Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #821
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not til 2013
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsnaP For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #822
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new iPad/iPhone remote thing is awesome. Ability to review the guide, go to see imdb info, setup recordings, etc... best control app I've seen.

Well done.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #823
jjbouma
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So I cancelled my Telus service, sent my equipment back August 8 and verified with the tracking number that it was received on August 10. All throughout August and September my account balance was zero and my account showed closed. At the end of September I threw out my tracking number because the equipment had been received over 6 weeks ago and my account showed closed for more than 1 month. Now in the beginning of October I received a charge for over $550 for unreturned equipment. They are now doing an "investigation" but who knows how long that will take. I've moved to the US and have no money in my Canadian account, yet was charged to my Canadian credit card, so now I have no way to pay my credit card.

I spoke with customer service and she told me they charge everyone for the equipment, no matter if they receive it or not, unless you call them with the tracking number. They are borderline thieves. I was never told to call with the tracking number, just to keep it until the account showed that it was closed and didn't have any charges. I was also told that they can charge me up to 4 months after the account is closed. I wasn't told any of this.

Anyone else gone through something similar?
jjbouma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjbouma For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #824
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbouma View Post
So I cancelled my Telus service, sent my equipment back August 8 and verified with the tracking number that it was received on August 10. All throughout August and September my account balance was zero and my account showed closed. At the end of September I threw out my tracking number because the equipment had been received over 6 weeks ago and my account showed closed for more than 1 month. Now in the beginning of October I received a charge for over $550 for unreturned equipment. They are now doing an "investigation" but who knows how long that will take. I've moved to the US and have no money in my Canadian account, yet was charged to my Canadian credit card, so now I have no way to pay my credit card.

I spoke with customer service and she told me they charge everyone for the equipment, no matter if they receive it or not, unless you call them with the tracking number. They are borderline thieves. I was never told to call with the tracking number, just to keep it until the account showed that it was closed and didn't have any charges. I was also told that they can charge me up to 4 months after the account is closed. I wasn't told any of this.

I had pretty much the exact same experience! There was a charge of a couple hundred bucks on my account that returning the equipment was supposed to wipe out and then they were supposed to cut me a cheque for $250ish on top of that. I also went through the entire "here's my tracking number, here's the confirmation you received it, blah blah blah" process. Plain and simple, the only thing that helped is I escalated to as high a manager as possible. I am not overly happy with my Shaw service, but I will NEVER make the switch to Telus again.

All in all, I think it took about a year to finally get a cheque from them, which is pretty funny compared to what would have happened if I owed them $250 for a year!
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #825
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the briefest of moments I was considering subscribing to Telus. 15 seconds of this thread reminded me of all the reasons I (happily) pay more for a different service, despite it being riddled with challenges of its own.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #826
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I returned my equipment on 9/22/12. Telus received it in Richmond, BC on 9/25/12. I hope I don't go through what you guys did.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #827
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just loaded up the remote control app. It is really slick. You can buzz through the guide really fast and select a show.
I haven't seen how to disable/hide channels that you don't want yet but I assume it is there somewhere.

I setup the on the go app as well but noticed that most shows aren't on there. CTV, HBO and Movie Central are all listed as being on tv only and not through the app. Any idea when they will become available?
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #828
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbouma View Post

That sounds like the beginning stages of what happened to me with Bell. Watch your credit bureau closely.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #829
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just saw the ad for the Optik TV Remote app.

Shaw is so far behind in this area.

(I'm a Shaw customer, but at this point I don't really know why...)

Last edited by Flames0910; 10-15-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #830
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

My install is tomorrow.

I have a gaming desktop that is not wireless. Will they be able to install a modem in my home office for a wired connection?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #831
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

They may either run a seperate cat5 for the computer or install the modem there if there is a phone jack and a spare coax cable.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #832
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

They put the modem in the home office. Was able to use my current wireless router. Install was seamless and I didn't even have to configure any or my devices.

Internet tested at 16 MB/s down. Remote record works although the recording suffered from pixelated pictures for about 10 seconds. Hope that's not a sign of things to come.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #833
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Could be a funked PVR. Call your tech, should be able to swap it out.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #834
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's that time of year again. Gets a little cold and cloudy and Telus T.V starts freezing. Also the difference between the connection at night and day is day and night. I have almost no problems in the summer, but as soon as October rolls along with some colder weather is when the connection gets bad.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #835
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginla View Post
It's that time of year again. Gets a little cold and cloudy and Telus T.V starts freezing. Also the difference between the connection at night and day is day and night. I have almost no problems in the summer, but as soon as October rolls along with some colder weather is when the connection gets bad.
For what it's worth Bells not much better in that aspect.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #836
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

So here was my tv bill for this month.. i have no idea how its so low.. anyone want to take a guess as to why?

Monthly and other charges(for Sep 27 to Oct 26) Medium choice combo
$64.00Essentials - 3 Year Term 6 theme pack
SportsPopular ChoicesAdventureNewsEntertainment ExtraLifestyleMedium choice combo (from Sep 11 to Sep 26)$33.06Optik TV discount - 3 month - effective Sep 11 to Dec 10-$19.00Optik TV discount - 3 month (from Sep 11 to Sep 26 @ -19.00)-$9.81Essentials - 3 Year Term (from Sep 11 to Sep 26 @ -31.00)-$16.00Large choice combo (from Sep 11 to Sep 26 @ 26.00)$13.42theme packs (from Sep 11 to Sep 26 @ -9.00 ea)-$41.85Super Channel$17.00Super Channel (from Sep 11 to Sep 26 @ 17.00)$8.77Sports Top-Up Pack$2.00Bonus 3 Month Free - add-on pack - effective Sep 11 to Dec 10-$17.00Bonus 3 Month Free - add-on pack (from Sep 11 to Sep 26 @ -17.00)-$8.77Movie 6 Pack (from Sep 11 to Sep 26 @ -21.00)-$10.84Premium HD pack$5.00Premium HD pack$5.002 Digital Box - CIS330 Mediaroom Rental FreeDigital Box - PVR CIS430 Mediaroom Rental $0.00Bundle Discount-$5.00Bonus 3 Month Free - Premium HD packs - discount ends -$2.67Total monthly and other charges$12.31Total TELUS TV service charges$12.31
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #837
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginla View Post
Have you called in a trouble? Could just be some wiring or a bad connection.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #838
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsnaP View Post
Have you called in a trouble? Could just be some wiring or a bad connection.
Yes, and after about the tenth call they came and changed the wires on the outside of the house.

That didn't change anything. Does Telus purposely make their Internet connection worse at night or am I just imagining things? I swear the only time my ps3 glitches is at night or in the cold months.

It's a shame because I really like Telus.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #839
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

No, the internet isnt slower at night. Perhaps its the server your connected to that it being overloaded.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #840
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We just got Telus installed today, and since we didnt signup for the 3 year contract we didnt get the PVR. It's just a regular digital box. Is is possible to just buy the PVR off Kijiji and switch it out with the PVR and everything would work as normal?

Also, anyone selling a Telus PVR or willing to trade it for a Shaw one?
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote