Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #21
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

It irks me to no end you can't combine the few dollars left on pre-paid credit cards into one. I always use PPCC's for online shopping and online poker and I must have over a $100.00 in small denominations left over.

I guess I could go to Mac's and by a slurpy or something but it's still stupid non the less.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #22
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is why it helps to add a couple stores you like for GC's when folks ask for 'a list'. I always include "Gift Cards to Chapters/Indigo or the LEGO store." on mine, and I get cards from there. So no worries about over or underspending, going to stores/restaurants you don't normally go to and that sort of thing.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:01 AM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely a tough call.

If you have mature friends who pretty well have everything they need/want, then its hard to buy them meaningful gifts.

I have one friend who travels a lot, so as a gift I gave him cash that converted into the currency where he was going.

Huge mistake. Yuge. There was a big currency difference between when I got him the money and when he went.

You can give people cash while still being thoughtful.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:58 AM   #24
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's your wife. You don't give giftcards to your wife.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 07:01 AM   #25
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
So my wife received a gift card for Christmas and its for a store that she's indifferent to. Mid January, she hasnt touched it at all. When i brought it up, she said she would've preferred an actual gift so she wouldnt have to go through the work of shopping at that particular store. Also she just felt it was a lazy thing to do than to actually think of something she would've loved to get as a gift

Personally, i love gift cards cause Cash seems too easy of a cop out and you can get whatever you want with said gift card.
It's also to easy for the gift giver to mess up on whatever physical gift you get

Just wondering what everyone prefers here
wife should be happy that a gift was given at all . not the gift givers fault she is too lazy to go to the store. the person thought of your wife in positive terms and made the effort to do something for her.

cash is good for weddings, rude and insulting for a christmas gift. that's the gift that says I don't give a crap about you and I couldn't even bother going to safeway for a gift card.

I always think it's better to get a gift card for a store you wouldn't normally go to than get a crappy gift. at least with the card you get a chance to get something you want. what would your wife do if a gift was lousy from that person? throw it in the closet or garbage?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

A good friend got married a couple of years ago. I collected stacks of blank Home Depot gift cards.

All during the reception people, even children, were handing these gift cards to the happy couple. There must have been 100 cards. Some of them were legitimate, so they had to go to Home Depot to get them all scanned.

I think my friend would say they prefer cash.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

After years of my wife either not using or returning gifts that I bought her, she now makes a list for me and I go and buy everything on the list. She always sets a budget, but I just buy everything on the list, plus a gift card at her favourite clothing store.

This works out well, I blow the budget and then I actually get something good, as she sets the budget too low. I go out and buy anything small when I need it, so other than larger items, I don't have much that I want at Christmas.

Second, she hates spending money, but always complains about her clothes (except stuff that she's bought at this store) so this makes her go out and get things that she wants.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #28
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
So my wife received a gift card for Christmas and its for a store that she's indifferent to. Mid January, she hasnt touched it at all. When i brought it up, she said she would've preferred an actual gift so she wouldnt have to go through the work of shopping at that particular store. Also she just felt it was a lazy thing to do than to actually think of something she would've loved to get as a gift

Personally, i love gift cards cause Cash seems too easy of a cop out and you can get whatever you want with said gift card.
It's also to easy for the gift giver to mess up on whatever physical gift you get

Just wondering what everyone prefers here
Sorry, I just thought this was funny. She's too lazy to shop for herself with her free money card, but calls someone else out on being too lazy to shop for her.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I for adults I like to give gift cards for places like say the Keg. Everyone loves a free meal at a decent restaurant. Putting thought into it still leads to plenty of gifts going straight into the closet or basement storage and if I'm going to spend money I would rather the person get to choose something they will use.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #30
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gift cards are nice because it forces me to spend money and not feel bad about getting myself something nice. Cash I'm more likely to save. I'd feel a lot worse about spending $200 at the mall with cash than I do with a gift card.

That said, I don't really have a preference.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #31
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I for adults I like to give gift cards for places like say the Keg. Everyone loves a free meal at a decent restaurant. Putting thought into it still leads to plenty of gifts going straight into the closet or basement storage and if I'm going to spend money I would rather the person get to choose something they will use.
*obviously did not read my post.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #32
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I don't understand how buying a gift card is lazy. You still have to travel to that store and buy them the gift card as opposed to guessing what the person wants and buying it. Both take pretty much the exact same time and thought.
I think the "lazy" part comes from guessing what the person might want, as opposed to finding out. We used to do a gift exchange between cousins, and part of the fun was finding out more about what that person liked or didn't like. So in my case- a lazy gift would be a Best Buy gift card. However finding out I was into craft beer, going to Willow Park and putting together a sample pack of beer would be better.

Going back to the Best Buy card- being a tech person there's always something I could get at Best Buy. However in the past I've received Chapters gift cards, and I don't really read. So that ends up being a waste. I have received a couple of good books before; once again based upon a cousin finding out my specific interests. Best one was a hockey book, broken up into 5-10 page snipits. My cousin knowing I like hockey but don't really read found that book would be great for me.

So getting a gift card isn't always lazy- it depends on if there has been any thought put into the process.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #33
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really don't mind the non-merchandise gift cards, restaurants, movies, coffee etc. Honestly I have enough "stuff" in my life, and a mid level restaurant or Starbucks card feels like more of a gift/treat to me.

Having said that, the one year at Christmas I ended up with about $250 in mixed gift cards from my employer... and honestly I'd have rather had the cash, even if it meant being taxed.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #34
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I love gift cards. Cash can be spent on anything but you likely won't remember what you bought with that money. A gift card is nice because you have to buy something from that store/mall and you'll usually remember you bought a pair of runners or whatever. That's what a gift should be, something you remember.
Definitely this. A few years ago when I was still in university, I definitely preferred cash, what broke student doesn't? But now that I'm actually capable of comfortably supporting myself, I'd much rather have a gift card. You're right, cash gifts just goes to daily things like gas, groceries, booze, etc...that's not fun (well, the booze part is). A card makes me get a gift I need.

So I guess it depends on your situation. If you're a broke student or just in a pinch, cash. But if you feel comfortable in that regard, GC.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #35
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

The key to a good gift card giving, is to give them about $10-$20 at a restaurant like The Keg. They will thank you for the thoughtful gift, which makes you feel good. They also have to pay for for almost the entire meal, maybe one they would have had at home, and all you've done is cover the tip. Basically you've given them the gift of making them spend their own money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #36
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a bummer of a thread. If people give me a gift I am thankful that someone was thoughtful enough to give me a gift. How depressing to find out that others find a way to make something like this so miserable.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #37
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
I really don't mind the non-merchandise gift cards, restaurants, movies, coffee etc. Honestly I have enough "stuff" in my life, and a mid level restaurant or Starbucks card feels like more of a gift/treat to me.
I agree. At the age where I can't even think of something I want so I prefer gift cards that relate to travel/experience (hotel or restaurant). Especially if it is a restaurant I haven't been to but have always wanted to try. Makes me stop putting it off and make a plan to go. I think now days it is so easy to get GC to pretty much any restaurants (to print out or get a physical mailed) that you aren't stuck with the chain restaurants (Bp's, Milestone, Tony Roma's etc).
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #38
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
It's your wife. You don't give giftcards to your wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
wife should be happy that a gift was given at all . not the gift givers fault she is too lazy to go to the store. the person thought of your wife in positive terms and made the effort to do something for her.

cash is good for weddings, rude and insulting for a christmas gift. that's the gift that says I don't give a crap about you and I couldn't even bother going to safeway for a gift card.

I always think it's better to get a gift card for a store you wouldn't normally go to than get a crappy gift. at least with the card you get a chance to get something you want. what would your wife do if a gift was lousy from that person? throw it in the closet or garbage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
What a bummer of a thread. If people give me a gift I am thankful that someone was thoughtful enough to give me a gift. How depressing to find out that others find a way to make something like this so miserable.
The Wife opted in on a work place secret santa and received the card as her Christmas gift

Thanks for the assumptions, especially the one where "she's lucky to receive a gift at all"
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #39
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
*obviously did not read my post.
I'm sorry but why would your post have any bearing on my post? Quite frankly your post makes you come off as quite the ungrateful person.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: