Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2015, 09:19 AM   #801
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've taken Uber 14 times since they launched which is more than I would have taken a cab in the same time period. It's so much easier/cheaper/reliable that Uber is a viable option for my day-to-day commute/errands. My worst Uber experience so far is at worst, equal to my best cab experience from a cleanliness, efficiency and knowledge standpoint.

Down with the Cab Cartel!
Clever_Iggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #802
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

hahaha that's another conversation I've had in the past.

I get in cab, tell them where I'm going. We arrive, I pull out the Visa.

"Sorry, I don't take Visa"

WTF, it says Visa right on your window.

"Sorry, you have to tell me you are paying visa. Do you have cash? I can drive you to a bank machine"

No, I only have Visa.

"Visa machine doesn't work"

etc etc etc

It's ridiculous. Not only do I have to fight for a cab, I have to explicitly tell the driver I am using a visa, like it's some kind of evaluation whether or not I'm allowed into his private clubhouse. All I want is a ride home and someone to take my money. It shouldn't be that hard.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #803
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe I'm paranoid but I'll need to take one taxi/Uber trip to the airport for my Christmas trip next month.

Do you think taxi or Uber is the safer option? In that I mean the driver won't tip off people that our entire family will be out of town.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #804
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I walked out of a bar at 2 am on Saturday night on 17th. Flagged a cab town, and went home. The likelyhood of that happening before Uber existed is nil.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #805
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I walked out of a bar at 2 am on Saturday night on 17th. Flagged a cab town, and went home. The likelyhood of that happening before Uber existed is nil.
Ha! Good point. All of a sudden taxis operate somewhat the way taxis should.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #806
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post

"Sorry, you have to tell me you are paying visa. Do you have cash? I can drive you to a bank machine"

No, I only have Visa.

etc etc etc

It's ridiculous. Not only do I have to fight for a cab, I have to explicitly tell the driver I am using a visa, like it's some kind of evaluation whether or not I'm allowed into his private clubhouse. All I want is a ride home and someone to take my money. It shouldn't be that hard.
As far as I know, there is no rule you need to tell them up front you're using Visa. With credit cards the cabbies don't get their money for about 30 days, so they want cash - but you have every right to pay with a card.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #807
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ha! Good point. All of a sudden taxis operate somewhat the way taxis should.
Weird what actual competition will do to an industry. There were cabs to be had everywhere on Saturday night. I don't think it has anything to do with Uber stealing fares from them either. There's just more cabs on the road when they can't pick and chose when they work.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #808
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Weird what actual competition will do to an industry. There were cabs to be had everywhere on Saturday night. I don't think it has anything to do with Uber stealing fares from them either. There's just more cabs on the road when they can't pick and chose when they work.
I remember the days when you had to break an old lady's hip in a hotel parking lot to get a cab on a weekend. All of a sudden they're everywhere!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #809
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

No, I only have Visa.

etc etc etc

You played this wrong. The correct response is "oh that sucks for you", then get out and walk away.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #810
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

There were 3 Uber's available in Mahogany at 1 pm on Saturday. I was shocked with how many there are but I guess if you're looking for work, might as well drive some people.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #811
Geordi
Draft Pick

Quote:
I would respectfully disagree. I think Uber is taking a ton of business. It's even getting harder as an uber driver to get a fare. A ton of new drivers activated over the last week or two. I'm getting lots of people who have taken their 3rd, 4th, 5th etc uber ride. Even with switching shifts around there's a finite number of cabs available (the biggest problem with the license system). There's just no way that Uber can't be cutting into their business.
Geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #812
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm not saying everyone's making up or exaggerating recent experiences, but it is interesting how everyone seems to have taken an Uber and Cab ride for trips to and from places in the same night.

Not that I don't believe everyone, but it seems a little strange so many would do this when they apparently already knew how terrible taxi service has been for years. The "I tried both for comparison" stories would come off more legit if it was two new services, not sure why everyone would pay more for worse service on one of their rides just to have a nice feel good juxtaposition story of Uber for the internet.
Your post is a bit odd, are you saying that since taxis are clearly the inferior method of transport, that anybody with a story about a taxi ride may or may not be lying and/or exaggerating?

I for one still take taxis when work pays for it, because my work visa isn't tied to my Uber account. Also have taken a cab a few times just by flagging down.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #813
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordi View Post
I would respectfully disagree. I think Uber is taking a ton of business. It's even getting harder as an uber driver to get a fare. A ton of new drivers activated over the last week or two. I'm getting lots of people who have taken their 3rd, 4th, 5th etc uber ride. Even with switching shifts around there's a finite number of cabs available (the biggest problem with the license system). There's just no way that Uber can't be cutting into their business.
Oh I have no doubt Uber is cutting into their business, I just don't think that's why there are more cabs available late on Friday and Saturday. Much higher volumes of cabs out working on Friday or Saturday night than just over a month ago. Cabbies could pick and chose when they worked when there was the monopoly. Uber has forced them to be on the streets Friday and Saturday nights now, and they can cherry pick their runs anymore.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #814
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are people's thoughts on Brett Wilson offering up $100 000 to the library for council to approve Uber?
http://www.metronews.ca/views/calgar...y-hostage.html

Isn't this a little like offering up a bribe?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #815
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What are people's thoughts on Brett Wilson offering up $100 000 to the library for council to approve Uber?

If he was a stakeholder in Uber, sure. All he's doing is trying to spur some action on this issue with a city council that is content with sitting on their hands and doing nothing and hoping the public interest goes away. Amend the livery bylaw conditioned on the insurance issue being settled, hand out tissues to those that bet big on the black market medallions and get your $100k for the library.
Clever_Iggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #816
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Isn't he a co founder or angel investor or something?
Old 11-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #817
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the publicity he's spread for them in Calgary, I'd be very surprised if he didn't have something invested.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #818
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Sounds like he's saying he doesn't. Weird. I thought I heard he did.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #819
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

No, I only have Visa.

etc etc etc

I found the fastest way to fix a “broken” card machine in a cab is to offer to call the office and have them process the payment. Even with no outside manipulation, the reader works right away.

Then you call dispatch and tip them off since they probably don't get their cut when the driver pockets the cash.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #820
adc
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

How about instead of trying to do BS like this Uber actually addresses the issues and follows the rules like normal companies do?

Oh that's right because doing so will cost them much more than $100,000 and this way they can continue their BS marketing scam of being the "good guys" while breaking laws, exploiting drivers and users.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote