Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #341
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must say I do prefer traveling in countries where tipping isn't the custom. The workers are already paid well and things are accounted for in the prices. Makes things a lot easier.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 12:00 PM   #342
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

speaking of tipping, door dash is saying the quiet part out loud. People already knew this was happening with food delivery companies, so I guess it's now official.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/08/opini...ntz/index.html

“Orders with no tip might take longer to get delivered — are you sure you want to continue?” This message is currently prompted to some customers placing an order without adding a tip.

t even clarifies the potential consequences for not tipping. “Dashers can pick and choose which orders they want to do. Orders that take longer to be accepted by Dashers tend to result in a slower delivery.” (Dashers are the company’s name for those who deliver orders.)

I don’t see much ambiguity in this language. It reads like a promise and a threat, laying out the new social contract. Rather than tipping as a voluntary gift following good service, we are being asked to tip before our order (and tip well, because we’re competing with other customers), or we can expect worse service.

it’s another matter for DoorDash to state this explicitly in an attempt to persuade customers to tip more. The language here seems intent on pushing the platform as a tool for customers to negotiate service fees from its “independent contractors” while still using a term such as “tips” in a context that bears little relation to how most restaurant customers view the term.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:01 PM   #343
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can tipping culture ####ing die already, geezus christ
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 12:01 PM   #344
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly can't believe these services survive.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:05 PM   #345
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh no....she's coming....
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 12:06 PM   #346
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
oh no....she's coming....
do you need to tip if your don't get enough ranch dressing

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:10 PM   #347
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not a "tip" it's a user decided service fee. Pay more, food comes faster. Pay less, food is slower. It's nice they are being honest and upfront about what everyone knew was happening(thoguh they should change it from tip to remove any ambiguity). If you don't like this, do what I do. Don't use them.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 12:18 PM   #348
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
speaking of tipping, door dash is saying the quiet part out loud. People already knew this was happening with food delivery companies, so I guess it's now official.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/08/opini...ntz/index.html

“Orders with no tip might take longer to get delivered — are you sure you want to continue?” This message is currently prompted to some customers placing an order without adding a tip.

t even clarifies the potential consequences for not tipping. “Dashers can pick and choose which orders they want to do. Orders that take longer to be accepted by Dashers tend to result in a slower delivery.” (Dashers are the company’s name for those who deliver orders.)

I don’t see much ambiguity in this language. It reads like a promise and a threat, laying out the new social contract. Rather than tipping as a voluntary gift following good service, we are being asked to tip before our order (and tip well, because we’re competing with other customers), or we can expect worse service.

it’s another matter for DoorDash to state this explicitly in an attempt to persuade customers to tip more. The language here seems intent on pushing the platform as a tool for customers to negotiate service fees from its “independent contractors” while still using a term such as “tips” in a context that bears little relation to how most restaurant customers view the term.
I tried out DD for a bit this year as a side gig. Did >200 orders, so I have a good feel for how that platform works from a driver's perspective. The driver has 100% control of whether to accept a job or not. You see the amount of tip given prior to accepting. For me it comes down to accepting a job if it pays 1km = $1. If it is that rate, I accept it. If not, declined.

Sometimes you'll see an order that you declined pop back up with a bit of a bump in pay as DD will slowly increase the base pay. But the important thing to note is that whether you tip or not has absolutely no effect on your delivery coming to you quicker. Absolutely none. A slow delivery 99% of the time means the restaurant is behind on your order and the driver is stuck waiting for it to be ready.

DD tries to time it out based on your distance from the pickup location so that when you are notified, by the time you arrive at the restaurnt it's ready. I've had orders where the customer tips quite a bit, but had to wait 20 mins to have it ready for pick up. In those cases I've felt bad for the customer. Reaching out to them about the delay via the app usually grants you forgiveness from the customer. I have also picked up orders with no tip that are ready right away.

Honestly, I'm not sure what DD is trying to accomplish by stating this, but I figure that it's them wanting to keep a bigger piece of the base pay that they would otherwise allocate to you if your order had no tip. Increasing the tip does NOTHING to make the restaurant work faster. From my experience, this is 100% DD looking to keep more of the base pay for themselves, and having the extra tip offset that. Basically, DD is a dog#### company that lying by suggesting that if you don't tip, you will wait longer. By tipping, they reduce the basepay to the driver and increase profits. This is a PR stunt to increase profit margins, nothing more.

If you read the r/doordash subreddit, there are plenty of horror stories about the shadiness of the company and the lengths they go to rip off not only customers, but drivers. There are also plenty of horror stories of drivers harassing customers for tips and straight up being #######s if they don't get a tip (messaging sob stories to customers, writing them asking for extra cash when they arrive, etc). Maybe DD is trying to eliminate that due to customers no longer using the service.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 12:20 PM   #349
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

With rising restaurant prices, pre "tipping" and all the service fee's with using skip/uber eats I decided the other night to drive the 10 minutes to a local shawarma place to get take out. Now you'd expect a typical shararma place to take what... 5, 10, maybe 15 minutes to make 2 wraps and an order of rice but I ####ing sat there for nearly 40 minutes waiting for my take out order as they served no less than a dozen skip/uber drivers. WTF!

So now the option is wait forever to go in and get takeout OR pay up extra tip money to get your food via skip/uber. Got it.

And the entire parking lot was constant uber/skip drivers coming and going to multiple restaurants. It was nuts! We don't order out much but will be certainly doing it even less moving forward.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:34 PM   #350
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prices have definitely gone up at restaurants (especially over the last couple years), 'shrinkflation' is definitely a thing with food now, and the app delivery services have become too expensive with all their fees. I just cook more at home now, and not only is it cheaper / better value, it's fun too. Make a night out of it, watch a movie or listen to music while doing so.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:36 PM   #351
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were in a burger joint a few weeks ago. After ordering at the counter I went to the bathroom. Came back to find that my wife had accepted the 20% tip option. I had to school her on tipping at fast-food places where there is no table service.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 01:43 PM   #352
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's not a "tip" it's a user decided service fee. Pay more, food comes faster. Pay less, food is slower. It's nice they are being honest and upfront about what everyone knew was happening(thoguh they should change it from tip to remove any ambiguity). If you don't like this, do what I do. Don't use them.
This is where the term bribe should be used. It's like giving the guy at the front desk a $20 bill so you can get the $300/night room for $200/night or bribing the car rental guy for a free upgrade. He pockets the cash and you get a better deal than everyone else.

A similar thing happens in a lot of developing nations. Bribe Tip the government official and your development permits get approved faster with less oversight.

Personally, I am not a fan of the above system.
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 01:50 PM   #353
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Could see an Onion article on this.

Studies show tipping amounts for prepared food delivery services are inversely proportional to extraneous semen levels.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 01:54 PM   #354
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I tried out DD for a bit this year as a side gig. Did >200 orders, so I have a good feel for how that platform works from a driver's perspective. The driver has 100% control of whether to accept a job or not. You see the amount of tip given prior to accepting. For me it comes down to accepting a job if it pays 1km = $1. If it is that rate, I accept it. If not, declined.

Sometimes you'll see an order that you declined pop back up with a bit of a bump in pay as DD will slowly increase the base pay. But the important thing to note is that whether you tip or not has absolutely no effect on your delivery coming to you quicker. Absolutely none. A slow delivery 99% of the time means the restaurant is behind on your order and the driver is stuck waiting for it to be ready.

DD tries to time it out based on your distance from the pickup location so that when you are notified, by the time you arrive at the restaurnt it's ready. I've had orders where the customer tips quite a bit, but had to wait 20 mins to have it ready for pick up. In those cases I've felt bad for the customer. Reaching out to them about the delay via the app usually grants you forgiveness from the customer. I have also picked up orders with no tip that are ready right away.

Honestly, I'm not sure what DD is trying to accomplish by stating this, but I figure that it's them wanting to keep a bigger piece of the base pay that they would otherwise allocate to you if your order had no tip. Increasing the tip does NOTHING to make the restaurant work faster. From my experience, this is 100% DD looking to keep more of the base pay for themselves, and having the extra tip offset that. Basically, DD is a dog#### company that lying by suggesting that if you don't tip, you will wait longer. By tipping, they reduce the basepay to the driver and increase profits. This is a PR stunt to increase profit margins, nothing more.

If you read the r/doordash subreddit, there are plenty of horror stories about the shadiness of the company and the lengths they go to rip off not only customers, but drivers. There are also plenty of horror stories of drivers harassing customers for tips and straight up being #######s if they don't get a tip (messaging sob stories to customers, writing them asking for extra cash when they arrive, etc). Maybe DD is trying to eliminate that due to customers no longer using the service.
They're saying that if you don't tip, your delivery will be slow because dashers won't accept your delivery. So it'll get passed over by other, more lucrative orders coming in.

It's turning into a bidding system.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:02 PM   #355
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
They're saying that if you don't tip, your delivery will be slow because dashers won't accept your delivery. So it'll get passed over by other, more lucrative orders coming in.

It's turning into a bidding system.
As it should. These companies exploit their drivers so drivers should have complete control. Uber is the only company who actually offers insurance and Intact is the only insurer who will provide actual coverage for drivers (only uber).

Unless you have a commercial insurance policy which is very expensive and would take all profits out of this side gig, everytime your food gets dropped off there is the possibility that someone's is filing for bankruptcy after their insurance company sues them for improper coverage resulting in an accident.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:15 PM   #356
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can’t imagine not tipping a food delivery person.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:31 PM   #357
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
But now it's not a tip. It's a bidding system where you're trying to outbid other customers for timely delivery.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 02:42 PM   #358
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

What was your experience overall of being a DD driver? I had thought of doing it for fun on a random weeknight or weekend when I had nothing to do and it feels kind of like doing a videogame fetch quest that actually earns a little bit of money. I drive an EV so fuel consumption or distance is of no concern.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:49 PM   #359
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I like the tip to relate to the quality of service. Not bidding for acceptance of the service.

If you put my order of Pho/Ramen/Soup/etc. tight to my outswing screen door and I have to knock it over to get it, then I might dock a few cents off my tip.

If you deliver to my neighbour, I might dock a few cents off my tip.

If you sit in your car and have the company call me asking me why I haven't gone outside to go get it, I might dock a few cents off my tip.

If you try to deliver to my garage door in the alley, I might dock a few cents off my tip.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 04:00 PM   #360
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We are living in a very very fragmented world at the moment with respect to food in general. I don't have the food delivery apps myself but I grew up in the restaurant business and did a lot of delivery of pizza/pasta/salads and more growing up in the family business.

Previously people had very little random choice for food delivery options. Pizza, pasta, Chinese/Asian maybe the odd BBQ or something similar.

The idea that people would be getting steaks, seafood, 2 eggs, coffee, toast or insane things like a single dipping sauce for .99 + $5 delivery + tip etc. Everything is available for delivery when a lot of things just shouldn't be delivered, end of ****ing story.

We have fragmentation across the board. For the longest time the delivery apps would side with the customer and have plenty of charge backs to restaurant's accounts for things like soup, eggs, steaks, seafood, coffee etc arriving across town "cold" and people would complain. Well sure enough, if people want to have 2 egg's delivered multiple km's away and expect them to be sizzling hot, well get ******. Restaurant's are done with the BS and are pushing back.

On the driver side, well a lot of people want everything delivered cause of pure stupidity and laziness. A LOT of people think they can get away with tipping $1 or $2 on a slurpee, eggs, a single steak or whatever. As if there is a HUGE demand for people who want to be waiting around for those items at places in the winter, going up and down stairs, elevators, fighting traffic, dealing with auto expenses and more for a $1 or 2. That is a LOT of slurpee order's to deliver in order for you to feed your family a roast beef dinner at home. So the drivers are saying to the clients, pay up or buzz off.

Your average Joe you virtually doesn't cook anymore and has become accustomed to having everything delivered now is also getting squeezed. How much should you realistically tip on a very small order of less than $10? $1, 2, 10? People used to tip $3-5 for a few pizzas or whatever a long time ago, now people are expecting way larger tips on small orders.

Too many issues with the food apps for everybody involved which is why slowly everybody is hating them. Service sucks, costs are high for everybody, the food is cold or delivered to wrong addresses, the businesses are done with the 20+% fee's for absolutely nothing in terms of sales ,support and service. Everybody is pissed off.

Life would be easier if we just fried up 2 eggs at home and bbq'ed our own steak
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post: