Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2023, 06:59 PM   #1
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:
Default HNIC Panel Insights

I have to say that I have been been really impressed with the panel this playoff

In particular, Bieksa is killing it and Lalonde has been tremendously insightful

I’ll give you an example from the Game 3 Leafs Lightning series. They were discussing the Tavares goal. Nylander had the puck. It looked like a simple shot on net to get a rebound that Tavares could bang in. Bieksa froze the play, showed Nylander’s options. He had an open lane to the point, and the Lightning had pretty good coverage of the lanes to the other players. Tavares did have position out front. You could see Nylander step out a bit, look at his options, and put it off the goalie’s pad for Tavares. It was a good decision and a skill play

Contrast to the panel on the network carrying the US series, with Biznasty, Weekes, Chelios and whomever. They basically gave the insight on the Tavares goal that it’s good to just get pucks on net. Great. Thanks

I am really appreciating the insight

They have had many other great analyses, noting an Edmonton forecheck where they unnecessarily sent a second forward in that essentially added no value and left the lane up the middle for the LA stretch winger (I think Fiala) to circle back

Lalonde yesterday outlining the Edmonton PP, working through a few of their set moves in sequence before scoring

Not to mention, yesterday Bieksa was spot on when Edmonton was down 3-0, saying they needed to press and draw a PP, then get an ES one and they were very much in it. Then for OT, he called Hyman.

Amber is doing ok in his role.

Does anyone else find that Elliotte is adding a lot less value right now, with two guys who are really keen and understand the game?

I think we are very fortunate, this panel has been nothing short of excellent

Is it just me? Can you think of any other analysts who have done this well on HNIC or other broadcasts?

Great stuff
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2023, 07:01 PM   #2
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I have to say that I have been been really impressed with the panel this playoff

In particular, Bieksa is killing it and Lalonde has been tremendously insightful

I’ll give you an example from the Game 3 Leafs Lightning series. They were discussing the Tavares goal. Nylander had the puck. It looked like a simple shot on net to get a rebound that Tavares could bang in. Bieksa froze the play, showed Nylander’s options. He had an open lane to the point, and the Lightning had pretty good coverage of the lanes to the other players. Tavares did have position out front. You could see Nylander step out a bit, look at his options, and put it off the goalie’s pad for Tavares. It was a good decision and a skill play

Contrast to the panel on the network carrying the US series, with Biznasty, Weekes, Chelios and whomever. They basically gave the insight that it’s good to just get pucks on net.

They have had many other great analyses, noting an Edmonton forecheck where they unnecessarily sent a second forward in that essentially added no value and left the lane up the middle for the LA stretch winger (I think Fiala) to circle back

Lalonde yesterday outlining the Edmonton PP, working through a few of their set moves in sequence before scoring

Not to mention, yesterday Bieksa was spot on when Edmonton was down 3-0, saying they needed to press and draw a PP, then get an ES one and they were very much in it. Then for OT, he called Hyman.

Does anyone else find that Elliotte is adding a lot less value right now, with two guys who are really keen and understand the game?

Is it just me? Can you think of any other analysts who have done this well on HNIC or other broadcasts?

Great stuff
It would be fine if MacLean wasn't on it with his gibberish. I noticed he had to make a McDavid reference in the first intermission because he always does.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2023, 07:01 PM   #3
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bieksa could tone down the Oiler pompom waving!!
Old 04-24-2023, 07:32 PM   #4
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah it is at its best in recent memory right now. Good chemistry too. And aside from Bieksa's valley girl accent he is a good addition.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 07:57 PM   #5
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just wish that Lalonde wasn't so boring to listen to. I find that Friedman is pretty useless on the panel.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:04 PM   #6
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friedman doesn't really offer the same insight into the game that is being played as the other members. He is good for behind the scenes information but he is in over his head here. Definately more of a broadcaster than he is a commentator.

Bieksa is a smart and insightful addition with a bit of a flair for humour. I wouldn't be surprised if he was to be a regular in the first intermission going forth similar to Don Cherry. The difference being though that he is already loaded and doesn't need any work.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:26 PM   #7
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lalonde actually comes across as a humble quiet guy so I like him. It's a different perspective. Appreciate that he's put on the air at an older age as well. Bucks the trend. Friedman is definitely the odd man out there - doesn't quite retort to Bieksa's quips and seems to get annoyed that he's made fun of. Just not there and Bieksa makes it known it's a goof.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:34 PM   #8
musth
Backup Goalie

Exp:

#### Ron MacLean. He hasn't been relevant in 2 decades. I wish he'd go away.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:45 PM   #9
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

You mean O'Reilly instead of Tavares for the first one?

LaLonde's breakdown of the 1-3-1 and what was working against it was also good.

Realistically in the first two rounds a guy like Freeman once a week to update Coach and GM vacancies and some player activity is all that he can add. Having a coach, ex player, and say a bitter ex official who won't be afraid to critique the officiating makes for a more balanced panel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2023, 08:45 PM   #10
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do they have a boring Dr. Gru on the panel?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:48 PM   #11
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Contrast to the panel on the network carrying the US series, with Biznasty, Weekes, Chelios and whomever. They basically gave the insight on the Tavares goal that it’s good to just get pucks on net. Great. Thanks

I get what you are saying but the two panels are talking to two very differently hockey educated fan bases.

I like both a lot actually.
Old 04-24-2023, 09:16 PM   #12
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Keith Yandle, in particular, has the personality of a swimming noodle. Yesterday during the Boston/Florida game: "The Panthers have to take advantage of the Bruins' mistakes and put pucks in deep." (Paraphrasing) Wow. Insightful. It's his first year in the role, but he seems uncomfortable and adds nothing to the conversation. He spits out the same cliches he did during his playing days. I'm surprised he didn't add that Florida had to give it 110%.

CBC/Sportsnet panels have been great.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:38 PM   #13
sarge
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Great stuff
So, last night were you impressed with the panel when not one of them brought up either the McHobo trip on Doughty that led to a Coiler goal shortly after or the penalty on Fiala for body checking that negated a Kings two on one and resulted in a McPP goal? All told, just those two plays scuttled what could’ve been a 4-1 Kings lead and resulted in the game being tied at three, but I guess they weren’t worth talking about. Their collective silence was definitely telling, and it shows that none of them have an ounce of integrity and that they’re all in on Sportsnet’s creepy love affair with the Coilers and good with the NHL’s plan to assist the Coilers in getting as far as they can in these playoffs. It’s so obvious it’s sickening…
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarge For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2023, 10:30 PM   #14
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Bieksa is my favorite of all the panel members. He offers great insights on the game.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:53 AM   #15
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I just wish that Lalonde wasn't so boring to listen to. I find that Friedman is pretty useless on the panel.
Friedman is a news/rumour guy, not an analyst.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 06:59 AM   #16
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Why do they have a boring Dr. Gru on the panel?
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 07:49 AM   #17
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been impressed with Lalonde's insight as well in the small snippets I have seen but MacLean is a no-go for me so I avoid intermissions.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:11 AM   #18
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am listening mainly to the US panel, and don't really care for the Bissonnette theatrics. I just don't find him that funny. Maybe because it was late last night, they also seem to think it's cool they can swear.

I miss Patrick Sharpe on the panel, he seems to be doing more color. I need another "that's a team that knows how to lose" comment. Anson Carter is pretty good. And I like Eddie O. on the broadcast.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:30 AM   #19
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I've been pretty impressed with Bieksa for a while. Which really pains me to say because I really didn't like him as a player haha.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2023, 08:34 AM   #20
Scooter
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default HNIC panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I've been impressed with Lalonde's insight as well in the small snippets I have seen but MacLean is a no-go for me so I avoid intermissions.
Lalonde gives excellent breakdown and explanation of play! Maclean can disappear into the sunset, the sooner the better!
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote