Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2016, 11:29 PM   #281
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Good lord, CP just logged me out after I wrote an epic review that specifically hit points not mentioned in here as of yet. Post lost. Man are you guys missing out on some brilliant &*^# there.
I might be wrong, but at least in Firefox, if you're logged out while you're writing your post, you just enter your login information at the screen and your post still goes through.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:40 AM   #282
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Months? More likely days.
Ha, good call.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:40 AM   #283
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
On a related note, I haven't seen it in this thread, but I can't be the only one who thought he spotted Snoke?
Who? Vaders cabin boy?
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:46 AM   #284
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Vanee

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:48 AM   #285
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Vanee

Vaneé from ROTJ fame?
Old 12-31-2016, 01:53 AM   #286
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kren_Blista-Vanee

Yup the dude in the lower middle

Old 12-31-2016, 01:55 AM   #287
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Which if Snoke is Vanee or one of the other ruling members they would have had to survive the destruction of the 2nd Death Star.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:04 AM   #288
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which if Snoke is Vanee or one of the other ruling members they would have had to survive the destruction of the 2nd Death Star.

Vader's butler then, or secret apprentice?

Snoke did seem pretty banged up. Survived 2nd Death Star destruction - possibly, lots of people did manage to escape, so it's not out of the question.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #289
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Vanee
Is this Vader's cabin boy? That is who I was referring too - the faces looked very similar, almost as if they used CGI to make a younger/healthy version of Snoke.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:40 AM   #290
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Vanee is Vader's servant. Its also thought that he later became a member of the Imperial Ruling council that we saw on the death star.

I don't believe they're the same people, but the name choice might be another nod to the OT.

I have my doubts that he's Snoke. I still think that Snoke wasn't in the original trilogy and is either a new creation, or someone that we've seen somewhere else.

However it would play into my theory that Snoke is not force sensitive at all and needs Kylo's power to maintain his power. He knows the Force but can't use it.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:55 AM   #291
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw R1 last night...much better. I freakin hated TFA, I was so disappointed with it that I didn't even care if I saw R1 or not, the gf wanted to see it. So happy they took a darker approach with R1, TFA was so cheesy and a kid's movie basically. I expected the same out of R1 so I was pleasantly surprised that wasn't the case. I loved the vastness of the locations used, really made the universe feel huge. The varied locations used reminded me of GoT or something, I loved it.

I also had no idea it was a prequel! I was so confused at first. I feel like that should've come out before TFA, I wonder why they did it the other way around. Either way I enjoyed it though, I'm glad they finally moved forward with new characters, TFA was just pure fan service. That scene with Vader at the end was so cool, I love how R1 ends the exact minute ANH begins. Makes me want to watch the original movie again today now.

Basically TFA killed my interest in new SW going forward, and R1 just brought it back.

Last edited by Sainters7; 12-31-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:10 AM   #292
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Just saw R1 last night...much better. I freakin hated TFA, I was so disappointed with it that I didn't even care if I saw R1 or not, the gf wanted to see it. So happy they took a darker approach with R1, TFA was so cheesy and a kid's movie basically. I expected the same out of R1 so I was pleasantly surprised that wasn't the case. I loved the vastness of the locations used, really made the universe feel huge. The varied locations used reminded me of GoT or something, I loved it.

I also had no idea it was a prequel! I was so confused at first. I feel like that should've come out before TFA, I wonder why they did it the other way around. Either way I enjoyed it though, I'm glad they finally moved forward with new characters, TFA was just pure fan service. That scene with Vader at the end was so cool, I love how R1 ends the exact minute ANH begins. Makes me want to watch the original movie again today now.

Basically TFA killed my interest in new SW going forward, and R1 just brought it back.
Little hypocritical to criticize TFA for being fan service and then state how awesome the biggest piece of fan service in either movie is, no?
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:17 AM   #293
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just mean in the sense that the entire movie of TFA felt like fan service. Like awkwardly shoehorning in a very tired, awkward Harrison Ford with no screen presence anymore in the entire thing who I just couldn't buy at all. And revisiting old areas from the originals for no reason than to revisit old areas from the original.

Pretty much the entirety of TFA to me felt like the director saying "Hey guys, remember this place from SW?...how bout this place?...hey look, it's Han Solo and Chewy!!..haha, remember this part from SW?" I found it so painfully awkward and too on the nose, like a treasured TV show reunion episode over a decade later. Imo R1 did a much better job peppering in just enough of that stuff on the side, without it completely taking over the picture like it did in TFA.

Last edited by Sainters7; 12-31-2016 at 10:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #294
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Watched the movie with the family a couple days ago. While I agree that TFA might have been a better movie in terms of character development and direction, R1 was a more satisfying movie to me. TFA needed to set up the characters and context - I think 8 is where the post ROTJ movies will shine. R1 needed to stand on its own much more - we know what happens after.

My first thought after the movie ended was that I would want to see R1 along with EP 4, 5, and 6 in a marathon. Maybe I'll 7 and 8 to that list, but that will depend on what direction 8 goes and how well it's done.

For the record, CG Tarkin and Leia didn't bother me (I watched in IMAX 3d). Ironically, I only knew about Tarkin being CG, and I felt more shock at how well he looked as opposed to put off. Leia's appearance was a surprise to me, but I thought she looked great too, though not as good as Tarkin. I think her face seemed a bit too round.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #295
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just mean in the sense that the entire movie of TFA felt like fan service. Like awkwardly shoehorning in a very tired, awkward Harrison Ford with no screen presence anymore in the entire thing who I just couldn't buy at all. And revisiting old areas from the originals for no reason than to revisit old areas from the original.

Pretty much the entirety of TFA to me felt like the director saying "Hey guys, remember this place from SW?...how bout this place?...hey look, it's Han Solo and Chewy!!..haha, remember this part from SW?" I found it so painfully awkward and too on the nose, like a treasured TV show reunion episode over a decade later. Imo R1 did a much better job peppering in just enough of that stuff on the side, without it completely taking over the picture like it did in TFA.
That's interesting, I found the conclusion of the Han Solo arc and Ben becoming Kylo Ren making the opposite choice as Vader did at the end of 6 the most powerful part of TFA.

I get the complaints about another Death Star and another bar scene but Han was that movie. That was at once the creation of the villain and the end of our past heros arc.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:39 AM   #296
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair enough, we'll prob just have to agree to disagree on TFA. It wasn't just the over the top fan service in TFA that I disliked, but the general kiddy, one-liner filled vibe of it all. It reminded me of Marvel movies in that regard which while entertaining, I'm not a fan of all the silliness either. But I know those are most people's favourites these days, so there's probably just a philosophical difference in fantasy / action movie taste between what I want in those movies versus what your average moviegoer wants. Either way, R1 hit the right amount of it for me. I'm back on board with new SW movies going forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2016, 11:45 AM   #297
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I also had no idea it was a prequel.

Were you living under a rock the last 2 years?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #298
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

In terms of SW I probably was, yarp. As far as I knew, it was going to pick up exactly where TFA left off. I just completely lost interest after TFA, and thus didn't do any research into R1. I didn't think I'd even see it to be honest. I like going into a movie you don't know anything about like that, I came out quite pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by Sainters7; 12-31-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:31 PM   #299
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Vanee is Vader's servant. Its also thought that he later became a member of the Imperial Ruling council that we saw on the death star.

I don't believe they're the same people, but the name choice might be another nod to the OT.

I have my doubts that he's Snoke. I still think that Snoke wasn't in the original trilogy and is either a new creation, or someone that we've seen somewhere else.

However it would play into my theory that Snoke is not force sensitive at all and needs Kylo's power to maintain his power. He knows the Force but can't use it.

Ah, like a Force parasite or moocher. I like that theory. Would make sense if he got the taste of it from Vader or whoever the previous generations of Sith apprentice he assisted. I guess they would have maybe given him some training so that he could do particular job functions. Now, I guess the question would be, can you steal midichlorians? Maybe he was drinking the Bacta water from Vader's bath.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #300
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Ah, like a Force parasite or moocher. I like that theory. Would make sense if he got the taste of it from Vader or whoever the previous generations of Sith apprentice he assisted. I guess they would have maybe given him some training so that he could do particular job functions. Now, I guess the question would be, can you steal midichlorians? Maybe he was drinking the Bacta water from Vader's bath.
Not a parasite or moocher. But a politician who knows that to maintain power in the First Order he needs a powerful force user to act as his enforcer and be loyal to him.

The whole "Look at my apprentice, cross me and he'll deal with you"

My theory is this.

Snoke was a politician that

1) was a political advisor to Palpatine and learned enough about the force to be able to talk the talk, and give tidbits of knowledge

or
2) Was a Republic senator who was close to the Solo family. He saw Ben's strife early enough, and doing some research figured out how to corrupt him and teach him without using the force. "You need to make use of your anger blah blah" or he found Sith Holocron's or even Palpatines writings to corrupt Ben.

The second theory almost works better because the Solo's and Luke never saw Snoke corrupting his son, and Luke probably would have picked up a powerful force user.

Once he got Ben hooked on the stories of his grandfather a great Sith but flawed man who sought to bring order to the galaxy, it was easy to sell him on stopping the Jedi before their weakness and corrupting influence established itself again. Also he convinced Ben that to truly embrace the darkside he had to kill people closest to him, which were probably the Jedi.

Meanwhile Snoke hides away and slowly takes control of the more extreme elements of the Empire. He convinces him that he's force strong because he can control a powerful force user like Ben Solo. These extremists split off from the Empire and form the first order.

Meanwhile Snoke passes small nuggets of knowledge to Ben, he never has to show his own force powers which is kind of Sith like if you look at the rule of two.

That's why I believe that Kylo Ren will not be redeemed, he will eventually figure out the lie that is Snoke and kill him and take his place as the new Emperor of the First Order which puts him on a confrontational course with Rey the last person that he showed mercy to when he saved her life at the Jedi Temple and then abandoned her on Jakku.

Of course now, Ren see's her as the last sign of goodness in him and feels a need to eradicate her so he can complete his ascension beyond what his grandfather was.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: