Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #141
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I can't tell for sure, but it looked to me like Matthew was the first player off the bench to jump on to Gio after the O/T winner. The kid wants to win.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #142
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I'm a bit confused on why you got offended by my post. Many people make assumptions off just watching highlight compilations. Which is why I said it is what it is and people will continue doing so. Before I watched the OHL and then memorial cup playoffs I thought similar things other posters thought about Tkachuk. I thought he had a productive WJC but I didn't watch him every shift. From watching him play shift by shift in junior you could see why he was rated so highly and why he's been so good in the NHL. Don't really get why you attacked my post but some people like arguing for the sake of arguing
I'm not offended by your post. I'm just stating there would be a lot less arguing if people actually did a little bit of due diligence as opposed to spewing bs all over this board.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #143
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Some things I've noticed about Matthew Tkachuk that I've been pleasantly surprised with is how strong he is on the puck against NHL defensemen and his ability to use his body to protect the puck. He's a real handful down low, he makes sneaky good plays along the boards and has really soft hands for a player with as much grit as he does.

My favorite attribute about his game though is his hockey IQ. He's always in the right spot and his poise and patience to be able to hold on to the puck and wait for openings or plays to develop is rare to see for such a young player.

As for the comparisons to Sam Bennett. I think Bennett has to work really hard on his strength and speed over the summer. He's not fast enough to play a finesse game that he wants nor does he have the strength to play a gritty offensive game that Tkachuk does. He doesn't have the same hockey IQ as Matthew either, so plays don't just come to him easily.

I'd just like to see him win puck battles and not take so many stick penalties trying to do so. He's shown flashes of brilliance and is competitive as heck, but man, he's just too raw in so many aspects of his game and it might be a while before he really becomes a true difference maker for us.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #144
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

But how many chin-ups did Tkachuk do? That is the true measure of a man.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #145
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm a bit confused on why you got offended by my post. Many people make assumptions off just watching highlight compilations. Which is why I said it is what it is and people will continue doing so. Before I watched the OHL playoffs and then memorial cup I thought similar things other posters thought about Tkachuk. I thought he had a productive WJC but I didn't watch him every shift and that his high production could be from playing with some great players. From watching him play shift by shift during Londons playoff run you could see why he was rated so highly and why he's been so good in the NHL. I'm still not gonna fault people who thought he was a product of his linemates because it was a legitimate worry. Don't really get why you attacked my post but some people like arguing for the sake of arguing. This is all 20/20 hindsight and sometimes people's opinions get proven incorrect, it's still unfair to get mad at someone for giving their opinion. I'm sure most people here have said something about a player which would be proven wrong, it's pretty pointless to go back and see what people were saying and then use it to shame them. Everything is in hindsight and making fun of people who thought something different before he played in the NHL is not fair. He's proved people wrong and we are all happy he is thriving. No need to embarrass
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
I'm not offended by your post. I'm just stating there would be a lot less arguing if people actually did a little bit of due diligence as opposed to spewing bs all over this board.

Well I agree people need to watch prospects play shift by shift before making a legitamate claim about them, sometimes people just are wrong even after doing so. Bringing in posts before the draft was a low blow as everyone gets prospects wrong and it's unfair to shame people who are probably quite happy with how Tkachuk is looking. That was my issue with it. We are all on the same team here, sometimes people get it wrong. I thought Bennett was gonna have a 50pt season and stated that here multiple times in the preseason. We all get stuff wrong.

Last edited by Beninho; 02-22-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #146
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I can't tell for sure, but it looked to me like Matthew was the first player off the bench to jump on to Gio after the O/T winner. The kid wants to win.
Noticed this too, he also usually looks the most pissed after a loss in the post game interviews. Love having him on our side, compete level is through the roof.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #147
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
My favorite attribute about his game though is his hockey IQ. He's always in the right spot and his poise and patience to be able to hold on to the puck and wait for openings or plays to develop is rare to see for such a young player.

I'd just like to see him win puck battles and not take so many stick penalties trying to do so. He's shown flashes of brilliance and is competitive as heck, but man, he's just too raw in so many aspects of his game and it might be a while before he really becomes a true difference maker for us.
Agreed... i think Tkachuk, with the benefit of being around elite hockey his entire life, is a student of the game... i remember that 'lack of elite skating' was one of the things pointed out... but with high hockey IQ, i think his anticipation makes up for his skating - which is still very good (it would have to be to be considered a top 5 pick).

With Bennett, still holding out hope that he can evolve into an elite player. I see him as being good right now, but a little streaky and not consistent through all phases of the game.... Originally, I saw his ceiling as being a Mike Peca type... an agitator who isn't afraid to hit and could also score 20-25 goals.

I think that's still in front of him... just needs to keep working on things and he'll get there, albeit a little slower than thought... It took Backlund a bit of time to find his game too and he's really one of the cornerstones of the franchise imho
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #148
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Loved watching him not take crap from Subban last nite
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #149
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Agreed... i think Tkachuk, with the benefit of being around elite hockey his entire life, is a student of the game... i remember that 'lack of elite skating' was one of the things pointed out... but with high hockey IQ, i think his anticipation makes up for his skating - which is still very good (it would have to be to be considered a top 5 pick).

With Bennett, still holding out hope that he can evolve into an elite player. I see him as being good right now, but a little streaky and not consistent through all phases of the game.... Originally, I saw his ceiling as being a Mike Peca type... an agitator who isn't afraid to hit and could also score 20-25 goals.

I think that's still in front of him... just needs to keep working on things and he'll get there, albeit a little slower than thought... It took Backlund a bit of time to find his game too and he's really one of the cornerstones of the franchise imho
I expect more than a Mike Peca with the highest pick in franchise history. It's been a tough year for Bennett and would've been a lot tougher for us fans if Tkachuk wasn't doin so well. At least for me that is. I had very high expectations for Bennett after we drafted him so maybe this is my fault. I still have high expectations for him but it would be great to see some signs of his high potential. He's invisible many nights, which tells me that something is off. The Flames really got to get him going, if that means moving him the wing so be it.

Last edited by Beninho; 02-22-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #150
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
As for the comparisons to Sam Bennett. I think Bennett has to work really hard on his strength and speed over the summer. He's not fast enough to play a finesse game that he wants nor does he have the strength to play a gritty offensive game that Tkachuk does. He doesn't have the same hockey IQ as Matthew either, so plays don't just come to him easily.

I think Bennett's job as a centre is quite a lot more difficult than Tkachuk's, and if you put Bennett on the wing I think they look like very similar players. The added responsibilities as a pivot mean you rarely see Bennett down in the mucky corners where his game is best suited. I much prefer Bennett's game on the wing than at centre, and I've often said so, but I can understand why the team is persisting on developing him at centre.

The quick fix to get the most out of Bennett in the short term is to move him to the wing, but if the team perseveres and allows him to grow into his role as a centre then he could become real force to be reckoned with and an invaluable commodity. Only downside is that it could take quite a long time for him to reach his full potential playing that position.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #151
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I expect more than a Mike Peca with the highest pick in franchise history. It's been a tough year for Bennett and would've been a lot tougher for us fans if Tkachuk wasn't doin so well. At least for me that is.
well, expectations versus what you actually are getting is to be determined.

I think many had used a Doug Gilmour as an NHL comparable... someone that could be a reliable two way centerman but could also score.

Personally, i don't see that happening, though you never know.

I am a big Peca fan, so that example was actually meant as a positive... Peca was pound for pound one of the toughest guys in the NHL at his prime... Maybe Sam while put up more Bergeron type numbers (as opposed to Peca) with more of an edge to his game.... but i don't see him being a point per game player in today's NHL. If he gets into the 55 point range but with an edge, i'd take that
Old 02-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #152
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tkachuk has 1 point less than Taylor Hall, 2 less than Saad, and the same as Forsberg, Hoffman, and Skinner.

Not bad for a 19 year old.
Bourque's Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #153
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
well, expectations versus what you actually are getting is to be determined.

I think many had used a Doug Gilmour as an NHL comparable... someone that could be a reliable two way centerman but could also score.

Personally, i don't see that happening, though you never know.

I am a big Peca fan, so that example was actually meant as a positive... Peca was pound for pound one of the toughest guys in the NHL at his prime... Maybe Sam while put up more Bergeron type numbers (as opposed to Peca) with more of an edge to his game.... but i don't see him being a point per game player in today's NHL. If he gets into the 55 point range but with an edge, i'd take that
Fair enough, I think we all can agree it sucks watching him struggle but hopefully he can end the season well. Even if it means moving him to the wing, ending his season on a good note would be good for him. Would love to see Bennett get a long look with Tkachuk next season, even with the penalties.

Last edited by Beninho; 02-22-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #154
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am really impressed that he doesn't whine about missed or non calls. He tends to glance at the refs to see if a call was made then skates away like "whatevs"
He holds his own for only being 19.
How many penalties would we take or draw if Versteeg played on his line. They're both ___ disturbers.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #155
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree that people make a lot of assumptions about young players without watching them nearly enough but It is what it is. Most people don't have time to watch an entire junior game so people just watch highlight compilations and you don't really see the greatness of Tkachuk by just watching those. Making this a discussion about how posters got him wrong is pointless and happens every year, we are all happy he is thriving and should leave it at that.

He made a good point as "some" posters tend to be over the top when they really don't know what the scouts are seeing. His point that we need to have a little more patience especially when it comes to young 16, 17 year olds is fair based on how outlandish some comments were. Some of us often make statements as though they were fact; Tkachuk progress shows us we shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #156
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, I think we all can agree it sucks watching him struggle but hopefully he can end the season well. Even if it means moving him to the wing, ending his season on a good note would be good for him.
oh for sure... kid is still, well a kid really... so i think we just need to be patient.

a guy like backlund took a while to come around, but he's played great now...
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #157
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
He made a good point as "some" posters tend to be over the top when they really don't know what the scouts are seeing. His point that we need to have a little more patience especially when it comes to young 16, 17 year olds is fair based on how outlandish some comments were. Some of us often make statements as though they were fact; Tkachuk progress shows us we shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch.
I guess that's fair and true, just didn't like him quoting people like he was trying to shame them for not being pro-Tkachuk. I enjoy reading other opinions on players and especially prospects even if these opinions turn out to be wrong. I don't want posts like the one being discussed to detour people from giving their honest opinions.

Last edited by Beninho; 02-22-2017 at 05:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #158
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

His attitude is awesome. He just doesn't get phased by anything. Couldn't be happier to have him on the team.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #159
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Well I agree people need to watch prospects play shift by shift before making a legitamate claim about them, sometimes people just are wrong even after doing so. Bringing in posts before the draft was a low blow as everyone gets prospects wrong and it's unfair to shame people who are probably quite happy with how Tkachuk is looking. That was my issue with it. We are all on the same team here, sometimes people get it wrong. I thought Bennett was gonna have a 50pt season and stated that here multiple times in the preseason. We all get stuff wrong.
The way I see it, if you're going to say a bunch of stuff about a player, are way off base and get called on it later, be a man and eat your crow.

If you can't handle that, don't post your opinion.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 06:48 PM   #160
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Loved watching him not take crap from Subban last nite
It seems like that is the attitude of most rookies nowadays. You look at Laine, Matthews..all the rookies this year. They don't back down to anyone. Personally I love it, but I could some Don Cherry types thinking it shows a lack of respect or some garbage.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote