that fell over the befuddled and aghast crowd in front of McLellan was thankfully broken by the timely arrival of the NHL's third overall all-time scorer, Mark Messier, who casually quipped with a wry grin, "I've been on hold for so long, I thought I should tell Connor, 'It's Mess!' in person," before exiting to deliver a pep talk to "Conny and the boys.”

Shortly thereafter the crowd fell into its second awkward moment, however, as it dawned on McLellan that the microphones were still live as he had been muttering, "stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid" while dejectedly banging his forehead with a clenched fist gripping the pair of matching orange and blue friendship bracelets he had been carrying around since last September. No relief for the crowd was to be had this time, though, as the ensuing silence was broken only by the sound of Mackey quietly repeating, "Missus McKayla Mackey-McDavid," to which the press corps - and everyone else - silently shuffled out.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #5633
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

"ThisIsAnOutrage, the world's largest publishers are on hold for you on lines 1 through 10."
Old 05-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #5634
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I've been racking my brain to come up with an easy anology to make the casual fan like that understand the rivalry because my in-laws are the same. The casual fan just doesn't get it and I find it just isn't worth the energy to explain.
I find it funny, but I kind of understand, in my line of work I do find a lot of people profess to be 'Flames and Oilers fans because they're both Alberta teams.'

I tend to find that attitude more prevalent among sales people because they dont want to 'offend anyone.'

I dont get that. I'm not going to not buy something from you because you cheer for a different sports team than me! Its sports! Its supposed to be fun!

If you think my team is complete dogcrap because you cheer for a rival team then say so!

English Soccer fans are the best and the worst for this because theres no middle ground, you're either okay with a competing team doing well or you want to shiv their star player in the liver. No middle ground.

Its hard for me to desire for Edmonton to be as bad as possible because they've done that for 10 years and still somehow managed to slither out the other side of that dung heap and appear clean as a whistle.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #5635
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've been racking my brain to come up with an easy anology to make the casual fan like that understand the rivalry because my in-laws are the same. The casual fan just doesn't get it and I find it just isn't worth the energy to explain.
Easiest is: do you cheer for your biggest corporate rival to win more business instead of you?

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
Old 05-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #5636
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is if the person in question is into elimination-type reality shows, that they HAVE to cheer for the Canadians over everyone else, no matter how big of a tool that person is. Bachelorette, you gotta pull for the Canadian contestants over everyone, no question. Because if you don't, you're petty and not a supportive Canadian.

...but even that doesn't factor in rivalries and whatnot. There really is no true comparison, which is why I usually just shake my head, sigh, and say "you don't get it".

Last edited by Sainters7; 05-01-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #5637
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been toying with the idea of going political. They are old staunch conservatives so I am thinking of taking the angle if in the bye election do you vote with your allegiance or do you vote for the party with the majority because they have the majority. Somehow if I can convince them the Oilers are some left wing equivalent of hockey, then I think I will be able to make them see the light.

Anyways, I digress. Oilers are no good.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #5638
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've been toying with the idea of going political. They are old staunch conservatives so I am thinking of taking the angle if in the bye election do you vote with your allegiance or do you vote for the party with the majority because they have the majority. Somehow if I can convince them the Oilers are some left wing equivalent of hockey, then I think I will be able to make them see the light.

Anyways, I digress. Oilers are no good.
The reason they got McNDP was the rich helping out the poor because they couldn't pull themselves up by their bootstraps.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:07 PM   #5639
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Oilers need to be eliminated soon for my mental sanity. It should not matter but it does. Avoiding sports radio/tv/internet helps but it's still an issue. I have tuned in a few obnoxious Oilers fans in public lately in front of my family... tribalism at its worst...
Old 05-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #5640
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

[tongue in cheek because E=NG]

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT

Last edited by Fozzie_DeBear; 05-02-2017 at 01:13 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread