Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #1041
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I really wish there were advanced stats available for the public so we could see just how important players are to their team (without being able to watch them).

For example, I'd like to know if Ferland is fairly independent in his abilities or were his abilities enhanced from being on a line with a surging Mark Stone?

Oh well, I'm just happy we have some prospects who are doing this well.
yeah, it's difficult to say. There's no denying that Ferland profits from playing with Stone, I think that's obvious ... but in the games without Stone, Ferland has done quite well too: 5 games, 1 goal, 4 assists, 5 points. A small sample, but PPG without Stone is fine in my book.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #1042
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last night Wahl had a goal and an assist in a 3-2 win over Ontario.

Wahl now has 6 points (2 goals, 3 assists) in his last 4 games. He has 26 points (17 goals, 9 assists) in 27 games this season with Utah.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #1043
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Last night Wahl had a goal and an assist in a 3-2 win over Ontario.

Wahl now has 6 points (2 goals, 3 assists) in his last 4 games. He has 26 points (17 goals, 9 assists) in 27 games this season with Utah.
So is Wahl going to get another look next season? Or is he buried?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #1044
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
So is Wahl going to get another look next season? Or is he buried?
No idea. It's so weird that his game can't translate to the AHL level since he does well in the ECHL. He was sort of sh*t on to start his pro career. He played about a quarter of the season with the Heat, got absolutely hammered in an open ice hit, came back for one period under Playfair saying he was ready, he still felt concussion symptoms after that one period, and so the story goes.

It's just weird. He looks fairly average with the Heat. I still have faith in him. He's only 21, and I'd like to see what Ward can do with him mentally. One full season with Ward could do wonders for his career. Look what Ward has done with Aliu and Howse mentally.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #1045
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

A wee update on Ortio...

He is currently 3-6-3 with a 2.47 GAA and .915 SV% over in the SM-LIIGA. He's let in 3 goals in each of his last 6 games, with a record of 1-3-2 during that timespan. Stats are still good for someone who has been on riding the pine all season

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #1046
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Two assists for Gaudreau tonight. B.C. beats Massachusetts. No points for Arnold.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Rotten For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #1047
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't able to get to the game tonight, but the Heat lost 4-1 to the Peoria Rivermen. The lone goal scorer was Piskula from Breen and Bancks.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #1048
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boston College wins 3-2 in their second game, so they move on to the next round of Hockey East's playoffs.
Gaudreau and Arnold each had an assist.

BC is the only team to sweep their series (so far).

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman

Last edited by Freeway; 03-10-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #1049
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Good job Boston. Get out the brooms!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #1050
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Gaudreau also had a game-leading six shots tonight.
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #1051
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geez I wish Gaudreau was 20lbs heavier and playing his 3rd year of CHL hockey haha.

Sucks to have to wait another 3 or so years to see if:

(A) The kid will grow some
(B) If his talents will translate to the pros
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #1052
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland with 1 + 1 and the first star.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #1053
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau will spend three more years working out and eating chowder and before you know it, he'll be wearing red.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #1054
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a college player is ready, they'll often leave school early although an extra two years is probably best for an undersized, late maturing player.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #1055
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone surprised that Ferland and Arnold weren't rated in the top ten of Flames' prospects in the Hockey News?

Although the Flames were ranked 29th and given a 'C' grade, the prospect pool does look better than it has over recent years. Still, a lot is to be proven by the Ferlands and Arnolds, etc...
Old 03-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #1056
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
Anyone surprised that Ferland and Arnold weren't rated in the top ten of Flames' prospects in the Hockey News?

Although the Flames were ranked 29th and given a 'C' grade, the prospect pool does look better than it has over recent years. Still, a lot is to be proven by the Ferlands and Arnolds, etc...
Johnny, do you have a link to that article or was it in their magazine? I'd be interested to see what they say.

Just for context, where to the Canucks place? Because I see their organizational depth just as good if not worse than ours.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #1057
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
If a college player is ready, they'll often leave school early although an extra two years is probably best for an undersized, late maturing player.
I don't take Hockey News seriously anymore.

We were 25th last year and dropped 4 places even though there can be no argument that our prospect pool has improved significantly over the last year.

I don't buy the line that even though the flames improved all the other teams improved that much more, because its not possible that they believe that we got worse, that would be just stupid.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #1058
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't take Hockey News seriously anymore.

We were 25th last year and dropped 4 places even though there can be no argument that our prospect pool has improved significantly over the last year.

I don't buy the line that even though the flames improved all the other teams improved that much more, because its not possible that they believe that we got worse, that would be just stupid.
Backlund has graduated. It is possible Brodie has as well. Erixon is gone. Howse has dropped. Nemisz may have as well. Negrin and Chucko Pelech Wahl are showibg bust. Almost all of our top prospects are in College or junior.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #1059
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Backlund has graduated. It is possible Brodie has as well. Erixon is gone. Howse has dropped. Nemisz may have as well. Negrin and Chucko Pelech Wahl are showibg bust. Almost all of our top prospects are in College or junior.
Nemisz would still be a prospect since this is his second pro year, Brodie would still be a prospect, Backlund has probably graduated. In the overall picture, you replace Chucko Pelech and Negrin with Leach, Ramage, Reinhart, Ferland Bart, Horak, for example and its a much stronger group of prospects.

Nemisz would have probably improved under the ratings, as he is a much better player this year then last.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #1060
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Johnny, do you have a link to that article or was it in their magazine? I'd be interested to see what they say.

Just for context, where to the Canucks place? Because I see their organizational depth just as good if not worse than ours.
It was their magazine, and I have the magazine at home; I can't remember where the Canucks rank. The Oilers rank number one, believe it or not-A+ ranking for them, and a 'C' ranking for us.

I've usually always looked forward to the prospect/future look issue of the Hockey News and the draft issue (Really, I find the rest of their issues not very exciting/interesting anymore).

I have actually kept them over the past dozen years. It's sometimes interesting to see where they have players/teams ranked. Just a heads up, but sometimes their predictions are wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Rotten For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames go! , oilers suck , prospects