Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2024, 03:14 PM   #1641
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFlame View Post
This team can’t hit. It hasn’t hit in almost two years. I don’t care that somebody gets on base 3.7 times out of 10 if the guy after him can’t hit him in.

Team can’t hit. Team needs different hitters.
Yeah, we're acting like this season is unexpected and heads must role. It's very expected. I mean sure they could have had literally everything go right and be doing okay, but how often does that happen for teams?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:27 PM   #1642
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, we're acting like this season is unexpected and heads must role. It's very expected. I mean sure they could have had literally everything go right and be doing okay, but how often does that happen for teams?
I think most outside of management knew that the Jays had a a terrible off season and the team that was lacklustre last year was worse of this year. We are just hoping they maximize what they have here, now. But it seems they are content to do everything they can to not even try and compete. Almost like the last year under Sutter. Yeah, sub par roster but made worse by poor coaching and management decisions.

It just makes no sense.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:32 PM   #1643
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaloper View Post
So far the Jays have 1 hit, I don't think it matters on the order. Hell at this point I'd just use a random order everyday might actually throw a wrench into the opposition as they won't know whats coming...
Well, I hate Schneider so I am going to rag on him ever chance I get. But I commented in another post it just feels like they, Schneider is not even trying to help his team compete. Constantly changing lineups, moving guys around, playing guys in positions they are not comfortable in, batting guys in the wrong spots. Just non sense from management. Honestly, without Walker and the pitching staff this team might not have a win this season.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:33 PM   #1644
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I picked a bad season to try and be more engaged with baseball...
Old 05-01-2024, 04:14 PM   #1645
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's a bit unexpected...in terms of who can't hit.

Turner has been surprisingly good, and guys like IKF, Biggio, Schneider, Clement, etc have been fine in their depth / bench roles.

Even Varsho has maybe been better than expected.

The real issue is that Guerrero didn't bounce back, Bichette is having a rough season, and Springer continued his struggles from late last season.

Those are your three highest paid outfield players and they combine for $56M of salary.

And right now they have a combined 7 home runs, 76 hits, and a .217 batting average.

You can't trade them all...so they really should be firing the manager and hitting coach to see if anything can spark those 3. Because you're D.O.A if they keep this up.

(They also needed to add another bat to help protect those guys...but you could argue Turner has actually provided that).
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 05:01 PM   #1646
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least the Jays won't lose tomorrow. #GlassHalfFull
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:31 PM   #1647
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pro sports are a tough one for the coaches. You have to have your teams back but you also have to carry the company line from above. We all know this team is awful. Schneider just can’t come out and say it which is unfortunate. In many ways I don’t think anyone thought they’d be this bad where their typical game is one or two runs scored. So in many ways they probably can’t get worse but it’s clear something is wrong. I laugh when some commentators talk about the Rogers Centre saying let’s see how the ball carries with the renovations. What? It’s an enclosed dome. There is no wind substantial enough to be affected by the renovations. Just total losers at every level including the media.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:38 PM   #1648
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't worry guys, Schneider says for the 1848559595789th time since he took over from the last dud manager that it's going to come. We just have to be patient.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1785800027996049453
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:44 PM   #1649
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately it's getting closer to the point where no matter what Schneider does or tells the players, without results, and the fact that Schneider hasn't had MLB managerial experience for the players to trust him, they are going to tune him out...and he will get the heave.

Unfortunate because although he's a nice guy, while also not the manager the Jays were ever going to have to get to that next level, it's going to distract from the real reason, that the organization falsely assumed they had a few stars that dont need their hand held/ more organizational support, which they clearly do, and that's brought the whole team down.

Starting pitching has been lights out, but this has to wear on them too, worrying that they have to give less then 2 or 3 runs.

But it needs to happen within the month if the .500 record persists, to get another voiceon there, telling most of the players that their stealing fans money for their pathetic approach at the plate and overall offense.

Last edited by browna; 05-01-2024 at 06:47 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:59 PM   #1650
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I preferred Montoyo. At least he was likeable.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:49 PM   #1651
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It's a bit unexpected...in terms of who can't hit.

Turner has been surprisingly good, and guys like IKF, Biggio, Schneider, Clement, etc have been fine in their depth / bench roles.

Even Varsho has maybe been better than expected.

The real issue is that Guerrero didn't bounce back, Bichette is having a rough season, and Springer continued his struggles from late last season.

Those are your three highest paid outfield players and they combine for $56M of salary.

And right now they have a combined 7 home runs, 76 hits, and a .217 batting average.

You can't trade them all...so they really should be firing the manager and hitting coach to see if anything can spark those 3. Because you're D.O.A if they keep this up.

(They also needed to add another bat to help protect those guys...but you could argue Turner has actually provided that).
Yeah. Turner has been better than expected. I thought starting pitching might regress a bit and the batting would bounce back, making them on net a bit worse than last year after replacing Chapman with IKF.

Instead Turner has been great, but the top of the lineup has been terrible. At this point they should have those guys batting last just so they're getting less at bats because they're hurting the team. Bo has the 10th highest OPS at 0.557. There are 4 infielders, 3 outfielders, 1 C and 1 DH hitting better than him - you could make a reasonable argument based on performance he should be a bench player. Vladdy at 0.683 playing 1B is replacement level.

Basically starting pitching has still been great and batting got worse, so they're looking like 82-84 wins instead of 89.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:00 AM   #1652
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

yeah Turner has been great and Varsho leads the team in HRs

But top 3 in the order really struggling.

Why don't they try Varsho leading off?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:54 AM   #1653
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Springer, Vlad and Bo are tanking the season for the Jays

If they don't wake up the season is already over.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:18 PM   #1654
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Happy blue jays can't lose day, everyone!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 09:23 PM   #1655
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm so we face Corbin tomorrow. Surely the bats will wake up and smack him around like most teams do.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:33 PM   #1656
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
yeah Turner has been great and Varsho leads the team in HRs

But top 3 in the order really struggling.

Why don't they try Varsho leading off?
Varsho
Schneider
Clement
Turner
Janssen
Vladdy
Biggio
Springer
Bichette
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote