Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #61
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man, if Lindros' head wasn't made of Eggshells he could have been one of the best ever. Tier one material if you ask me. And I hated the guy. But he was one unstoppable force in his prime. I would honestly take healthy Lindros over Crosby. And that's no slight on Crosby mind you.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #62
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Oh man, if Lindros' head wasn't made of Eggshells he could have been one of the best ever. Tier one material if you ask me. And I hated the guy. But he was one unstoppable force in his prime. I would honestly take healthy Lindros over Crosby. And that's no slight on Crosby mind you.
If that includes Lindros without the massive ego issues, then I'd probably agree with you. Certain players absolutely hated the guy since he always demanded the puck, and had major issues with players that didn't give him the puck all the time. The guy was an absolute dick to deal with, and that's not including his parents and agents.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #63
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
If that includes Lindros without the massive ego issues, then I'd probably agree with you. Certain players absolutely hated the guy since he always demanded the puck, and had major issues with players that didn't give him the puck all the time. The guy was an absolute dick to deal with, and that's not including his parents and agents.
Like I said, I hated the guy for all he was. But I cannot deny that fact he was an absolute beast in his healthy prime.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #64
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a fan of player vs. player debates. There is too many factors that make it impossible to judge using stats. It's tough enough when you take 2 players from the same era (say Iginla & Alfredsson) because of the teams they played for and the systems employed by the coaches. But when you make that comparison cross different eras it makes it nearly impossible. And that is without considering they were their style of game is completely different.

Even comparing them to the rest of the league while they played is difficult because while Iginla was the best goal scorer over a decade, Sakic played in an era with Gretzky, Lemieux and a healthy Lindros.

That said I think had they played their careers over the same time period I think Sakic would have been considered the better overall player with Iginla being considered the better goal scorer.

IMO the only real comparison is the fact both were great leaders and class acts.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #65
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
I don't see Nieuwendyk as being in the same class as Sakic, not really close, actually.

I see it like this...

Top Tier - Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, etc

2nd Tier - Sakic, Yzerman, Bourque, etc

3rd Tier - Iginla, Pronger, Shanahan, etc

For some reason, I love making lists like this. It gets interesting... For example, does Messier make that Top Tier? ... Is Ron Francis clearly in that 2nd Tier? ... And Brett Hull? ... Do you put Lindros in that tier, or does his shorten career keep him with Iginla and Co.? ... Same with Cam Neely?!?

I see Niewendyk being in a 4th tier with players like Lafontaine, Hawerchuk...maybe even Gilmour (though he might be one tier up)

Now this is where the team you play on is a factor. If Hawerchuk was on a winning club he would be second tier no problem. At one time he was the second best player next to Wayne but you have him 3rd tier with Gilmour and Lafontaine??
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #66
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you look at Iggys dead puck era peers in terms of goal scoring the comparables are Hossa. Thats the end of list.

He was the best goal scorer of his era. Sakic and Selanie being before him and the 03 draft stars after him.

Was he better than Sakic, no but he is in the top 5 wingers of all time maybe top 3. Its difficult to compare them to the elite centers as they all made players around them better wheras the wingers generally dont.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #67
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If you look at Iggys dead puck era peers in terms of goal scoring the comparables are Hossa. Thats the end of list.

He was the best goal scorer of his era. Sakic and Selanie being before him and the 03 draft stars after him.

Was he better than Sakic, no but he is in the top 5 wingers of all time maybe top 3. Its difficult to compare them to the elite centers as they all made players around them better wheras the wingers generally dont.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you actually saying Iggy's in the top 5-3 wingers of all-time? I like Iggy, but no way in hell is he there. top 30 maybe.
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to $ven27 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #68
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you actually saying Iggy's in the top 5-3 wingers of all-time? I like Iggy, but no way in hell is he there. top 30 maybe.
Yes I am saying top 5 winger all time, for sure top 10. Top 3 was an exageration.

For sure better
Howe
Richard
Jagr
Kurri

Comparables
Bossy
Lafleur
Robataile
Hull
Shanahan
Selannie

Last edited by GGG; 05-19-2013 at 09:46 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #69
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Agree to disagree, top 30 maybe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to $ven27 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #70
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So then the Flames ...... one of 30 NHL franchises.. and one of the 19th teams in the post expansion era to win a SC.. have no players in the top 30?

Is Iginla the top Flame forward? If not then who? Nieuwendyck, Mullen, Gilmour, Fluery McDonald?

List of players that played for the Flames that are in the HOF Brackets are teams that I primarily associate them with

Grant Fuhr (Edmonton)
Doug Gilmour (Toronto)
Brett Andrew Hull (St. L)
Al MacInnis (St. L)
Lanny King McDonald (Tor or Calgary)
Joseph Mullen (Calgary)
Joe Nieuwendyk (Dallas or Calgary)
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #71
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I am saying top 5 winger all time, for sure top 10. Top 3 was an exageration.

For sure better
Howe
Richard
Jagr
Kurri

Comparables
Bossy
Lafleur
Robataile
Hull
Shanahan
Selannie
LOL Mike Bossy a comparable. This thread should be closed because it's getting a little embarrassing. I just hope that fans of other teams aren't looking at this for the sake of making us all look bad because some fans here are simply are too young or simply drank too much Iginla kool-aid.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #72
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

For sure better
Howe
Richard
Jagr
Kurri

Comparables
Bossy
Lafleur
Robataile
Hull
Shanahan
Selannie
Hahaha. For sure better then Jagr? Kurri? Richard?! Not even going to go there with your comparable list because Iggy isn't as good as any of those guys except maybe Shanahan. Iggy is a top 30-40 winger, not top ten.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #73
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hahaha. For sure better then Jagr? Kurri? Richard?! Not even going to go there with your comparable list because Iggy isn't as good as any of those guys except maybe Shanahan. Iggy is a top 30-40 winger, not top ten.
Take a deep breath and read it again...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #74
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
LOL Mike Bossy a comparable. This thread should be closed because it's getting a little embarrassing. I just hope that fans of other teams aren't looking at this for the sake of making us all look bad because some fans here are simply are too young or simply drank too much Iginla kool-aid.
Was Mike Bossy ever considered the best in the game?

There was a brief window (albeit very, very brief) where many people considered Iginla to be the best hockey player in the world...that goes a LONG way when considering lists like this, IMO.

I have no issue with Iginla being mentioned along side Bossy, Selanne, Hull and the like...I'm not saying he's necessarily ABOVE them on the list, but he's right there if we're comparing everyone on their prime.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #75
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yes.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #76
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There was a brief window (albeit very, very brief) where many people considered Iginla to be the best hockey player in the world...that goes a LONG way when considering lists like this, IMO.

I have no issue with Iginla being mentioned along side Bossy, Selanne, Hull and the like...I'm not saying he's necessarily ABOVE them on the list, but he's right there if we're comparing everyone on their prime.
He was considered, at the time, possibly the best goal scorer of all time - along with Rocket Richard.

Edit: can't believe I forgot Bobby Hull.

Last edited by Enoch Root; 05-20-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #77
GoIggy
Farm Team Player

Exp:

As someone who is not a Flames fan and never really even thought or heard about this debate I'd take Iggy. Forsberg, when healthy, is the best of the 3 quite easily though imo
Old 05-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #78
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Yes.
Bossy was not even considered the best hockey player on his line. He would have been the 3rd most important player on his team behind Trottier and Potvin.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #79
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For sure better
Howe
Richard
Jagr
Kurri

Comparables
Bossy
Lafleur
Robataile
Hull
Shanahan
Selannie

Kurri and Jagr were side kicks.... they never-ever carried a team or were the face of a team.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #80
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Bossy was not even considered the best hockey player on his line. He would have been the 3rd most important player on his team behind Trottier and Potvin.
Sigh.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: