Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #3601
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I'm pretty excited about watching the Oilers get stomped in the 1st round. Regardless of who they play, the opposition will all have the same game-plan:

- Crash the net/Talbot

Talbot will have never experienced so many guys "accidentally" falling on top of him. The opposition will dig at Talbot at every whistle with the intent of causing a scrum, so that when pushed by a defending Oiler, they can fall on top of Talbot. The opposition will cut towards the net like never before, daring the defending Oiler to knock them off balance so that they can slide into Talbot at full speed.

I am still floored that Chiarelli never acquired a back-up at the deadline. Bishop could've been had for next to nothing.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #3602
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Yeah, you're right, it would have to be a pretty big collapse, but I'd be more concerned about the Blues catching the Oilers than the Kings for a wildcard spot, especially when you look at the easy schedule remaining for the Blues.
For the Oilers to miss, both St. Louis and LA would have to make it.

Unless LA goes lights out down the stretch, I don't see it happening sadly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #3603
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
For the Oilers to miss, both St. Louis and LA would have to make it.

Unless LA goes lights out down the stretch, I don't see it happening sadly.
Ugh, yeah I need another coffee to wake up this morning.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #3604
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I'm pretty excited about watching the Oilers get stomped in the 1st round. Regardless of who they play, the opposition will all have the same game-plan:

- Crash the net/Talbot

Talbot will have never experienced so many guys "accidentally" falling on top of him. The opposition will dig at Talbot at every whistle with the intent of causing a scrum, so that when pushed by a defending Oiler, they can fall on top of Talbot. The opposition will cut towards the net like never before, daring the defending Oiler to knock them off balance so that they can slide into Talbot at full speed.

I am still floored that Chiarelli never acquired a back-up at the deadline. Bishop could've been had for next to nothing.
Such an obvious hole in the lineup, and potential solutions were available.

When your team has been out of the playoffs for 10 years - and historically awful in the process - and you are finally in, you owe it to the fans to put a little effort into it at teh deadline.

That was a huge fail IMO, and frankly, I am shocked that Oiler fans aren't livid.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #3605
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the Oilers have given themselves a good cushion. It is a bit of a hailmary for the Kings to catch them. It would definitely take LA sweeping the 3 games against them. If they do that and win their game in hand suddenly they close the gap to 2 points with each team having 13 games remaining. If wins are in regulation I believe the Kings would then be up on ROW. 13 isn't impossible to make up the 2 points.

Pretty big stretch of games here as both teams play 5 home games before they are set to play their first of three meetings. If the losing streak becomes multiple games it will make things interesting it LA gets on a roll.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #3606
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

You just know that when the playoffs start, and the Oilers are actually in it, we will be bombarded with images from their past glory years, have a huge gathering of Oilers alumni talking about their past triumphs, and how that team is poised to become the next dynasty.

I am already feeling sick.

Still hoping for an epic meltdown down the stretch. If anyone can do it, it is the Oilers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #3607
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
You just know that when the playoffs start, and the Oilers are actually in it, we will be bombarded with images from their past glory years, have a huge gathering of Oilers alumni talking about their past triumphs, and how that team is poised to become the next dynasty.

I am already feeling sick.

Still hoping for an epic meltdown down the stretch. If anyone can do it, it is the Oilers.
I hope they have a ceremony, and trot out all of the old boys.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #3608
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I hope they have a ceremony, and trot out all of the old boys.
I assume they'll do that on a random Tuesday game in March anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #3609
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
At times this season you wouldn't know that Gaudreau still played in the league if it weren't for events like the All Star game. You'd think McDavid was the only talent in this end of the country.

I don't think Johnny cares though. I'd prefer that McDavid stays under the microscope for the inevitable future times when he will experience adversity (playoffs?). It'll just frustrate him even more to be hounded before/after each and every game. His career has been a breeze to this point but that won't always been the case. That's when players would probably rather not by under the spotlight.
Johnny has 13 goals and 44 points this year. There's not a whole lot of positive for the national media to focus in on there.

To your second point, at least he's not getting bombarded with negative press during his slump besides that one joke of writer who I will not give the respect of naming.

Win tomorrow and we can laugh at those tw**s. God I hope they win.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #3610
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

They'll have another ceremony early on next season to commemorate the opening of their new building, and to also reminisce about the Northlands.

Never has an organization gone to such great lengths to pat itself on the back.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #3611
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glanced at the PGT on HFOil last night. Flames are definitely in the head of Oilers fans. They are worried about us overtaking them in the standings
Old 03-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #3612
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The oilers are one minor injury from being out. Similar to the Flames during the Kipper/Iggy era.

That being said, I'm praying for BOA this playoffs. The discussion on here alone would be incredible.

In fact, I'm really curious who we match up with the McDive line. Backlund line probably, and Brodie/Stone? Or Gio/Dougie?

Actually wouldn't mind seeing the Brodano pairing at times. Gah, just want playoffs, the regular season is way too long
Old 03-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #3613
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
The oilers are one minor injury from being out. Similar to the Flames during the Kipper/Iggy era.

That being said, I'm praying for BOA this playoffs. The discussion on here alone would be incredible.

In fact, I'm really curious who we match up with the McDive line. Backlund line probably, and Brodie/Stone? Or Gio/Dougie?

Actually wouldn't mind seeing the Brodano pairing at times. Gah, just want playoffs, the regular season is way too long
3M line and the Gio-Hamilton pairing will be matched up against the McDavid line every chance Gulutzan gets. That 5 man unit is one of the strongest possession drivers in the league.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #3614
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

If a team was to catch fire down the stretch, it would be LA.
Also, if a team was to fail down the stretch it would be the Oilers.

I wouldn't think this is a stretch if it were to happen where LA makes the playoffs over EDM.

I'm just waiting for the jersey tossing to commence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #3615
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Duplicate
Old 03-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #3616
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

The risk the Oilers have is they are going to be leaning too much on McDavid during these last 16 games with the risk being they either start to burn him out ( similar with Talbot).

The benefit the Flames have is they have a more balanced scoring attack with solid contributions from two lines and also some support from the 3rd and 4th lines. Flames have a more balanced goalie situation, and better goal production from the d- core as well. It is not a case of relying on Johnny to get us to the promised land.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #3617
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
The risk the Oilers have is they are going to be leaning too much on McDavid during these last 16 games with the risk being they either start to burn him out ( similar with Talbot).

The benefit the Flames have is they have a more balanced scoring attack with solid contributions from two lines and also some support from the 3rd and 4th lines. Flames have a more balanced goalie situation, and better goal production from the d- core as well. It is not a case of relying on Johnny to get us to the promised land.
This.

Someone mentioned in another thread that the Oilers should have gotten a backup at the deadline, which I completely agree with.

But the best thing is that, now that it is essentially a 3 way tie between EDM, ANA and CAL in the standings, the Oilers will not have the ability to rest McDavid and Talbot down the stretch.

THe only chance the Oilers have of finishing 2nd or 3rd is to continue to ride their two horses for all they're worth.

And that is the worst case scenario for their playoff hopes.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:32 AM   #3618
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
If a team was to catch fire down the stretch, it would be LA.
Also, if a team was to fail down the stretch it would be the Oilers.

I wouldn't think this is a stretch if it were to happen where LA makes the playoffs over EDM.

I'm just waiting for the jersey tossing to commence.
The Edmonton magic number over LA is 9, which means the Oilers would have to lose all but four or five games and LA would have to win all but 3 or 4 for Edmonton to miss. It really is almost impossible, unfortunately.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #3619
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
The Edmonton magic number over LA is 9, which means the Oilers would have to lose all but four or five games and LA would have to win all but 3 or 4 for Edmonton to miss. It really is almost impossible, unfortunately.
But you're saying there's a chance?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #3620
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
Not to mention that 3 of the Kings game would be against Calgary. The only way for the Oilers to be caught by the Kings, is for the Flames to sputter out themselves and somehow still be ahead of the Oilers.
Closed Thread