Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
icon54 CWHL Team Alberta v. Boston Blades, Friday Feb 1 at 7pm

Come on down to the Saddledome tonight to watch the new look Alberta CWHL team play the Boston Blades. Tickets are free! Everyone at last night's game got to see this promoted so I hope to see everyone there come back tonight.

We'll get to see the team unveil it's new name, logo and colours.

This is the perfect Friday night for your friends, kids and family. Top notch Olympic hockey at no cost. We'll see Meghan Mikkelson who probably has the hardest shot in the league, Jenna Cunningham who is Alberta's grittiest player and Molly Schaus who is one of the best female goalies I've ever seen. I think the kids will especially love it.

Let's pack the house and watch the first CWHL game in a western NHL arena. The Toronto Furies were able to get 5000 fans into the ACC, we can definitely beat that!

Prizes, meal deals and great hockey. See you there!

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=653312

craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mikkelson's shot is harder than Ouellette's?
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Why are they team Alberta? That means they represent Mulletville also. I dont like it and cant get behind this product. I love everything Calgary, thats who i support!
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks to everyone that came out. Decent crowd and a fun night!
There was a huge silent auction and a good 50/50 prize too. All the money collected went to the team to help with operating costs.

The players aren't paid a salary, by the way. This needs to change in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
Mikkelson's shot is harder than Ouellette's?
A very good argument. Caroline Ouellette is big and has a lot of power. Shot for shot I would say they are comparable. Mikkelson is a defenseman and plays the point a lot so I get to see her shoot more often whereas Ouellette's a forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Why are they team Alberta? That means they represent Mulletville also. I dont like it and cant get behind this product. I love everything Calgary, thats who i support!
Not sure what this has anything to do with anything but when Alberta joined the CWHL it was an amalgamation of the WWHL teams from Edmonton and Strathmore. The majority of the games are played in Calgary at the excellent facilities at Winsport.

Last edited by craigwd; 02-02-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

^ So theyre a team from a bunch of other teams amalgamated into one. They play at Winsport in Calgary.

I still dont see why they arent a representation of Calgary specificly. I think it was a big marketing disaster from the second they chose the name for the team.

Are the players paid to play? If so, this team doesnt have the "legs" to go far in terms of financial profit and sustainability.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weren't they supposed to unveil a new name, logo and colours last night? From the measly 2 photos I could find online and looking at their twitter/facebook pages I get the impression that never actually happened.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thread title is just brutal. More info.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like the Facebook photos were taken with some sort of ancient camera from the 1800's.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
^ So theyre a team from a bunch of other teams amalgamated into one. They play at Winsport in Calgary.

I still dont see why they arent a representation of Calgary specificly. I think it was a big marketing disaster from the second they chose the name for the team.

Are the players paid to play? If so, this team doesnt have the "legs" to go far in terms of financial profit and sustainability.
They play in Calgary and Edmonton not just Winsport so branding them as a Calgary specific team probably wouldn't do wonders for them when they play in Edmonton.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
They play in Calgary and Edmonton not just Winsport so branding them as a Calgary specific team probably wouldn't do wonders for them when they play in Edmonton.
Well that explains a bit. Hey, Flames fans and Oiler fans, lets get together and watch some womens hockey. We're on the same side now... Puke..
Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Weren't they supposed to unveil a new name, logo and colours last night? From the measly 2 photos I could find online and looking at their twitter/facebook pages I get the impression that never actually happened.
From the info I received, the Flames haven't contacted the winner of the contest yet so it was delayed.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well that explains a bit. Hey, Flames fans and Oiler fans, lets get together and watch some womens hockey. We're on the same side now... Puke..
Really dude? You clearly take being a fan way to seriously? Do you struggle cheering for Team Alberta in others events against other provinces say because it represents Edmonton as well?
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I can just imagine the issues he has cheering for Team Canada, I mean on top of Oil fans, we add in Leaf fans and Canuck fans...*shudder*
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Right now the Oilers have no affiliation with Team Alberta so unless you are against Edmontonians in general...........
Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Team Alberta plays all over Alberta. They have a series coming up this weekend against Montreal in Llyodminster.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
From the info I received, the Flames haven't contacted the winner of the contest yet so it was delayed.
Delay a "major" announcement and unveiling because of a contest winner not being contacted yet? Seriously? Or is it the person who designed the jerseys? If tha'ts the case why in the hell would they announce it was being unveiled before contacting the winner? Either way its kind of pathetic and poor management.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Delay a "major" announcement and unveiling because of a contest winner not being contacted yet? Seriously? Or is it the person who designed the jerseys? If tha'ts the case why in the hell would they announce it was being unveiled before contacting the winner? Either way its kind of pathetic and poor management.
Let me see if I can take a crack at this mystery... Perhaps they announced the contest with an included date for unveiling the winning design, but because they are unable to get a hold of the winner and are therefore unable to unveil his design because of legal reasons, they had to delay the unveiling?

I dunno, I just kinda took the ball there and ran with it. You know. Thinking on my feet and all that.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seems to be a lot of whining from people with zero understanding and likely zero interest in this team.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #19
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

ThenBriar is coming up and in a fan. I support and cheer for Alberta whoever represents this fine province. It's juvenile to refuse to cheer for a team because it consists of players from a city you hate. Do you folks cheer against Canada in the Olympics or other international event for this reason?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #20
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Let me see if I can take a crack at this mystery... Perhaps they announced the contest with an included date for unveiling the winning design, but because they are unable to get a hold of the winner and are therefore unable to unveil his design because of legal reasons, they had to delay the unveiling?

I dunno, I just kinda took the ball there and ran with it. You know. Thinking on my feet and all that.
They could have covered that with fine print or a waiver when entering the contest. Would have prevented such a situation.

Simple fact is they don't have their #### together.

Tags
cwhl , women hockey