Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I wish I had a choice of High School.

In Red Deer you only get a choice if you weren't in the Catholic system.
Really? Not about Red Deer specifically, but who really cares about High School?

I had to travel a long way to High School because at the time it was the only one that offered Catholic IB French Immersion. It was really nice of them to move everything I needed to within walking distance of my home the year after I graduated. I really appreciated that.

Bastards.

But in the end, its High School. Do basic work, get decent grades, mission accomplished.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #62
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Really? Not about Red Deer specifically, but who really cares about High School?

I had to travel a long way to High School because at the time it was the only one that offered Catholic IB French Immersion. It was really nice of them to move everything I needed to within walking distance of my home the year after I graduated. I really appreciated that.

Bastards.

But in the end, its High School. Do basic work, get decent grades, mission accomplished.
Well yah, I would have preferred not to take the bus an hour and 20 mins to and from school every day.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #63
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Well yah, I would have preferred not to take the bus an hour and 20 mins to and from school every day.

Misery builds character.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #64
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there anyone who has gone to Carroll in recent years who can talk a bit about what a typical school day looks like? Do you spend most of the day sitting alone studying? How often does a student attend seminars, and are these prepared lectures or just q and a sessions? Is it harder to make friends?
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #65
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Is there anyone who has gone to Carroll in recent years who can talk a bit about what a typical school day looks like? Do you spend most of the day sitting alone studying? How often does a student attend seminars, and are these prepared lectures or just q and a sessions? Is it harder to make friends?
I didn't go there, but from what I hear from people who went to Carroll, they don't seem to have any issues making friends.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #66
P-Rugby
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I graduated in 2013 if that counts as recent
Old 01-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #67
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Rugby View Post
I graduated in 2013 if that counts as recent
Yes, recent as in the past 10 years...
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #68
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We went to the Bishop Caroll open house a few weeks back, both of us and our son were pretty impressed. The teachers seemed approacheable, not a huge hs size, and the resources for students seem top notch.
Only downside is transportation from the NW.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #69
P-Rugby
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
We went to the Bishop Caroll open house a few weeks back, both of us and our son were pretty impressed. The teachers seemed approacheable, not a huge hs size, and the resources for students seem top notch.
Only downside is transportation from the NW.
I lived I scenic acres while attending BCHS, you can grab a bus from Dalhousie and your son will eventually turn 16 and be able to drive himself to school. My friends dad is currently a teacher at BCHS and he says they don't just let any teachers teach at carrol you have to be a special kind of teacher who wants to help a kid succeed and stay motivated.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #70
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
When I was at Carroll, everyone knew everyone for the most part. If you're not holing yourself up in a resource center all day every day, you'll have no problem meeting people. And a typical day is whatever you want it to be... literally. It's a fun school, but you get what you put in.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #71
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I enjoyed taking AP classes in high school. I found the more challenging course content to be engaging, and I generally thought the AP courses were taught by the best teachers in a given subject area.

However, I know the idea with passing AP exams is that you can get credit for junior-level courses at some universities. Looking back on it, if I had skipped junior courses in university thanks to AP, I would have had a difficult time. I don't think high school AP courses are appropriate substitutes for university courses.

That renders the AP exams (and their cost) to be almost pointless IMO.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #72
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
I enjoyed taking AP classes in high school. I found the more challenging course content to be engaging, and I generally thought the AP courses were taught by the best teachers in a given subject area.

However, I know the idea with passing AP exams is that you can get credit for junior-level courses at some universities. Looking back on it, if I had skipped junior courses in university thanks to AP, I would have had a difficult time. I don't think high school AP courses are appropriate substitutes for university courses.

That renders the AP exams (and their cost) to be almost pointless IMO.
I skipped a bunch of first level University courses due to my IB diploma. I was still better prepared than most of the people in my classes.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #73
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I skipped a bunch of first level University courses due to my IB diploma. I was still better prepared than most of the people in my classes.
I never understood the benefit of this - wouldn't you be better off taking the course in university, getting an A, and using it to boost your GPA?

I'd sure rather have an A in Math 251 than jumping straight into Math 253....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #74
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I never understood the benefit of this - wouldn't you be better off taking the course in university, getting an A, and using it to boost your GPA?

I'd sure rather have an A in Math 251 than jumping straight into Math 253....
Or you could save yourself a few thousand dollars and get them done in public school for free? Also, you lower your course requirement load for your first year University.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #75
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Aberhart and Wise Wood are "party schools" according to my Grade 10 son.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #76
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Aberhart and Wise Wood are "party schools" according to my Grade 10 son.
Wise Wood (my alma mater) is a weird school. In spite of being attended by kids from some of the wealthiest communities in the city, it has never been especially strong academically. It was also extremely cliquey - the Breakfast Club could have been scripted by a student at WW in the 80s.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #77
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Wise Wood (my alma mater) is a weird school. In spite of being attended by kids from some of the wealthiest communities in the city, it has never been especially strong academically. It was also extremely cliquey - the Breakfast Club could have been scripted by a student at WW in the 80s.
I was a WW '84 grad. We had freaks, jocks and preppies. And nerds like me.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #78
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Quote:
I took partial IB at HWW in the early 2000s (and now some of you have figured out who I am by my username).

Can confirm, there were "cliques", but I never thought it was that bad. Maybe movies made it seem like it'd be way worse than it was.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #79
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Class of '87. I was a punk/stoner.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #80
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Or you could save yourself a few thousand dollars and get them done in public school for free? Also, you lower your course requirement load for your first year University.
If you're angling to get into a faculty / masters program with competitive admission and you're on the bubble - many would gladly pay a few thousand for a 0.3 GPA bump.

Assuming the money isn't a limiting factor of course.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote