Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #3441
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well there's always the hope Trump is gone before NAFTA is. Pence would probably do nothing with NAFTA, and would probably sign TPP too.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #3442
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It's effectively a 25% tax on all imported goods from anywhere. That's a job killing tax if there ever was one. No way it goes through as it starts a trade war with the entire world immediately.

At the same time it crushes US manufacturing as it appears that complete imported wouldn't be taxed the same as goods manufactured in the US with the raw products shipped in. It's a worst of both worlds policy.

Well done republicans.
This is pretty much exactly how the great depresin started. High stock market valuations and US led trade war for no good reason.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #3443
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Should have gotten oil and LNG pipelines to the coast years ago instead of selling to the Americans.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Violator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #3444
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Should have gotten oil and LNG pipelines to the coast years ago instead of selling to the Americans.

If only we could have predicted a sweeping Republican victory backed by President Donald J Trump 10 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #3445
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

If only we could have predicted a sweeping Republican victory backed by President Donald J Trump 10 years ago.

Well it doesn't take a genius to think it is a bright idea to diversify your customer base.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #3446
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Well it doesn't take a genius to think it is a bright idea to diversify your customer base.
Yeah but it's obviously much more complicated than saying "we're going to build a pipeline/refinery". If the top dollar bottom line for 20+ years was truck/pipeline shipping to US refineries instead, you know O&G always follows the path of least resistance.

Quote:
Old 01-19-2017, 10:40 AM   #3447
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprisingly, Trump has actually come out against the border adjustment proposal.

But yeah, they want to give massive tax cuts to the wealthy, and they have to at least make it look like they're trying to replace some of the revenue, so I guess this is their plan. The rich will see huge savings while the rest of the population funds this through a big increase in the price of goods. Trickle up economics at work.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #3448
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I found both of these articles interesting.

Peter Tertzakian: 4 reasons why a leaner and meaner Canadian oilpatch is back in the game

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...ck-in-the-game

Global energy is on the brink of ‘one of the most exciting business duels in history’: Peter Tertzakian

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...ter-tertzakian

Last edited by Faust; 01-19-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #3449
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Duplicate post

Last edited by Faust; 01-19-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:40 PM   #3450
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else at the CFA forecast dinner tonight?

I found the keynote speaker fascinating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Zeihan

Will expand on his points tomorrow morning.

But coles notes:

1. Americans will step back from protecting world trade routes (i.e. high seas).
2. Will lead to significant instability in Europe and Asia.
3. Population demographics are about to wreak havoc on the developed world.
4. Alberta should join the US.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."

Last edited by IliketoPuck; 01-19-2017 at 10:42 PM.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #3451
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

Wrong. I distinctly recall years ago this being a concern for many, many people in industry. Like, this exact problem. And yes it was made pretty public and ignored.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:44 PM   #3452
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Wrong. I distinctly recall years ago this being a concern for many, many people in industry. Like, this exact problem. And yes it was made pretty public and ignored.
Yeah people have floated the ol' Alberta refinery and coastal pipe ideas forever. Those with the money chose not to make refinery investments. Coastal pipe is slated to be built (eventually).

It's not like any of us had a say in who we sold crude to.

Quote:
Old 01-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #3453
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Anyone else at the CFA forecast dinner tonight?

I found the keynote speaker fascinating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Zeihan

Will expand on his points tomorrow morning.

But coles notes:

1. Americans will step back from protecting world trade routes (i.e. high seas).
2. Will lead to significant instability in Europe and Asia.
3. Population demographics are about to wreak havoc on the developed world.
4. Alberta should join the US.
I attended. He was very engaging for sure and raised some interesting points. The demographic aspect for Russia was certainly a different perspective. Kind of now or never for their army and to secure their boarders.

Edit: was fascinated by Amanda Lang's face barely moving when she spoke. I am not sure she could frown or smile if she was asked too.

Last edited by red sky; 01-19-2017 at 11:09 PM.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #3454
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah people have floated the ol' Alberta refinery and coastal pipe ideas forever. Those with the money chose not to make refinery investments. Coastal pipe is slated to be built (eventually).

It's not like any of us had a say in who we sold crude to.
Well hang on here because there is a big difference between refining and egress to other markets. Let's not combine the two because they are two massively different investments from the business community.

One is horrifically underwater and makes zero sense from a business perspective while the other could have, but didn't have the support of provincial, federal governments and as well local communities specifically aboriginals. Regardless of what people say, years down the road (or possibly sooner), people are going to wish these investments happened and will regret what Canada has done to prevent them or- if not actively prevented them- resented and not helped them come to fruition.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #3455
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone go to King's market update at the Petro Club on Tuesday?
I heard it was a packed house -- optimism

The deck;
http://gmpsecurities.com/Portals/0/C...2017-01-17.pdf
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #3456
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
I attended. He was very engaging for sure and raised some interesting points. The demographic aspect for Russia was certainly a different perspective. Kind of now or never for their army and to secure their boarders.

Edit: was fascinated by Amanda Lang's face barely moving when she spoke. I am not sure she could frown or smile if she was asked too.
I thought she did a really good job as a moderator. Kept the discussion moving along quite well. I was hoping for a bit more diversity of opinion from the panelists, though. Not that I want conflict, per se, but it seemed like both ladies were content to stay within their zones of expertise and not challenge any statements made by the other.

Zeihan's talk was fascinating.

Expanded notes:

1. North America (and specifically the U.S.) is doomed to be a world economic super power if for no other reason than having the largest basin of arable land in the world, combined with substantial natural transportation routes (rivers, etc.).

2. The U.S. is getting sick of taking care of the rest of the world as they have since the Bretonwoods accord.

3. Americans are largely responsible for globalization as a result of the outcome of Bretonwoods (agreed that Americans would effectively police the high seas and secure global trade routes).

4. The advent of shale in the U.S. is leading the Americans towards energy independence, therefore their interest in oil producing areas around the world is waning.

5. Americans will step back and start to let the rest of the world figure out how to maneuver for scarce energy resources.

6. Population demographics in developed nations suck, and everyone (Canada included) is about to see their primary tax contributors (baby boomers) move into retirement and become drains on the system.

7. Alberta is going to get taxed through the nose by the federal government, because we are literally the only province with a substantial economy in Canada with a somewhat normal demography.

8. Alberta should join the U.S.

Far too short of a summary, and I'm vastly simplifying his talk, but I found it a fascinating subject. He combined a critical analysis of global demographies and resource scarcity to evaluate the motivation of nations to take the actions they have. I.E. Russia has such an aging demography that their recent imperialistic action makes sense when looking at how their population base (read through to military) will look in the next 20 years.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #3457
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
I thought she did a really good job as a moderator. Kept the discussion moving along quite well. I was hoping for a bit more diversity of opinion from the panelists, though. Not that I want conflict, per se, but it seemed like both ladies were content to stay within their zones of expertise and not challenge any statements made by the other.

Zeihan's talk was fascinating.

Expanded notes:

1. North America (and specifically the U.S.) is doomed to be a world economic super power if for no other reason than having the largest basin of arable land in the world, combined with substantial natural transportation routes (rivers, etc.).

2. The U.S. is getting sick of taking care of the rest of the world as they have since the Bretonwoods accord.

3. Americans are largely responsible for globalization as a result of the outcome of Bretonwoods (agreed that Americans would effectively police the high seas and secure global trade routes).

4. The advent of shale in the U.S. is leading the Americans towards energy independence, therefore their interest in oil producing areas around the world is waning.

5. Americans will step back and start to let the rest of the world figure out how to maneuver for scarce energy resources.

6. Population demographics in developed nations suck, and everyone (Canada included) is about to see their primary tax contributors (baby boomers) move into retirement and become drains on the system.

7. Alberta is going to get taxed through the nose by the federal government, because we are literally the only province with a substantial economy in Canada with a somewhat normal demography.

8. Alberta should join the U.S.

Far too short of a summary, and I'm vastly simplifying his talk, but I found it a fascinating subject. He combined a critical analysis of global demographies and resource scarcity to evaluate the motivation of nations to take the actions they have. I.E. Russia has such an aging demography that their recent imperialistic action makes sense when looking at how their population base (read through to military) will look in the next 20 years.
Some of those points are really interesting and I've seen them made before (specifically on the natural transportation and arable land). I don't doubt the will of the US to pursue energy independence and they could hit it for the shorter term, but as we are all aware the depletion rate of the shale oil is quite pronounced. So I (as an outsider) wonder whether that independence is a little bit short-lived?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #3458
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's an interesting point Slava, and a very valid one as well.

I spent a large portion of his talk last night trying to think of areas where his arguments fell down. One of them was definitely the long term sustainability of shale given its high decline rate.

Many of his other points were tough to refute though. I don't usually come away from talks like that wanting to buy a book, but I will most certainly be buying his books.

The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #3459
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the issue of an aging demographic is also being looked at too much from one side only.

Yes, the population of every first world nation is getting much older. And yes, that means many people will stop being taxpayers.

However, they are also the wealthiest generation in history, and they are going to switch from being savers to being spenders of that money. They are also going to ensure that healthcare remains to be a growing industry.

Also, their exodus from the workforce should provide opportunity for jobs for others. In Canada, the aging demographic can be largely offset with immigration.

The taxpayer issue can be addressed by reshaping the tax landscape, with more emphasis on sales tax.

Finally, that wealth will eventually be transferred to others - younger others - effectively releasing it from savings.

I continue to believe that the big concern about the aging baby boomers will be a giant non-event. (by non-event, I mean a non-catastrophe... it will undoubtedly cause a great deal of change)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #3460
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think the issue of an aging demographic is also being looked at too much from one side only.

Yes, the population of every first world nation is getting much older. And yes, that means many people will stop being taxpayers.

However, they are also the wealthiest generation in history, and they are going to switch from being savers to being spenders of that money. They are also going to ensure that healthcare remains to be a growing industry.

Also, their exodus from the workforce should provide opportunity for jobs for others. In Canada, the aging demographic can be largely offset with immigration.

The taxpayer issue can be addressed by reshaping the tax landscape, with more emphasis on sales tax.

Finally, that wealth will eventually be transferred to others - younger others - effectively releasing it from savings.

I continue to believe that the big concern about the aging baby boomers will be a giant non-event. (by non-event, I mean a non-catastrophe... it will undoubtedly cause a great deal of change)
It may be wise, although highly unpopular, for the government to consider some sort of estate tax as the boomers start to die off.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote