Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2016, 02:24 PM   #121
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryrocks View Post
I don't know if they ran a surplus, but I would imagine that would go back into the reserve to help in years such as this year when revenues will be down...and if they did apply the surplus it would only be for one year and you would still be paying for the green cart eventually.
If I am not mistaken, the carbon tax is entirely from the provincial government, good luck getting them to give that to the cities for already planned projects such as this. We have no idea what the prov gov't is going to do with the carbon tax
True but the provincial government already has its hand in the municipal purse. Property taxes are I think payed to the province first for education and then the city receives the rest, or something like that. Education is provincial. Property taxes sort of aren't.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #122
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Not really. It's been brought up numerous times on cp. You can read about the same type of thing in the Calgary next thread or in the ring road thread. Some people believe they shouldn't pay for the ring road because they don't use it. It's also been brought up in the suburb and parasite town thread. It was also discussed when city art and the giant ring was brought up and why should we pay for it.
And yet here you are complaining that something you don't want must be a cash grab.

So do you think that your complaint is somehow different or are you saying that all those other things are cash grabs too?
Old 05-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #123
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
And yet here you are complaining that something you don't want must be a cash grab.

So do you think that your complaint is somehow different or are you saying that all those other things are cash grabs too?
I'm complaining about yet another one added to the list. Nothing wrong with holding the city accountable for it's spending and questioning what they're doing with the publics money.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #124
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
I'm complaining about yet another one added to the list. Nothing wrong with holding the city accountable for it's spending and questioning what they're doing with the publics money.
Except you are handwaving this as a cash grab, and you are against it because you don't see the value in it. Then when people call you out on it, you say "Yeah well people said the same thing about the ring road, and overpasses, and art".

So are you saying that those people are right and that people shouldn't have to pay for services they don't use/see the value in.
Or are you saying that they had invalid points, but even though you are making the same argument that you are somehow justified in doing so.

Because unless I'm missing something, if it isn't one of those, then bringing up those things is completely irrelevant.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #125
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He's bringing up other issues he was against.

Serial complainer. Reminder of what the electorate looks like.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #126
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash walken View Post
he's bringing up other cash grabs he was against.

fyp
Old 05-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #127
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Let's keep the discussion about the issue, not about a word used two pages ago. When we discussed the issue, one of my arguments was defeated with some nice facts that I didn't know before.

I can fully appreciate a certain level of snarkiness in our replies (such as Bill Bumface's)- however we shouldn't go full gorilla on this one.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:28 PM   #128
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not sure if this would apply to many here but I thought it was worth mentioning..

I built a small "partition" (fence panel) in the back corner of my yard where I keep all three of my bins. The reason being, so I don't have to look at them when I'm in my yard relaxing and also because I find it annoying going back and fourth through the gate when doing yard work etc, which I would be doing constantly if I kept my bins in the alley.

I put my bins out the day before pickup and bring them back in when they've been emptied. So, In my case, the truck will drive right past my property if there are no bins that need to be emptied, which in the case of my black bin is on average once a month.

I've been part of the green bin pilot program and am in favor of the green bin, in my case it makes a huge difference in the amount of debris I put in the black bin.

Bins are all awesome no matter what their color!!!
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #129
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I built a cutout in my alley for mine and leave them there because the back yard is a few steps above and it would be a pain to bring them back. I try to signal to the garbage collector it is empty by turning it 90 degrees and putting it against the fence but for some reason I think he takes this as a challenge and I always find the bin on it's side when I get home. Maybe they should have flags on them like the old mailboxes.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #130
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like the idea.
Looking through the list of what goes in the green bin, it looks like my black bin will have mostly soiled diapers, which over a two week period between collections should be considered toxic waste.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #131
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
He's bringing up other issues he was against.

It looks the exact same as yours but the opposite side. I have no problem if you support the green bin idea but why not write valid reasons why you support them instead of starting personal attacks like shantz. This is a discussion forum isn't it where everybody is entitled to their views?

Care to describe what the electorate looks like in your opinion?

Last edited by stampsx2; 05-30-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:08 PM   #132
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I'm getting black bin service only half as often (and presumably less stuff) will the cowt of garbage c9llection go down?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #133
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
If I'm getting black bin service only half as often (and presumably less stuff) will the cowt of garbage c9llection go down?

Doubt it. That was one of our discussion topics.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #134
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I built a cutout in my alley for mine and leave them there because the back yard is a few steps above and it would be a pain to bring them back. I try to signal to the garbage collector it is empty by turning it 90 degrees and putting it against the fence but for some reason I think he takes this as a challenge and I always find the bin on it's side when I get home. Maybe they should have flags on them like the old mailboxes.
I was wondering if/how people let the drivers know if their bin doesn't need to be emptied. A flag or some kind of indicator would be a great idea. They must lift and tip a lot of bins that have none or very little contents.

On another note, I have had to call 311 and get replacement bins due to damage (splits, cracks holes) 4 or 5 times? I have witnessed on a couple of occasions where the driver doesn't place the bin in the upright position and then just drives off leaving the bin in the alley waiting to get creamed by a vehicle. This is frustrating because these thick plastic bins can't be cheap and the city usually has a new one dropped off within a few days.
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #135
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post

Sort of. Organics pick ups real cost is $9 per month. The savings in garbage is being allocated to organics but instead of lowering garbage and showing the true cost of organics they chose to hide it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:15 PM   #136
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it is a go...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...608192?cmp=rss
Not sure if that was posted before. Anyone know if they will be larger carts? I heard the pilot project ones were half the size of the black, and people complained the were to small. The problem is, there isn't a lot of space. I'd be happy to swap my black one for one half the size.

The other thing I guess I don't like is I already home compost, so this means splitting the stuff I compost form the stuff the city does, and having...another kitchen bin...oh well.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:27 PM   #137
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can't wait for the additional bin to put my extra garbage in.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:35 AM   #138
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So it is a go...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...608192?cmp=rss
Not sure if that was posted before. Anyone know if they will be larger carts? I heard the pilot project ones were half the size of the black, and people complained the were to small. The problem is, there isn't a lot of space. I'd be happy to swap my black one for one half the size.

The other thing I guess I don't like is I already home compost, so this means splitting the stuff I compost form the stuff the city does, and having...another kitchen bin...oh well.
I just heard the city waste manager on the CBC radio morning show say that it isn't decided yet, but will likely be the same size as the other bins to allow more efficient pickups. That makes sense to me from a parts standardization point of view.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #139
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope my cutout area is big enough, would hate to have to re-do it a third time. I measured it for the smaller size green bin thinking I'd not have to do it again! Will measure tonight. Interesting you mention standardization becuase from what I recall, the black bin is bigger than the blue.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #140
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Hope my cutout area is big enough, would hate to have to re-do it a third time. I measured it for the smaller size green bin thinking I'd not have to do it again! Will measure tonight. Interesting you mention standardization becuase from what I recall, the black bin is bigger than the blue.
One is bigger, but the pickup points are the same. I think that is all the city really needs to standardize between bins.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post: