Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2016, 03:55 PM   #1061
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
^ These are the lies I'm referring to ILikeToPuck.

Are you serious?

They are just wording it so it's not "matter of fact" like you have been talking.
You didn't read past the first paragraph, did you?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #1062
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Why do you hate freedom?
I hate the kind of freedom so callously endorsed by many in this thread. We are not autonomous individuals. I love the freely-chosen liberty of people choosing to fulfill their obligations and responsibilities to themselves, their families, and their communities. Not the slavish sophistry of those urging us to fulfill our most base desires over everyone and everything else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #1063
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
For years, now, experts have been sounding the alarm about a possible link between marijuana use and psychosis. One of the best-known studies followed nearly 50,000 young Swedish soldiers for 15 years. Those who had smoked marijuana at least once were more than twice as likely to develop schizophrenia as those who had never smoked pot. The heaviest users (who said they used marijuana more than 50 times) were six times as likely to develop schizophrenia as the nonsmokers.

So far, this research shows only an association between smoking pot and developing psychosis or schizophrenia later on. That’s not the same thing as saying that marijuana causes psychosis.

This is how research works. Years ago, scientists first noted an association between cigarette smoking and lung cancer. Only later were they able to figure out exactly how cigarette smoke damaged the lungs and other parts of the body, causing cancer and other diseases.

The research on marijuana and the brain is at a much earlier stage. We do know that THC, one of the active compounds in marijuana, stimulates the brain and triggers other chemical reactions that contribute to the drug’s psychological and physical effects.

But it’s not clear how marijuana use might lead to psychosis. One theory is that marijuana may interfere with normal brain development during the teenage years and young adulthood.

The teenage brain is still a work in progress. Between the teen years and the mid-20s, areas of the brain responsible for judgment and problem solving are still making connections with the emotional centers of the brain. Smoking marijuana may derail this process and so increase a young person’s vulnerability to psychotic thinking. (You can read more about how the adolescent brain develops in this article from the Harvard Mental Health Letter.)
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/t...s-201103071676
Old 05-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #1064
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard that a lot of faculty at Harvard are former prison guards, and thus, can't be trusted with decent medical research.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:02 PM   #1065
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
You didn't read past the first paragraph, did you?
It's obvious your posts are just trying to elicit a response. Otherwise known as trolling. If you can't have an actual discussion then this is over.

Going to go ahead and put you on my ignore list because I know you will respond with some snide condescending remark like you did the last time I tried to ditch this pointless debate.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #1066
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I heard that a lot of faculty at Harvard are former prison guards, and thus, can't be trusted with decent medical research.
But but but.... everyone is sick and tired of their lies
Old 05-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #1067
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hate the kind of freedom so callously endorsed by many in this thread. We are not autonomous individuals. I love the freely-chosen liberty of people choosing to fulfill their obligations and responsibilities to themselves, their families, and their communities. Not the slavish sophistry of those urging us to fulfill our most base desires over everyone and everything else.
Don't you mean "obligations" and "responsibilities?"
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #1068
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's obvious your posts are just trying to elicit a response. Otherwise known as trolling. If you can't have an actual discussion then this is over.

Going to go ahead and put you on my ignore list because I know you will respond with some snide condescending remark like you did the last time I tried to ditch this pointless debate.
I was serious. The rest of that article was a pretty wide elaboration on how widely this topic has been debated. What is clear is that there is a pretty strong association between mental illness and cannabis use.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #1069
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Don't you mean "obligations" and "responsibilities?"
I don't understand.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #1070
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand.
It was a poor attempt at a joke about the subjectiveness of those terms.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #1071
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

Look in the mirror first before you say such things. Yes Peter has been sarcastic at times (including you) but for the most part he has posted his evidence and tried to support it.

Last edited by Dion; 05-12-2016 at 04:09 PM. Reason: changes
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #1072
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Given the choice between living in a society that allows people to make bad choices, get ####ed up and die, or living in a bubble wrapped nanny state, I'm picking the first. Stripping individuals of their right to choose strips them of their potential for self actualization, this very idea was the foundation of Western civilization and the reason why the rest of the world is perpetually playing catch up to western innovation and culture.

e: you make very good arguments for why an individual should choose to not smoke weed, but I'm unconvinced that this should be something that should be enforced.

Last edited by Matata; 05-12-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #1073
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Given the choice between living in a society that allows people to make bad choices, get ####ed up and die, or living in a bubble wrapped nanny state, I'm picking the first. Stripping individuals of their right to choose strips them of their potential for self actualization, this very idea was the foundation of Western civilization and the reason why the rest of the world is perpetually playing catch up to western innovation and culture.

e: you make very good arguments for why an individual should choose to not smoke weed, but I'm unconvinced that this should be something that should be enforced.
It's a spectrum. I wouldn't want either society. We are increasingly living in the former, and ignoring a lot of the consequences.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #1074
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Despite the danger to children it's probably going to be legalized anyways which is why there should be more provisions in place. I've studied psychology way more in depth than most of you and it is true that it has negative effects on adolescent minds.

One joint is not the same as one beer thus it needs to be held out of reach, especially with the minds of todays youth. If someone has a history of mental illness, their family has mental illness or they are a high risk individual they should stay away from marijuana.

It's potential for medicinal benefits is equally rivaled by the damage such a strong psychoactive compound can cause. Worst of all is that it can trigger schizophrenia in people under ~22 years old, that's the true danger. If someone provides cannabis to a susceptible individual and alters their mind for live negatively, that is a big danger worth accounting for. Harsher penalties for those who provide to youth are necessary.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #1075
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's a spectrum. I wouldn't want either society. We are increasingly living in the former, and ignoring a lot of the consequences.
If we cut out everything in our society that has a 1/3000 chance for harm, there'd be nearly nothing left.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #1076
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If we cut out everything in our society that has a 1/3000 chance for harm, there'd be nearly nothing left.
Unless it is so easily preventable.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #1077
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unless it is so easily preventable.
What's your plan for preventing the use of marijuana, for kids or adults? I'd be interested to know how easy it is.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #1078
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Despite the danger to children it's probably going to be legalized anyways which is why there should be more provisions in place. I've studied psychology way more in depth than most of you and it is true that it has negative effects on adolescent minds.
Haha, we all just got BIG DEAL'D.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #1079
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If it was easily preventable, Nixon would have had this sorted out in the 70s.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #1080
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

We live in a society where people who make bad choices end in most cases trying to blame others for their choices. Examples: Smokers suing tobacco companies for the effects cigarettes has had on their health. If pot was legalised and the association between weed and psychosis was proven to be true those same individuals would sue also.

Tags
better than crack , bureaucracy , duuuuuude , funions , gateway , high drivers