Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #1781
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Calgaryblood might actually go through less cables as a result.
Haha I was thinking the exact same thing.

I am waiting on this phone as I have a 7 plus and I’m more than happy with it. With the rumours of them trying to get the finger print scanner behind the screen I still think that is the end game so I’m gonna wait this version out and see if it comes back.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #1782
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

So the new iPhone X will cost more than a MacBook Air laptop?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #1783
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Apple's method of taking in loads of different face angles, much like when you have to position your finger around the sensor to set up Touch ID, makes a lot more sense, and Apple is predictably claiming that this is one of the most secure forms of this technology out there.

We've not been able to try it out in the demo area, but this is certainly something we want to test to see if it's a worthy replacement for Touch ID.

The demo we were shown was a little worrying, though. In the demo on stage the first phone failed, and when it was shown to us the person linked to the phone kept having to to turn the display off and on again to activate the system.

When held at the right distance, it worked well and quickly, but we saw plenty of missed unlocks in our time with the phone. Apparently it'll learn your face as time goes on, but this is something we really need to test out to make sure it's easy to get into your phone.
Doesn't sound like Apple was letting journalists setup Face ID & test for themselves during the hands on portion. Phones were only being unlocked by Apple employees. Could be questionable how effective Face ID is under different circumstances, will be interesting to see the reviews once released.

Also the notch cutout for landscape gaming & video watching doesn't seem ideal. It also would have been nice if it was true edge-to-edge with no bezel.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #1784
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, ouch for the Canadian pricing.

Not much difference between the 7 and the 8 except the processor and wireless charging. Was hoping they might improve the camera to more of the 7+ version.

How long until the wireless providers update their pages with the plans?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #1785
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
So the new iPhone X will cost more than a MacBook Air laptop?
The top iPhone has been crazy expensive for awhile. I paid $1500 for my 128G 6S Plus two years ago. I just priced a 256GB X and it'll be $1866.90. That's creeping up on Macbook Pro territory. The biggest hit is Applecare now being $250.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #1786
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah the Canadian pricing is $100 or $130 more than straight conversion, that's a lot.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #1787
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The top iPhone has been crazy expensive for awhile. I paid $1500 for my 128G 6S Plus two years ago. I just priced a 256GB X and it'll be $1866.90. That's creeping up on Macbook Pro territory. The biggest hit is Applecare now being $250.
Add in AirPods and the fancy case and you're over $2k.

The iPhone SE looks like a cracking good bargain now.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #1788
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah the Canadian pricing is $100 or $130 more than straight conversion, that's a lot.
Depends what you use for a conversion though. At a straight conversion it's $75, bank conversion is $54. Isn't worth it for me to go to the states for $54.
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #1789
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The best thing about the keynote is that they'll be upgrading movies you've purchased to 4K HDR for free.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #1790
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Add in AirPods and the fancy case and you're over $2k.

The iPhone SE looks like a cracking good bargain now.
I love my SE, and it's a crazy good price. I was planning on upgrading this generation, but admittedly I'm a bit underwhelmed by the 8. I might wait another year.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #1791
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably some 6s's and 7's will start flooding the market when the phones are released. Depending on what Rogers is doing for plans for the 8, maybe just get a 7 or something.

I think the big turn off for me about the X is the unlock. I can't say for sure, but it doesn't quite look finished yet, and not sure about whether I want to unlock the phone that way. It seems like something that could be finicky, and we haven't gone through a winter yet to figure out if our -30 deg C frosted lens, neck warmer, ski goggles, etc are going to cause problems. I guess the passcode stays, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the biometrics.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #1792
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Probably some 6s's and 7's will start flooding the market when the phones are released. Depending on what Rogers is doing for plans for the 8, maybe just get a 7 or something.

I think the big turn off for me about the X is the unlock. I can't say for sure, but it doesn't quite look finished yet, and not sure about whether I want to unlock the phone that way. It seems like something that could be finicky, and we haven't gone through a winter yet to figure out if our -30 deg C frosted lens, neck warmer, ski goggles, etc are going to cause problems. I guess the passcode stays, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the biometrics.
I would guess Apple has done a good job of this. I could unlock either my S3 or S5 like that (can't remember which, it was a few years ago) and it worked amazingly well. The reason I disabled it was it couldn't unlock in the dark like when you are laying in bed. Surely apple has solved that issue otherwise this feature would be laughably useless and I just don't see them releasing something like that.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #1793
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

If the rumors are to believed, this was plan B for Apple. They originally wanted to put Touch ID under the screen but the technical challenges were to big a hurdle to get over before the launch date.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #1794
photon

Exp:

Apple tends to do things later than others as well partly to let others work out the bugs and problems, their fingerprint sensor was better than any other one I'd used to that point. It wouldn't surprise me if the FaceID was similar. That they're using infrared and dot projectors means it should work even in pitch dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atb View Post
Also the notch cutout for landscape gaming & video watching doesn't seem ideal. It also would have been nice if it was true edge-to-edge with no bezel.
The phone is actually wider than 16:9, so the notch won't impact video watching, that part would have been black anyway.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #1795
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any idea how much the SE will cost? Personally, I'm underwhelmed by the iPhone announcement considering Samsung has more or less a better display (true edge to edge). So their key selling point on this phone was a security feature? And we're paying a premium for that on something that we take for granted (as we probably should on a phone)?

Great that it can unlock in the dark, but this doesn't add anything to the user experience that wasn't there before. Great sell job with the great dot graphic though.

Moving emoji's? Couldn't care less.

Wireless charging? Done by Samsung a year ago.

Aluminum side and glass back? This I like, but I'm not paying a premium for aesthetic.

Seems like an incremental upgrade without that really big wow factor that the Steve Jobs era had.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #1796
photon

Exp:

Every phone is an incremental upgrade, no one revolutionizes the industry every year with their phone releases.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:34 PM   #1797
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the standout for me is still the Watch.

I am up in the air against getting the 7 or 8 as an upgrade to my 5s. The X would be nice, but out of my price range.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:10 PM   #1798
photon

Exp:

I just tell myself that I want the watch, but don't need it, and I add the price of the watch to the price of the 8 and I can get an X

/rationalizations
Old 09-13-2017, 07:04 AM   #1799
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Apple price gouging their customers? That's unheard of!
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #1800
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just tell myself that I want the watch, but don't need it, and I add the price of the watch to the price of the 8 and I can get an X

/rationalizations

If you only got the X then your Qi mat will look pretty barren.