Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
J-Rhombus
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Icon39 Looking for a good place to get a puppy

So I know there are humane societies and shelters, but it seems hard to get a puppy there, especially if you're looking for any more specific type of breed.

At the same time, breeders are scary as it's hard to tell what kind of conditions they keep their puppies in until you're there, and even then it may be hard to tell as you only see what they let you see.

Does anyone have a reliable way to find a puppy if you're looking for a specific breed in a place that allows you to do some due diligence? My sister found hers on Kijiji, but seemed to luck out a bit with the transparency with which the seller conducted herself.

Any ideas? Looking for the brain trust to weigh in.

J-Rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would join Alberta or Western Canada forums of the breed you are interested in and ask the questions there. Out of curiosity what breed are you looking at?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Man I opened this thread in a hurry. "This is going to be the greatest thread ever"

Then I looked at my glasses and said

"Maybe my prescription is wrong.

Puppies are awesome though.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

your budget may also limit you as breeders tend to be expensive - while other options (human society, rescue dogs placed etc) are less.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Breeders are cesspools. Make a dog's life and adopt one from a shelter. Breeders should all be banned IMO.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Banned and then made to live in their dogs kennels eating slop in their own feaces, maybe if they're good hose them out once a month.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is where you need to look...

https://www.ckc.ca/en/Breeding-Dogs#

They have info and breeders for every breed out there. And they have some standards in place too. Not all breeders are bad. In fact most are probably not bad. But the ones that are really suck.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

You sound like you're set on getting a particular breed, but if you're flexible on that I recommend trying some of the rescue foundations (ARF, AARCS). You absolutely can get young puppies (3 mo) if you're patient and you have a good profile (responsible, secure yard, don't have a puppy mill in the basement). You can't get exact breeds, but you'll have some notion of parentage. Of course, it's best if you're okay with the common mixes recovered by rescue foundations - german shephards, labs, rotweillers, etc.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Breeders are cesspools. Make a dog's life and adopt one from a shelter. Breeders should all be banned IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Banned and then made to live in their dogs kennels eating slop in their own feaces, maybe if they're good hose them out once a month.
Are you guys talking about puppy mills or just people who breed dogs in general? There are loads of reputable and reliable breeders out there IMO.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Try here http://aarcs.ca/adoptable-dogs/

We were able to get a puppy, I'm not sure which breed you are looking for but if you get your dog here be sure and tell everyone you got a rescue they will love you for it.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #11
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Are you guys talking about puppy mills or just people who breed dogs in general? There are loads of reputable and reliable breeders out there IMO.
I can only assume they may have confused real breeders with puppy mills. I don't consider puppy mils as reputable breeders.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to a shelter.

Get a mutt

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 02:02 PM   #13
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Check out one of the rescue organizations like Pawsitive Match or AARCS.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #14
J-Rhombus
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I suppose our only requirement is something that will stay relatively small. I am definitely not opposed to a rescue, definitely opposed to a puppy mill. Just find that puppies go very quick at shelters.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:06 PM   #15
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rhombus View Post
I suppose our only requirement is something that will stay relatively small. I am definitely not opposed to a rescue, definitely opposed to a puppy mill. Just find that puppies go very quick at shelters.
In our experience on both sides of the border the very young puppies are hard to come by at shelters or they are in and out quickly...no surprise given puppies are cute.

However, there are typically a number of 9-12 month old dogs which is also a great age to adopt. Given this is the heart of adolescence for most dogs they can tend to be scraggly, leggy messes and aren't the cute puppy or handsome 2 year old dog so they do get looked over more than they probably should.

Last edited by ernie; 05-30-2017 at 03:09 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #16
J-Rhombus
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
In our experience on both sides of the border the very young puppies are hard to come by at shelters or they are in and out quickly...no surprise given puppies are cute.

However, there are typically a number of 9-12 month old dogs which is also a great age to adopt. Given this is the heart of adolescence for most dogs they can tend to be scraggly, leggy messes and aren't the cute puppy or handsome 2 year old dog so they do get looked over more than they probably should.
This is good to know! We will keep our eye out on that front too

Old 05-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #17
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
At the same time, breeders are scary as it's hard to tell what kind of conditions they keep their puppies in until you're there, and even then it may be hard to tell as you only see what they let you see.
You're joking, right? Any reasonable breeder will let you visit and check out the place and meet the puppies. We saw our dog repeatedly before we got to take her home.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #18
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
You're joking, right? Any reasonable breeder will let you visit and check out the place and meet the puppies. We saw our dog repeatedly before we got to take her home.
That's true but changing now. There have been a bunch of parvo outbreaks in Alberta so lots of breeders won't let you come for visits anymore. They make up for it in different ways but it might not be the best idea to have other people and especially dogs around.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #19
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
As mentioned, AARCS is a great organization. If you're looking for a small dog, there's Little Mutts Rescue, also a great organization.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #20
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
That's true but changing now. There have been a bunch of parvo outbreaks in Alberta so lots of breeders won't let you come for visits anymore. They make up for it in different ways but it might not be the best idea to have other people and especially dogs around.
Those terrible people, trying to keep their dogs disease free!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:

Tags
dog , puppy